BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

He was naff for a couple seasons and is now deserving of a start in our team on merit - might even be in the top 5 players right now. End of really, dunno why people keep arguing. I am happy to be proven wrong but I think even the most positive of fans had their doubts on the guy. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JBiz said:

I disagree - we went for the likes of Bamford and Celina but couldn’t get near wage demands. Hence assumption the deal we did didn’t go beyond a budget.

My view then, people “ignored reality” when using the fee to expect instant success. 

Age, previous experience and him being 3rd or 4th choice on our shortlist suggested (at the time) to me that this was one for further down the line.

The rumours, true or not, of us going for Bamford and Celina and not being able to agree wages, don't change a single thing about what I posted. That's just examples of us going for possibly more expensive players overall and failing. I never said anything about us spending above budget, I merely said it was a huge gamble to put so much of our budget into one young, far less tested player given our situation at the time.

Someone, you I think, made a good point that maybe we weren't ready to step up to a promotion level at that point or the season after anyway, which could be true. Impossible to say given what a bit of momentum from winning a few more games with a seasoned player can do, but still a good point.

Thankfully we have finally patched our defence together it seems, or else even BB playing as well as he is now wouldn't have saved this one as having a chance of being a good signing. Hopefully it all comes together this year and we can go up, before the potential exodus due to the contract situation, FFP, and having various saleable assets.

• Like 1

Mowbray gives injury update on Rovers attacker Ben Brereton | Lancashire Telegraph

Tony Mowbray said:

“He’s got a swollen knee at the moment, looks like the lateral side of his knee, so he’ll get it scanned.

I think as the tackle came in he got his foot stuck and the weight came across it and it’s swollen on the outside of his knee.

That would suggest lateral ligament but we’ll see.

He is walking on it which is good sign, but we’ll wait and see.”

I was one that completely wrote him off after his first 6 months here. Although I'm not going to slurp the Kool aid and say he's worth every penny yet I will certainly concede that he's a useful player for us now.

He looks strong and has a bit about him with his back to goal. Still needs to work on his first touch and not go to ground so easy but the change has been like night and day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:
TM on Brereton: "Swollen knee, we will get it scanned, he got his foot stuck in the ground and it's swollen on the outside of his knee. He is walking on it." #Rovers

Could be medial ligament which would suggest he might avoid an operation but need a minimum of 6 weeks out with rest / recuperation etc 

At least it doesn't seem to be a cruciate ligament injury like Travis and Dack. 

Shame as the lad had got his confidence back and was playing well. No wonder he looked dejected as he walked off. 

Gallagher needs to step up now but I wish Mowbray would play him at centre forward  with Armstrong given a free role in a 4-4-2 formation. 

If he ends up being out for a prolonged period if time, he will be a big miss. He's been great for us this season. 

If he is out for a while I'd be tempted to play with the following trio in attack now that Gallagher seems to have found his feet a bit. 

Armstrong - Gallagher - Elliott

5 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

If he ends up being out for a prolonged period if time, he will be a big miss. He's been great for us this season. 

If he is out for a while I'd be tempted to play with the following trio in attack now that Gallagher seems to have found his feet a bit. 

Armstrong - Gallagher - Elliott

I wouldn't want arma moved from his current position 

2 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

It's just for the balance of the side. Could switch Elliott over to the left and keep Gallagher wide. 

Yeah i get that I'd maybe do the same its just while the goals are flowing for him i feel just leave him as is maybe try Elliott or Dolan in breros position. What side does Chapman play.

Edited by Beanie01289

As well as Bereton playing well, which has been key he also prevents the Gally out wide experiment, which often doesn't work. Bereton will be a big loss both for his cotribution to the team, and who he keeps out of the team. 

Perhaps when Dack is back, he will be one of the three with Elliott and Armstrong. Gally I feel is much better suited as an impact sub and in the central role when he plays. .  

Gallagher has been much improved and has contributed well since the international break. I have always been a critic of him in a wide role but I also think that Armstrong is naturally a couple of levels above him so I wouldnt advocate moving Armstrong to accomdate Gallagher.

I do prefer Elliott in the front 3 and naturally he plays in the right but I do suspect that Gallagher may theoretically be better on the left cutting in rather than on the right.

15 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray gives injury update on Rovers attacker Ben Brereton | Lancashire Telegraph

Tony Mowbray said:

“He’s got a swollen knee at the moment, looks like the lateral side of his knee, so he’ll get it scanned.

I think as the tackle came in he got his foot stuck and the weight came across it and it’s swollen on the outside of his knee.

That would suggest lateral ligament but we’ll see.

He is walking on it which is good sign, but we’ll wait and see.”

What nonsense.

Van Dijk walked off around the pitch against Everton and he'd done his cruciate!