BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Its not about suiting my argument, I dont think that we should have signed Celina either as he is not in a position we needed. Im saying your estimate is a total guess, but as has been mentioned since they are on a very strict budget.

No I tried to make clear that the last 2 paragraphs werent aimed at you.

I'm only skimming. Having pints watching the city and Liverpool games. 

Sorry if I missed that. 

It is a guess, but with the money in football these days, it is plausible. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Over the last couple seasons in the premiership they spent around £70 Million just on Bony, Mesa, Baston, Clucas and A.Ayew all of whom were flops. Also that is without mentioning wages numerous reports put Bony being on around 100K a week at Swansea. Clucas was there one season and they made around a £10 Million loss on him, Mesa was their for half a season and they made a £3 Million lose on him. You don't take those sort of loses so readily unless you are desperate for the money.

Ya, that is damning no doubt. The perils of trying to stay in the premier league. It's funny because I think a good manager should be the main outlay. 

I still think that cutting their cloth accordingly could account for signing a Prodigy from city on 25,000 a week. I could be wrong, but it's just my guess. 

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.

Ben's cameo against Forest was probably his worst yet - incorporating the worst piece of control I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. I hope he's still banging them in in training as he could well get the top goalscorer in training sew on patch to go with his t-shirt before the end of the season. That would surely shut all his detractors up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

Brereton being on less than Nuttall you mean?

On account of the “flex”.

Yeah. If only we’d have paid more for Nuttall, we could have offered him a lower wage.

Bingo----the lower the wage, the more we have to pay for them!!! Its a strange world out there!

7 hours ago, Biz said:

First of all nobody is saying that different routes couldn’t have been taken. My own perspective is the criticism of BB and the club on this was premature, and continues to be OTT. There’s room for criticism - but not much of it is warranted/fair imo.

Fantastic example to say he has not shown any potential at all. We both know that is subjective, and from my perspective “bull shit”. If the standard answer is “when?” Just read through the thread, we’ve been at this part of the circle a few times already.

In hindsight I think everyone knows the answer to that question.

The difference of opinion lies upon my reluctance to completely write off a prospect as early as many did in this thread, and to suggest this is an utter distaster of a move, making little sense or potential to be “the worst transfer in 20 years” (or words thereabouts)

Thats not in anyway suggesting there aren’t obvious signs of this being a panic buying, or legs in the young / English / capital investment directive from the board/owners. 

I do also think there are reasonable reasons to see why we’d end up with a punt like Ben, in our scenario - wage, current stature / promotion prospects / his availability et al - whereas many do not.

Many see transfers as cost alone, not wages, taxes, personality, interest in club - so the idea nobody thinks transfer business is simple, is more on brand “Bullshit”

Hence why I said more time. You’re correct that it was a waste of time though,

Almost but not as boring as reading you use this one transfer to pad out every other criticism you post.

Still waiting for you to blame Ben for ticket surcharges and then we’ve a full house :) 

The classic "hindsight' argument again. I didn't need it to see this was a poor deal, confirmed by seeing how little we used him and how unready he was.

Those of us who didn't need hindsight were called out by others who did! Particularly you. Now you're saying we wrote him off too early! Clear implication that its time to write him off now! We just got the timing wrong!!

This was and is a bad deal. We have blown most of our summer budget on a player who isn't good enough to play, while ignoring the defensive inadequacies that were obvious to most at the time. And we are still looking to replace Graham!

"worst transfer in twenty years"------YES. Another Grabbi but Grabbi was a far better player. Brereton is so far out of his depth it defies belief.

Nuttall is far better and he was free. At least he can head it.

Dance on the head of a pin if you want, invent all the straw men you can (ticket surcharges or whatever) but you have spent months defending the indefensible, for what?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Husky said:

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.

Ben's cameo against Forest was probably his worst yet - incorporating the worst piece of control I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. I hope he's still banging them in in training as he could well get the top goalscorer in training sew on patch to go with his t-shirt before the end of the season. That would surely shut all his detractors up.

Nah his worst cameo was the one in December I think it was, at Ewood, but I forget the opposition. He barely even ran. Graham had been on the pitch for about 70 or 80 minutes already, and was still chasing down the ball as the opposition defenders passed it between them. Moments later, Brereton got the chance to do the same, and pretty much just sauntered towards the ball despite being younger, faster, and in dire need of impressing.

I thought he was pretty poor against Forest, but I feel I've seen him be worse on a few occasions. Shame as he has been a bit better lately when I've seen him, though still no great shakes. Pressure probably got to him against his old team - he seems to have a pretty thin skin I think. Which isn't very promising in itself.

Brereton’s best performance was probably away at Reading where he looked okay in the first half. That being his performance though is majorly worrying, hopefully he comes back after the summer a new man or else we’ll be lucky too get 700k for him never mind 7 million. 

Hopefully he fills out and develops a bit of mon strength over the summer, might be a big money deal but he looks what he is a very young raw player. I've a feeling after a full pre season here if he gets used correctly he might come in handy next season.

Still need another good biggish striker in the squad though imo.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

That’s about the best we’ve seen of Brereton today. He had a bit more endeavour about him and after a good little 5 minute cameo took the golden opportunity that came his way.

He did miss some chances in the second half but in fairness they were the kind that bounced just a bit higher than he would have liked and it needed a player with far more sharpness of mind and foot to take advantage. He is a labouring forward who will get goals if he is allowed to take three touches to ready himself. Can we accommodate that kind of forward? I honestly don’t know.

He certainly is not the successor to Graham as he runs away from a high ball rather than towards it, possibly hoping to capitalise on a defensive mistake, so we will need to change our style of play. The “Downing ball” (right to left punt) as we call it needs to stop being the default tactic, and we need to be engineering situations to get the ball to his feet in space. We potentially have the players to do that but he needs to be able to finish time and time again.

Today will have done the world of good for his confidence though, and I’m delighted that he got his goal.

• Like 5

Really pleased he scored but I'm still very confused about him as a striker. Hates heading the ball, and prefers to hang around outside the box than get in it.

He needs to put on some muscle and put serious training time with his back to goal and in the air. His current style isn't going to be effective for this team. He looks like he really needs to play alongside a target man in a 442  or if in 4231 then on the right.

Looking forward to see how he develops.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Really pleased he scored but I'm still very confused about him as a striker. Hates heading the ball, and prefers to hang around outside the box than get in it.

He needs to put on some muscle and put serious training time with his back to goal and in the air. His current style isn't going to be effective for this team. He looks like he really needs to play alongside a target man in a 442  or if in 4231 then on the right.

Looking forward to see how he develops.

Ya and if he does he could be a serious unit. Looking yesterday he is the tallest player we have, put some muscle on that and he could be a real handful 

• Like 2

As has been said you need your strikers to match the style of play of the team. Brereton is the type to run on to balls at pace rather than planting himself with his arse to goal. We can't expect him to drop in to the side and play the Graham role.

I think he'd do well at a team like Brentford who keep the ball on the ground, working it forward with a bit of trickery allowing the striker to latch on to through balls, as well as allowing quick balls inside from the wing, where the striker can take a touch inside before shooting.

Maupay has done that role at Brentford this year and has scored 24 - watching highlights most of his goals do seem to come from both latching on to through balls & cutting inside after running with it/taking a few touches.

We've got the players to play that way in the attacking third - yesterdays line up of Rothwell Dack and Armstrong behind Brereton for example. Mowbray's alluded to us developing that way long term so he might well turn out to be the type we need.

That said, he'd add a lot more to his game if he did go and bulk up. Whilst he probably isn't as good a finisher (not now anyway), the one advantage Brereton has over most other strikers of his type is height.

If he can add strength to the pace and height that he already has he'll be much more of a handful.

• Like 1