BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’ll certainly never make it at Rovers. But I also think a place on a second tier bench will be the pinnacle for him.

League 1 or 2 and there’s a chance he can carve out a decent career - but I think he needs to go this summer for his own good as he needs to move on from development football.

QED

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Nuttall has got more about him than Brereton but we have certainly not seen the best of him in the first team.

To be honest, I don’t think he looks happy. First Samuel and now Brereton getting a leg up at his expense).

However, he (2 in 15 league appearances) still has more goals this season than Brezza (1 in 24 league appearances). Joe has also had almost half the minutes that Ben has.

For all the nonsense that is “Brereton haters”, there are a lot of people giving him the benefit of the doubt and, as you say, he hasn’t had any stick at games. In contrast. there are certainly a lot of people lining up to write off Nuttall.

I'd agree Nuttall has more about him. Physical, lots of pace, very direct. There's more raw material to him. Still not great but gives defences more to think about than Brereton.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

For all the nonsense that is “Brereton haters”, there are a lot of people giving him the benefit of the doubt and, as you say, he hasn’t had any stick at games. In contrast. there are certainly a lot of people lining up to write off Nuttall.

Agree that people are being foolish writing Nuttall off when he’s come so far in 2 years. Bit of confidence, extended run in the team - I see him making an impact.

Much like Breo, we can’t use the same style with Joe, Graham is a master target man.

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I know where you're coming from, but it's very rare that a player who looked so off what is required became top player. I suppose two who could be cited are strikers - Kalinic and King. Totally written off by most fans but went on to have superb seasons for other clubs.

We have to hope Brereton is similar.

It's just when you look at a player like  Rothwell or Travis for example you can see immediately they have the required quality. And when you compare Brereton to that it seems a very big gap he has to grow through.

I would add to that a player he reminds me of. Remember a previous £7m player - came with a reputation for dribbling and scoring spectacular goals - never made it at Rovers but Big Sam reinvented him as one of the most awkward centre forwards to play against. Brereton is taller and quicker than Kevin Davies - we just need Danny to continue teaching him the art of centre forward play.

Nuttall is physically further down the line than BB and probably just a completely different type of player than Brereton. He suits the target man role better at present and he carries a goal poaching threat whereas Brereton looks as if he might develop into one who can make himself a goal.

Trouble with Nuttall he's also the type who needs to work his arse off every game to be effective and that's something that doesn't look like its dawned yet but then again he did have a brief bright spell then got potted again immediately.  He should've been natural first choice all season to go up top late on when DG went off but Mowbray seemed to prefer to shove Dack there and put BB wide.  I don't think that's helped any one of those but imo Nuttall will be shunted out of the squad to make way for Samuel when he's fit and he probably knows it.

Don't think his face fits with TM but he wasn't really his signing.

Just now, tomphil said:

Nuttall is physically further down the line than BB and probably just a completely different type of player than Brereton. He suits the target man role better at present and he carries a goal poaching threat whereas Brereton looks as if he might develop into one who can make himself a goal.

Trouble with Nuttall he's also the type who needs to work his arse off every game to be effective and that's something that doesn't look like its dawned yet but then again he did have a brief bright spell then got potted again immediately.  He should've been natural first choice all season to go up top late on when DG went off but Mowbray seemed to prefer to shove Dack there and put BB wide.  I don't think that's helped any one of those but imo Nuttall will be shunted out of the squad to make way for Samuel when he's fit and he probably knows it.

Don't think his face fits with TM but he wasn't really his signing.

Last line sums it up. Whenever he has started to look the part he has been dropped as part of some kind of rotation policy, or desperation to turn that £7m investment into a return.

• Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

We cant invest anymore time into Nuttall because Brereton has cost us so much money, that's the reality. 

It was the same with Samuel though. Going out and buying Brereton was a consequence of Mowbray already not rating him.

Not hating on Samuel I hope he gets fit again and is able to have a long career but I've just never rated him he's poor in front of goal and can be effective because of his size but only puts himself about when he feels like it.

Mowbrays handling of him has been a mixture of the way he's handled BB and Nuttall, constantly involved when he's offered nothing and there's been other options seemingly in an effort to justify the signing BUT used out of position and jerked about when he's hit a bit of form instead of letting him nail down a spot.

Probably be better getting rid of the pair of them and bringing in some kind of back up who you know has goals in him.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

It was the same with Samuel though. Going out and buying Brereton was a consequence of Mowbray already not rating him.

Or a mindset of “we’ve tried for Bamford et al, lets not leave the money in case in never comes back”

All in all - when you look at the squad, BB adds to it - whether it’s worth the money is a different story!

10 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Last line sums it up. Whenever he has started to look the part he has been dropped as part of some kind of rotation policy, or desperation to turn that £7m investment into a return.

Everytime I’ve seen Nuttall play I’ve not been impressed, he didn’t look very good in league one! He’s obviously stronger than Brereton and a different type of player, he’s popped up with the odd poachers goal but for me Nuttall is not going too be playing championship football in the future. I think in five years Brereton will have had a better career than Nuttall.. I’m happy too be quoted on this if it turns out too be absolute nonsense :lol: The reality is both aren’t really ready or good enough yet too be starting week in week out at championship level (Neither is Samuel)

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, frosty said:

Has to be Bre-re-ton, never heard anyone pronounce it differently.

Not so much about pronouncing it differently, but it’s a very difficult word to lipread and the audible difference between those particular sounds is very subtle at my level of hearing.

Only thing that prompted me to wonder was his nickname being ‘Breo’ (with an ee sound) among the players :)

Thanks for clarifying 

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

Just now, Songman said:

I thought his movement was pretty good, which hasn't really been noticeable when playing out wide for 10 mins here and there. Took the team 20 or so minutes to stop knocking that diagonal hoof they like to play to Danny Graham, but once they did Brereton began to get into the game. There's promise in my opinion.

Yep, his movement was excellent. He was running across their back four screaming for it down the channels. Armstrong does similar when he runs in from wide and screams for it inside the full-back. All that excellent movement will be a waste until we get someone in CM who can pass them the ball. Two DM's make those balls a lot more difficult because the DM's are too deep and the ball has further to travel. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yep, his movement was excellent. He was running across their back four screaming for it down the channels. Armstrong does similar when he runs in from wide and screams for it inside the full-back. All that excellent movement will be a waste until we get someone in CM who can pass them the ball. Two DM's make those balls a lot more difficult because the DM's are too deep and the ball has further to travel. 

To be fair he does have 3 attacking midfielders behind him, two of them excellent for this level - Dack and Rothwell.

The issue is in 4231 the key role for the CF is to get in the box, win the ball in the air, hold the ball up, bring the AMs into the game and finish. Maybe we'll have to adjust the formation to accommodate his desire to mostly play outside the box dribbling with his face to goal. But the price of that is potentially diminishing Dack and Rothwells attacking role if we go to a 442 or another system and put Graham up top alongside him.

Anyway looking forward to seeing what he can do tomorrow against a very decent outfit in Norwich. I guess we may play the same team. I suspect Norwich will play a high line and get tight in midfield knowing that Brereton will drop deep. It will be interesting to see how Rovers and Brereton cope with that.

Edited by joey_big_nose

18 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be fair he does have 3 attacking midfielders behind him, two of them excellent for this level - Dack and Rothwell.

Dack plays a lot further forward yer average normal No.10, he's invariably the only man in the box when players like Graham and BB are moving wider to get the ball. He's always there for DG's knockdowns, he isn't the one giving DG the ball. 

Rothwell tends to pick the ball up and run at the oppo or look for quick one-two's, he's again not the type to be picking it up in CM and playing through balls when he's out wide. 

We need to someone in the middle of the park who can spot a pass to release the attacking MF's and the striker. I'm not sure we have it ATM, although I've never seen Davenport play so he may be able to do it. Buckley may be able to as well but he looked like he needs a bit of bulking up before he's ready. 

Edited by blueboy3333

46 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Dack plays a lot further forward yer average normal No.10, he's invariably the only man in the box when players like Graham and BB are moving wider to get the ball. He's always there for DG's knockdowns, he isn't the one giving DG the ball. 

Rothwell tends to pick the ball up and run at the oppo or look for quick one-two's, he's again not the type to be picking it up in CM and playing through balls when he's out wide. 

We need to someone in the middle of the park who can spot a pass to release the attacking MF's and the striker. I'm not sure we have it ATM, although I've never seen Davenport play so he may be able to do it. Buckley may be able to as well but he looked like he needs a bit of bulking up before he's ready. 

Rodwell can pick a pass from deep and is perfect for the role you suggest, played one defence splitting pass v Bolton that Armstrong ought to have got on the end of.

Brereton needs to learn where goals are going to be scored, when our player has the ball wide he very rarely ends up in the box, I understand that heading a ball is not an asset in his game but even if Dack is in there our striker must be in there too.

• Like 1

If you're ever going to score goals as a striker you've got to get in and around the penalty spot area on a regular basis. I don't know how many Ruud Van Nistll ruuy ( spelling ) scored at United but it was a lot and 95% of them came from in and around the six yard area. We don't score many goals with long shots, mainly because we don't try them.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces