BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but you don’t know how much he hears and how that affects him, so not sure we can say in-person abuse isn’t relevant.

Hopefully turned the corner psychologically now more than anything else - he’s always had the potential.

Definitely a confidence player, much like Gally it seems. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

He now more resembles the guy who had a good season at Forest and that was before any experience or mon strength developed. Strange how it was totally absent for last few years but it's a welcome return. If he'd shown a bit more like this a bit more often he wouldn't have got any of this stick that's being alleged has affected him.

Its always been his basic requirement to run about a bit more and try a bit harder that isn't down to 'stick' that's down to him. Also surely his confidence is boosted more by getting regular starts in a comfortable position and getting some rythmn rather than any lack of fans.

Still doesn't really look like a 7 million baller but the signs are encouraging. 

17 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but you don’t know how much he hears and how that affects him, so not sure we can say in-person abuse isn’t relevant.

Hopefully turned the corner psychologically now more than anything else - he’s always had the potential.

Maybe I'm harsh and I don't mean to be, but if he can't handle that then he's probably in the wrong game unfortunately.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Maybe I'm harsh and I don't mean to be, but if he can't handle that then he's probably in the wrong game unfortunately.

Unfortunately, there is an element of truth in that - but I think it says more about the nobheads giving him stick at games rather than the 19 year-old moving to a new club with the weight of expectation on him.

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it does.

But you can’t judge a fanbase by the rantings of a few pissed up imbeciles at away games (many of whom never step foot in ‘shit’ Ewood). However, as a whole, the crowd has been great with him and I was proud of us for that.

Quotes I heard week after week in Jack Walker upper in his first season (not solely at away games as you imply) shouted to him; “shit”, “a waste of money”, “You’ll never make a player”, “7million you’re taking the piss” etc 

....and at that point I think he’d started 1 game.

Just check out the first few pages of this thread. The slagging off, of a 19 year old after hardly a game is prevalent, and it’s justified as opinion; so why are you so convinced none of that spilt in to the ground?

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Quotes I heard week after week in Jack Walker upper in his first season (not solely at away games as you imply) shouted to him; “shit”, “a waste of money”, “You’ll never make a player”, “7million you’re taking the piss” etc 

Just check out the first few pages of this thread. The slagging off, of a 19 year old after hardly a game is prevalent, and it’s justified as opinion; so why are you so convinced none of that spilt in to the ground?

IV heard it at Ewood also, on numerous occasions.

Last time I put that on here I was told I was lieing and trying to paint our fanbase in a bad light .

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Obviously you didn’t read my post, I was replying to S8 stating what he’s heard at away games, of course people come out with shit at Ewood too, I’ve been listening to it since I was about 5 years old, but on the whole, the fanbase has been behind him

• Like 3

To be fair I'm sure we have all heard a grumble or two about BB, as I'm sure we all have had a moan ourselves about him (although some won't admit it.)

I think this happens all over the country, with 99% of players to be honest. Yet here with Brereton some are trying to make out like the whole of Ewood is out there baying for his blood.

I still remember as clear as day in 1994 sat in the riverside as Shearer went 7 or 8 games without scoring, I would have been 12/13 at the time and I clearly remember grown men in there 40s tutting and shouting "he's lost it that lad", "f*****g s**t Shearer" etc etc.

It's one that has always stuck with me and from then on I've pretty much learned to take no notice of it as if he can get "abuse" then anyone can.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

IV heard it at Ewood also, on numerous occasions.

Last time I put that on here I was told I was lieing and trying to paint our fanbase in a bad light .

Well I agree with you islander - the lad had pitchforks out for him day one because he cost seven or eight million.

The same rabble now attempting to justify that initial attitude towards a 19 year old player, whilst at the same time showing zero empathy for what impact that negativity may have had on the lad!

We also seem to think footballers don’t read these things, their ratings or other social media - some won’t but some will.

Personally this is why I’ve always sat on the fence when judging players until they’ve had ample chance - especially young lads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously you didn’t read my post, I was replying to S8 stating what he’s heard at away games, of course people come out with shit at Ewood too, I’ve been listening to it since I was about 5 years old, but on the whole, the fanbase has been behind him

On the whole? This thread is exhibit A. Go 30 pages back and tell me “on the whole” BRFCS had been behind him.

4 hours ago, JBiz said:

Look, my pie was cold and my beer wasn't.  I admit I overreacted and took it out on BB. 

• Like 1

He got stick because he was shite and didn't  put in the required effort that sometimes will cover for lack of quality in some fans eyes. The manager got similar stick for the way he was using him clearly not helping his confidence.  The fee certainly didn't help and that was neither his fault nor the fans.

Has he got he bit between his teeth now because he's grown up a bit and settled in ? Is it because his contract is ticking down ? Or is it because he's getting regular starts in a system that suits him finally ?

Either way he still gets stick when he doesn't play well as do others so it's clearly feck all to do with that.

3 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Surely must be? It’s a community group for the club.

If it isn’t, maybe it’s time we should be? 

You know brfcs isn’t representative of the wider fanbase, you’ve banged that drum for years when you were being accused of being ‘Mr Contrarian’ on some issue or other,  but now it ‘surely must be’ as it backs up your point about the massed pitchfork-ers in that bear pit down Ewood.

Good to see you are straight back into the saddle...

Just now, tomphil said:

He got stick because he was shite and didn't  put in the required effort that sometimes will cover for lack of quality in some fans eyes. The manager got similar stick for the way he was using him clearly not helping his confidence.  The fee certainly didn't help and that was neither his fault nor the fans.

Has he got he bit between his teeth now because he's grown up a bit and settled in ? Is it because his contract is ticking down ? Or is it because he's getting regular starts in a system that suits him finally ?

Either way he still gets stick when he doesn't play well as do others so it's clearly feck all to do with that.

He was getting it online  before he even kicked a ball for us though because of his transfer fee, something he had absolutely no control over.

On 27/11/2020 at 10:03, 47er said:

'The fans have been great, driving us on from home, and we can’t wait to have them back. It was disappointing we couldn’t have them there against Preston filling out the away end'

He doesn't seem particularly offended by Rovers fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

He was getting it online  before he even kicked a ball for us though because of his transfer fee, something he had absolutely no control over.

Such is life, he was still getting it before this season started and beyond so his form clearly isn't connected to it otherwise why has he suddenly come good ? 

It's been a fair turnaround it's not as if he was progressing slowly then it suddenly clicked.  For me it's just down to being played in his correct position, getting some starts and having the manager put some faith in him. A few good performances and his confidence has returned it's probably more relief to him than anything.

One thing that I will say as well is that whether its positive or negative, praise or criticism, once we get to the point where especially on a messageboard but even down the pub or even in the ground with our friends/family we cant give our opinions without sanitising them first (no negative opinions allowed) then surely we give up with the game as a whole? If a Rovers player plays well, we get excited, if a Rovers player doesnt play well, we get frustrated. Natural.

No one is condoning a minority of dickheads that you will get everywhere shouting abuse but I can honestly say that I have never at numerous away games and every home game heard anything of this nature, clearly I am not the only one, not saying it doesnt happen but it cant be that widespread.

This thread is full of criticism is because, both as a purchase financially and also moreso as an individual player, for 2 years his performances were terrible, not expecting the end product is one thing but there was barely a glimmer of optimism and indeed even his application was questionable at times. This became a place to moan and groan and vent, and a much more constructive one. Now his performances have massively improved, this is a place full of praise and full of optimism. 

Criticising a player on a messageboard is NOT abuse.

• Like 7

Just now, tomphil said:

Such is life, he was still getting it before this season started and beyond so his form clearly isn't connected to it otherwise why has he suddenly come good ? 

It's been a fair turnaround it's not as if he was progressing slowly then it suddenly clicked.  For me it's just down to being played in his correct position, getting some starts and having the manager put some faith in him. A few good performances and his confidence has returned it's probably more relief to him than anything.

I'm not saying abuse by some fans was the reason for his poor form prior to this season but I'm sensible enough to realise you don't make 56 appearances by the age of 19 in the championship or be valued at 7 million by the selling club if you are "useless", "conference player" "will never make it at this level" etc etc.We can rewrite history all we want but as JBiz said plenty of criticism of him on this thread before he had even kicked a ball for the club and when just played a couple of matches.

Brereton is highly rated within the game and although I can totally agree his fee could have been spent improving the first team immediately it's obvious he was bought for his potential and now we are seeing it so statements like I mentioned above are ridiculous

This agenda of indoctrination towards finding offence in literally everything that is sweeping across wider social media and out into the real world needs to be stamped out, quickly. Its tentacles are everywhere now and some seem to revel in it instead of just accepting it's the way the world works, rightly and wrongly.

Outright vocal abuse in the ground is wrong but its never happened towards him other than the usual football ground moans and groans. Message boards are the fans voice where they should be able to freely express their opinions on whoever and however as long as it's in the rules. 

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

I'm not saying abuse by some fans was the reason for his poor form prior to this season but I'm sensible enough to realise you don't make 56 appearances by the age of 19 in the championship or be valued at 7 million by the selling club if you are "useless", "conference player" "will never make it at this level" etc etc.We can rewrite history all we want but as JBiz said plenty of criticism of him on this thread before he had even kicked a ball for the club and when just played a couple of matches.

Brereton is highly rated within the game and although I can totally agree his fee could have been spent improving the first team immediately it's obvious he was bought for his potential and now we are seeing it so statements like I mentioned above are ridiculous

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it wouldn't be the first time this club or others have been severely burnt by spending big fees on so called good players. 

What is equally ridiculous as some of the comments is the point scoring now over things said 2 years ago. I think it's fair to say by this point not many actually expected much from BB so its a welcome surprise.  Lets hope he truly has found his level again and it isn't just a flash in the pan, otherwise the bad comments will return and those giving it the 'i told you so' will be looking a bit daft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it wouldn't be the first time this club or others have been severely burnt by spending big fees on so called good players. 

What is equally ridiculous as some of the comments is the point scoring now over things said 2 years ago. I think it's fair to say by this point not many actually expected much from BB so its a welcome surprise.  Lets hope he truly has found his level again and it isn't just a flash in the pan, otherwise the bad comments will return and those giving it the 'i told you so' will be looking a bit daft.

I'm not point scoring at all.Amd as for 2 years ago?It's happened on here this season.

Brereton had a poor game and id a poster quote one of my posts which was about Bradley Johnson, celebrating  that Brereton had had a poor game, more happy to be proven correct than Brereton coming good.

And it's been point scoring for 2 years from posters who never rated Brereton, anyone who gave a positive post about Brereton on here since he joined was rounded on and made out to be ridiculous and stupid for suggesting they could see potential in Brereton.

And as for you last sentence, I will say again people within the game rate Brereton and you don't make 50 odd appearances by the age of 19 with nothing about you.An awful lot of people were criticizing him when he signed before he had even kicked a ball for us!

Edited by islander200

Just now, islander200 said:

I'm not point scoring at all.Amd as for 2 years ago?It's happened on here this season.

Brereton had a poor game and id a poster quote one of my posts which was about Bradley Johnson, celebrating  that Brereton had had a poor game, more happy to be proven correct than Brereton coming good.

And it's been point scoring for 2 years from posters who never rated Brereton, anyone who gave a positive post about Brereton on here since he joined was rounded on and made out to be ridiculous and stupid for suggesting they could see potential in Brereton.

Not singling you out and iv'e already agreed its happened this season which is why i said the online critic can't have been anything to do with his previously poor efforts.

Anyway we are going in circles a bit here but my point is fans can call it as they want and the main reason he's coped it is because he's been poor.