BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

He was superb today,his holding the ball up and running at them was first class,looks a different player this season.If only his shooting was the same standard as the other parts of his game he would be a top class forward,Get Shearer in to training to show him how to shoot ?

• Like 3

He is definitely a different animal this season. He was absolutely shattered by the end of the game and he put a hell of a shift in. 

When he runs at people he looks ungainly, but he does have a knack of keeping hold of the ball. He holds it up well and brings others in to play. I've also noticed that Kaminski seems to look for him as soon as he's got the ball in his hands for the counter attack. 

His final pass and shooting needs a bit of work, although he was unlucky to hit the post for Dolans goal. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

I know everyone is gonna shoot me down re: the fee/expectations....

But interested to see what the “never a player” crew have to say about his performances this season.

I've already said my piece and was one of said 'crew'.

On today's performance, when I thought he ran himself into the ground, was the conduit for several chances and his all round play was excellent, we may have a player.

There'll be nobody more pleased than me, if my thoughts and opinion on Ben over the previous 2 years are rammed well and truly down my throat.

Here's hoping.....

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

On today's performance, when I thought he ran himself into the ground, was the conduit for several chances and his all round play was excellent, we may have a player.

There'll be nobody more pleased than me, if my thoughts and opinion on Ben over the previous 2 years are rammed well and truly down my throat.

Here's hoping.....

I agree.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Here's hoping.....

Delighted to read this.

The lad was immense from start to finish today, looked a top Championship player.

If he keeps it up I think even the most optimistic of us will be eating a little humble pie.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

But interested to see what the “never a player” crew have to say about his performances this season.

Excellent today and heavily involved in the game having been pretty average so far this season. Not a goalscorer.

• Like 2

Definitely looks a different player. Needs to score some goals to justify or come close to justifying the fee etc, that side of his game is still missing. But most of the other things, especially today, very impressive.

51 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

He is definitely a different animal this season. He was absolutely shattered by the end of the game and he put a hell of a shift in. 

When he runs at people he looks ungainly, but he does have a knack of keeping hold of the ball. He holds it up well and brings others in to play. I've also noticed that Kaminski seems to look for him as soon as he's got the ball in his hands for the counter attack. 

His final pass and shooting needs a bit of work, although he was unlucky to hit the post for Dolans goal. 

Definitely agree with this. Hardly graceful, sometimes he gets past with one or two "lucky" bounces and then the ball is still with him but it is very useful.

Silly example, and certainly not a comparison! But Luis Suarez loves trying to nutmeg players, and often you see him luckily get past people, it will hit the defenders leg, then hit his and he gets past players fairly scrappily because of it. As long as you get past.

I think he watched a lot of Conway in his year with him too. Loves winning fouls for the team, occasionally will look for one when its not there and it wont work out, but it can be an important skill when it does. Has theatrically won penalties for us too, and often gets us up the pitch.

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’m one of that crew...

His best game for us by some margin. What really impressed me today was the effort. I think that’s been lacking at times over the last 2 years, but a shift and a half today... can’t ask for more than that. Mowbray seems to have found his role.

Sometimes looks clumsy and heavy footed... but it’s starting to work for him, bizarre as that may sound. Those unorthodox runs are getting us up the pitch, and at the very least we seem to get a free kick out of it.

His finishing is a definite weakness, to the extent it’s comically bad on occasion. That said, I couldn’t care less if the team are winning and he is contributing as effectively as he did today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

The one side of his game that has definitely improved is he is finally using his physicality a lot better, and his basic footballing skills like passing and running with the ball had slightly improved - though they were starting off close to 0.

There is a limited way in which he is useful to the team right now, but by the evidence he still can't shoot and hardly can we rely on him to change the game or create something special. He has a long way to go still. But showing improvement is always a good sign. 

2 hours ago, Mr. E said:

The one side of his game that has definitely improved is he is finally using his physicality a lot better, and his basic footballing skills like passing and running with the ball had slightly improved - though they were starting off close to 0.

There is a limited way in which he is useful to the team right now, but by the evidence he still can't shoot and hardly can we rely on him to change the game or create something special. He has a long way to go still. But showing improvement is always a good sign. 

I think the area of the pitch he's playing in at the moment suits his game the best. He's not nimble enough to be a winger and playing with his back to goal doesn't suit him either. Picking the ball up around the half way line and running with it like an old inside left is probably what he does best. He's not going to be a prolific goalscorer but he may make chances for other players.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Has anyone checked if he actually has a hole in his arse?

Cos he’s certainly a player

motm

Best player on pitch today and that's saying something considering the performances of Holtby and Elliot. Hope this is the start of us getting the player we hoped for. Seems confident and this will only increase after today. Chuffed for the boy.

• Like 2

Been a long time coming but he's now looking worth the punt, needs a season of being like that though rather than a few games. Confidence is a massive thing though and now he's got a bit stronger and is involved you can see the difference.

Still think he was badly handled for a lot of his time here that more than anything got his head hanging you could tell.  Anyway it doesn't really matter if he's finally found his feet.

Just now, tomphil said:

Been a long time coming but he's now looking worth the punt, needs a season of being like that though rather than a few games. Confidence is a massive thing though and now he's got a bit stronger and is involved you can see the difference.

Still think he was badly handled for a lot of his time here that more than anything got his head hanging you could tell.  Anyway it doesn't really matter if he's finally found his feet.

I think he must have been on something for 2 years and now he's been weaned off it. How else can you explain the difference?