BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

10 would be a decent starting target. Lets assume he gets 10, rather than of course at the moment it being hypothetical/extrapolated, even then does a 10 goal "wide forward" warrant a 7m fee? Not sure it does really. But of course it would be an unexpected and impressive improvement, that is for sure.

He's the only one that holds the ball up.

He's worth more than £7m in today's market.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, islander200 said:

It wasn't ages ago tho it's been said this season when he is playing well .

How come I don't see posts like this from you when posters were ridiculing other posters for saying they saw potential in Brereton and thought he would come good?

People have their opinions, even if I don’t agree with them. For what it’s worth, I never completely wrote him off at any point and more hoped he came good based on what he showed prior to this season, than expected him to tbh. That said, I was definitely concerned we’d spent a lot of money (for us) on a player that wasn’t contributing like I would have expected for such a fee. 
I’m happy to eat my words and enjoying the feed, words never tasted so good!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Theres surely no way that at the moment, he is worth more than 7m. His improvement is stark and very promising but he has only scored 5 goals as it stands in over 2 years so there is no way that anyone would pay that sort of fee for him.

Aye, he needs at least 8 for that.

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If Armstrong lifted his head up once in a while, Ben would have twice as many goals already IMO, he’s been making a lot of really good runs without receiving the ball.

I don't mind the leading goalscorer being single minded in front of goal, you've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't mind the leading goalscorer being single minded in front of goal, you've got to buy a ticket to win the raffle.

Personally, I think he takes too many shots that have next to no chance of going in - and none of his long-rangers have gone in this season. Shearer, Newell, Speedie etc all knew when to shoot and when to pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not sure about that Tyrone. Kenny Dalglish was a great goalscorer but like all the best players if he saw someone (usually Ian Rush) in a better position he always passed the ball. 

• Backroom

Delighted he’s starting to come good and his improvement is obvious, long May it continue.

Not going to rewrite history some of his previous performances were laughably bad, it seemed every game he’d shank one out for a throw or trip himself up, the glimpses of promise were few and far between.

The lack of fans and thus pressure has been a huge boost for him even though the fans were very patient in the grounds, when we can return you feel he’ll benefit from getting up and going in the quieter times.

Is it a bargain? Not yet, could it turn out to be? Yes!

And I didn’t think I’d say that 6 months or so ago 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally, I think he takes too many shots that have next to no chance of going in - and none of his long-rangers have gone in this season. Shearer, Newell, Speedie etc all knew when to shoot and when to pass.

He has been the consistently good player for Rovers this season so far IMHO. TBH would love to see him play CF for a bit, especially as all players we have up front have played in a variety of roles across a front 3.

Part of the problem is we haven't sold a player for a while so we don't realise how inflated the market is.

We naturally compare 7m to the fee we paid Rhodes a 20 goal a season player. Now a top English championship striker can fetch 30m if a pl club comes sniffing.

The key to Brereton is if he ever gets consistent enough one does. There's a large difference in expected fee if a fellow championship team take an interest in your player then PL teams wanting to take the gamble.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Wood26 said:

If you could buy Brereton now for 7 million, would you?

I certainly would.

Absolutely nobody is going to offer us £7m for him at this stage.

For a player who played 50-odd games before he came here and then played out of position he went backwards and his confidence crumbled.

Even his record this season isn’t £7m quality yet.

That said, he is finally going in the right direction and that needs to remain the case - even when Dack comes back. Hopefully it’s as simple as a team similar to Tuesday but with Gallagher making way.

Still need to see him perform consistently and not just when we are on top against 10 men.

Have to laugh at the Chile links though. He can’t cope with a few flat-caps shouting “get him off”. Imagine what a Chilean crowd would do!

8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It’s not that he goes for goal repeatedly, why not, and he’s pretty accurate when he gets a shot away. It’s more that it often takes him an age to wind up for a shot, giving defenders chance to throw themselves into a block.

Edited by Mattyblue

9 hours ago, bboy said:

We naturally compare 7m to the fee we paid Rhodes a 20 goal a season player. Now a top English championship striker can fetch 30m if a pl club comes sniffing.

Absolutely! The 7M we paid two years ago bears no relation to transfer fees now. As for the Rhodes fee, 7M then was a lot, a real lot!

22 hours ago, Wood26 said:

If you could buy Brereton now for 7 million, would you?

I certainly would.

There's a Nigerian prince I sent my life savings to who has promised a 10 fold return on my investment. It's a license to print money. I haven't heard from him for a while but I think he's just been busy. Can I send him your details, you're exactly the the type of shrewd investor he is looking for? ?

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

What a revelation this young lad's turned out to be.  The fella can flat dribnle the ball with some wonderful close control.  Shields snd holds the ball up well.

Busts a gut to get back amd defend.  I would love to see thnumbers.for grou d he civered on Tuesday.  Now adding a couple of goals he just seems to go from strength to strength.

Would it be fair to say, and I think it would that we have Covid19 to thank for Ben's turn around.  It was like a switch had been flipped the day we started behind closed doors.  He was able to play without fear of the crowdon his arse.  Let's just keep fingers crossed for when the fans return.  Fair to say Bambi on ice is now a gold medal winning figure skater.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

What a revelation this young lad's turned out to be.  The fella can flat dribnle the ball with some wonderful close control.  Shields snd holds the ball up well.

Busts a gut to get back amd defend.  I would love to see thnumbers.for grou d he civered on Tuesday.  Now adding a couple of goals he just seems to go from strength to strength.

Would it be fair to say, and I think it would that we have Covid19 to thank for Ben's turn around.  It was like a switch had been flipped the day we started behind closed doors.  He was able to play without fear of the crowdon his arse.  Let's just keep fingers crossed for when the fans return.  Fair to say Bambi on ice is now a gold medal winning figure skater.

But the crowd never got on his arse.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

Would it be fair to say, and I think it would that we have Covid19 to thank for Ben's turn around.  It was like a switch had been flipped the day we started behind closed doors.  He was able to play without fear of the crowdon his arse.  Let's just keep fingers crossed for when the fans return. 

With respect that's utter shite. He never got any abuse, he just wasn't very good, The noticeable difference is that he now seems physically stronger and a lot more confident.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

I really struggle with this theory that Brereton has suddenly turned his performance level around because there are no fans.

As others have touched on, Brereton has not been unfairly abused by the fans, in fact we have been very patient with him. No need for our own fans to make us out as a raging mob.

Also, if the difference is down to playing behind closed doors then the improvement is worthless if as soon as crowds return, he will return to being an incompetent clown!

That theory does him a disservice anyway. His application and effort have gone up lots, the change in style and formation seems to suit him and have found a role for him and he looks like he has bulked up. All more constructive explanations as to the changes in his game.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rigger said:

But the crowd never got on his arse.

It’s a myth that has become fact.

Mowbray is infallible, Venkys were misled and fans are to blame for any bad stuff that happens. If we’d all have just backed Kean and saw what he was trying to do we wouldn’t be in the mess.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

With respect that's utter shite. He never got any abuse, he just wasn't very good, The noticeable difference is that he now seems physically stronger and a lot more confident.

I think the OP is talking about BB 's fear (anxiety) more than what actually occurred. Genuine anxiety doesn't have to be based on events - just the fear of what might be.

No doubting the work put in by BB and the staff but BCD might have been just the drug/placebo he needed to get past it.

• Like 1

I think there being no crowd has hugely helped Brereton. It is way less pressure without fans in the stadium. I think the majority of fans were very supportive of him but I'm sure he could sense the frustration everytime he got the ball and mis-controlled it or gave it away (which was pretty much every time he was on the ball!).

His rise over the past 6 months has been incredible. We'll struggle to keep hold of him in the summer at this rate. In fact, the whole of our front three prob won't be here next season if we don't get promoted. 

• Like 1