BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

From the minute he was spotted warming up the fans were cheering him on. 18 months on that’s testament to a very patient, supportive fanbase. 

I presume the Twitterati will be making note?

This is true, but I think us winning negates the negativity he might have received otherwise. Everything appears rosier after a victory. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

This is true, but I think us winning negates the negativity he might have received otherwise. Everything appears rosier after a victory. 

It was 0-0 when he was warming up and in his first 15 minutes on the pitch when he was being roared on.

• Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It was 0-0 when he was warming up and in his first 15 minutes on the pitch when he was being roared on.

No, I agree most fans are really supportive and want him to do well, I just suspect some who are "on the fence" when it comes to booing or cheering would quickly move to the booing of him if we were behind or lost. The support is great and it's what he needs. Has there ever been a player the majority wanted to succeed more? 

That’s a football crowd. Always some people who love to boo/get on the players back. 

I’ve known better players than BB get it in the neck, difference is these days is certain social media types will use said small minority to paint our fanbase as ‘horrible boo boys, think of his mental health’ and other such bollocks. Others read it and fall for it and it becomes gospel that he gets a load of grief.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a football crowd. Always some people who love to boo/get on the players back. 

I’ve known better players than BB get it in the neck, difference is these days is certain social media types will use said small minority to paint our fanbase as ‘horrible boo boys, think of his mental health’ and other such bollocks. Others read it and fall for it and it becomes gospel that he gets a load of grief.

100%. I agree with all that. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I thought he was excellent last night, his best performance in a Rovers shirt by an absolute country mile. 

I hope Samuel gave him a big thank you after the game because if it wasn't for Breretons relentless closing down of the Hull keeper the opportunity for Samuels goal would never have presented itself. 

It's also a shame that the ref didn't give the stone wall penalty as I'd have wagered anyone would have struggled getting the ball off Ben to take the pen! 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Madon said:

I thought he was excellent last night, his best performance in a Rovers shirt by an absolute country mile. 

I hope Samuel gave him a big thank you after the game because if it wasn't for Breretons relentless closing down of the Hull keeper the opportunity for Samuels goal would never have presented itself. 

It's also a shame that the ref didn't give the stone wall penalty as I'd have wagered anyone would have struggled getting the ball off Ben to take the pen! 

Ha ha, imagine the scenes if he buried one to make it 4-0 

• Like 1

Seemed a bit sharper than usual last night albeit against a poor side.

Hopefully it's not a case of him being an unused sub for the next three weeks and he gets another good half hour on Saturday to push him towards starting a few matches.

Although he hasn't looked up to much in previous cameos, I do think Mowbray has managed him terribly so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Seemed a bit sharper than usual last night albeit against a poor side.

Hopefully it's not a case of him being an unused sub for the next three weeks and he gets another good half hour on Saturday to push him towards starting a few matches.

Although he hasn't looked up to much in previous cameos, I do think Mowbray has managed him terribly so far.

The combination of the price tag and Tony’s ineptitude has destroyed him 

1 hour ago, Madon said:

I think excellent is stretching it a bit!

• Like 3

On 16/01/2020 at 11:59, Husky said:

I know people here love to quote from these kinds of websites, so I asked the internet and whoscored.com gave me their answer.

?

Screenshot_20200116-115544_1.png

I think we should all petition this website to have 'Closing down the goalkeeper' listed as Ben's Strength.?

Brereton came on with intent yesterday. He looked determined to at least commit to his actions and looked a lot more decisive. It made a hell of a difference and his pressing of the back line led to one goal and almost another in itself. 

Definitely the best I've seen of him so far. If he can keep this approach and show some confidence and belief in himself then I think he has something to offer us. Down to the lad from here, we could do with him at this point and hopefully he is given a bit of a run at least coming off the bench. If he comes good at all it'll be a huge weight off both him and the club. 

• Like 1

Swallows, summers etc. But if a 20 year old from the academy made his debut yesterday with that performance, we'd be going mad. 

Not defending the money spent at all, but it's fair to say that at his age, most players are only emerging to be first teamers. His touch still looked very heavy, but very much improved from anything we've seen from him. Just hope he manages to kick on until the end of the season.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

The combination of the price tag and Tony’s ineptitude has destroyed him 

From someone who is inept getting us to currently 8th is not that bad. Especially for a team that has not at all got the same budget or following as the other clubs in the championship

• Like 2

Just now, roverstdt said:

From someone who is inept getting us to currently 8th is not that bad. Especially for a team that has not at all got the same budget or following as the other clubs in the championship

We are mid table for both budget and following, which would then of course make a play off push a good season.

But let’s not pretend we are the paupers of the division.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

From the minute he was spotted warming up the fans were cheering him on. 18 months on that’s testament to a very patient, supportive fanbase. 

I presume the Twitterati will be making note?

The fans were singing his name for good spells during his time on the pitch last night.

Everyone wants this to work out.

• Like 2

I think Brereton is capable of becoming a decent player for us. I spent a bit of time with him the other week at a local event. He is a naturally confident boy with a lot about him. He has a bit of charisma and seems quite sure of himself. Reports of him in tears at a recent away game seem totally incongruous to me. Having watched him at extremely close range at Leyland during the odd Under 23 fixture, he is a talker on the pitch; cocky, and sure of himself. These attributes are massive in footballers. 

Last night he repeatedly demanded the ball and made himself available. He was determined to get involved and make an impression. I felt he was far more likely to score in his 20 minute cameo than Graham in his 70 minutes. In fact his introduction completely altered the dynamic in a positive way.

There is a long way to go in his development but he is still a boy. I would start him in the next few games as a number 9. I believe he will go on to have a better career than, say Sam Gallagher. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Thought he did well, with commitment.

Stone wall penalty at the end I thought, keeper went through him first before reaching the ball.

Even for Samuel's goal, Ben was open in the box and would have buried it if Dom had passed it back. Hope he kicks on.

Brereton showed his usual lack of control in that incident though. Was a sitter but his first touch was atrocious and the ball bounced away from him.

Absolute stone-wall penalty  I agree. If we'd still been 0-0 then there'd have been a riot (a little one!)

Brereton at last showed something, let's hope its a sign of the future and let's hope he never plays  on the wing again.

• Like 1

His best 2 games have come against a decimated Hull team and a very weak already relegated Bolton team. Both sets of opposition weren't very good - dare I say it nearer league 1 quality. 

My point being not so much to knock him, although I think a bit of perspective is needed, but rather why couldn't he have had a half season (hopefully) battering them in in League 1 or a similar league? Would have been the best practice possible for the lad and done no end to his confidence, match fitness and sharpness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Brereton showed his usual lack of control in that incident though. Was a sitter but his first touch was atrocious and the ball bounced away from him.

Absolute stone-wall penalty  I agree. If we'd still been 0-0 then there'd have been a riot (a little one!)

Brereton at last showed something, let's hope its a sign of the future and let's hope he never plays  on the wing again.

now that you have said it, he will probably start on the right wing the next game!