BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

54 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Think darrenrover has it right. He's not trying to boost the player but protect his "judgement". 

The reason I say this is because he is blatently spouting lies. As in if he said Ben has the potential to do X it's one thing, or we've not seen the best of him yet, that's fine. But to lie and say he hasn't done as well as he could because the other strikers are doing so well - which demonstrably from statistics and watching matches and highlights isn't true - isn't boosting the player at all. It's a porky, a fib, our strikers bar Armstrong haven't reached double figures combined. Half have played on the wing. It's utter fiction which undermines his and the player's crediblity. 

I'll be honest I didn't read it the same way as you. I think he acknowledges that last season Dack and Graham got goals and that's why he was perhaps not started often. 

His last quote: "his time is coming now and he has to step up to be the man". In fairness to Mowbray BB has been injured for most of this season so I wouldn't imagine he's trying to say the form of them this year has kept him out. He mentioned Dack and Graham, not Gallagher or Armstrong. The only mention of them players were saying they had goals in them, BB was included in that list.

I genuinely didn't take that interview as him saying he's not performed because those in front of him have, except Dack / Graham. It's him saying his time is coming and he has to step up and he has faith in his ability.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'll be honest I didn't read it the same way as you. I think he acknowledges that last season Dack and Graham got goals and that's why he was perhaps not started often. 

His last quote: "his time is coming now and he has to step up to be the man". In fairness to Mowbray BB has been injured for most of this season so I wouldn't imagine he's trying to say the form of them this year has kept him out. He mentioned Dack and Graham, not Gallagher or Armstrong. The only mention of them players were saying they had goals in them, BB was included in that list.

I genuinely didn't take that interview as him saying he's not performed because those in front of him have, except Dack / Graham. It's him saying his time is coming and he has to step up and he has faith in his ability.

It is tricky interpreting TM's guff! 

Even in the SDack Graham analogy it's still pretty flawed as that hasn't been the combination for most of this season! Graham has been phased out all too rapidly (although not covering himself with glory) and Dack has been our since December, it's hard to see this having been a factor at all this season. Add in too last season Armstrong was on the wing and Samuel was injured - ergo Bereton was 3rd choice yet still had no impact it's a pretty disingenuous comment and an act of covering himself. 

Any roads I have no idea where he is getting said confidence in his ability from. Has looked very poor most of the time from what I have seen and heard and feel that it's best just to cut our losses. Derby sounded a woeful display and there are far too many of them from Bereton to make me think he will cut it at this level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Mowbray's protecting his judgement in having signed the player for a kings ransom first and foremost. If he was an academy graduate, he'd have been chucked under the bus as others have been.

Blue blood is right to be annoyed.

If he'd been an academy graduate he be at Barrow with the other lads.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he should have gone out on loan in january,might have sorted himself out,i still maintain iv`e never seen a profesional footballer with less ability though,sometimes players don`t work out for you,it`s best to get shut and move them on,i don`t think he`s going to make it here

Can you imagine the uproar if he went somewhere else and was a success. It might have to be admitted that the problem is with the set-up at the Rovers 

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Can you imagine the uproar if he went somewhere else and was a success. It might have to be admitted that the problem is with the set-up at the Rovers 

we`de have found out what the problem was though would`nt we,we can`t keep him here for the length of his contract by cosetting him,i think even ray harford would struggle to get this lad to the level required

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he'd been an academy graduate he be at Barrow with the other lads.

Not sure he'd make Barrow Tyrone - Pleasington on a Sunday maybe - dont think I've seen anyone as technically and tactically as poor in a Rovers shirt for a long time- he won't make it here or anywhere else sadly - there is not even a glimmer of a footballer here

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rigger said:

Can you imagine the uproar if he went somewhere else and was a success. 

I can't imagine him being a success anywhere. That's the key problem. 

Actually I'm 99% certain that that's the case, but 100% certain he isn't going to be a success here without some kind of loan away from the club. All the more baffling why we didn't let him out on loan. 

Just now, rigger said:

We have, Brereton, Gallagher, Bell,  Bennett all performing poorly yet still getting picked! Who is to blame?

Yep, obvious answer. In the case of 2 at least its made worse by being out of position. In Bell's case he's the only choice available too. 

No team can afford to carry 3 or 4 players even before you consider others' fitness issues or off days. 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

We have, Brereton, Gallagher, Bell,  Bennett all performing poorly yet still getting picked! Who is to blame?

to be fair to bell,he has`nt done badly in the last few months,bennett is mowbrays houseboy,he`d get picked if scored 3 own goals and started tackling his own players,gallagher suffers from mowbray ****** him about and shuffling him about,though in reality he`s never going to pull up any trees

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

to be fair to bell,he has`nt done badly in the last few months,bennett is mowbrays houseboy,he`d get picked if scored 3 own goals and started tackling his own players,gallagher suffers from mowbray ****** him about and shuffling him about,though in reality he`s never going to pull up any trees

As a defender Bell is awful 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Mowbray’s wording has subtly changed from “He will..” to “He needs to...” ie nothing to do with me Guv.

I watched the first goal vs Derby again and Brereton was just pathetic at the beginning of their move, running away from the guy who burst past Downing. You can see Downing yelling and pointing Brereton to the guy but he does nothing. So then it’s a two in one against Travis and bang, 1-0

73ECCA75-02CC-4C6A-9FF0-4CB78AEEF949.jpeg

Don’t worry, he offers so much going the other way. Oh wait. 

• Moderation Lead
27 minutes ago, rigger said:

Saving face would be my guess.

But I agree, we should have!

36 minutes ago, rigger said:

As a defender Bell is awful 

He is but like on Sunday he's ok going forward in space so that clouds the judgement a bit I suppose.

Defencively he's crap just so easy to get round or past. He could've cost a couple before Derby got their first. Bennett at least has the excuse that's not his position.

Like Samuel and o e or two others when the opportunity arises because their deals are nearly done they simply must be moved on. It's a chance to upgrade anything else is going over old ground with tried and tested not good enough for where we want to be.

That's the thing though, just where do those making the decisions want to be ?

Upgrade whenever you can or tread water forever.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue blood said:

It is tricky interpreting TM's guff! 

Even in the SDack Graham analogy it's still pretty flawed as that hasn't been the combination for most of this season! Graham has been phased out all too rapidly (although not covering himself with glory) and Dack has been our since December, it's hard to see this having been a factor at all this season. Add in too last season Armstrong was on the wing and Samuel was injured - ergo Bereton was 3rd choice yet still had no impact it's a pretty disingenuous comment and an act of covering himself. 

Any roads I have no idea where he is getting said confidence in his ability from. Has looked very poor most of the time from what I have seen and heard and feel that it's best just to cut our losses. Derby sounded a woeful display and there are far too many of them from Bereton to make me think he will cut it at this level. 

Nah, I'm probably inclined to agree with you on the ability side of it. I haven't seen much in any performance really and didn't buy into the whole mini-hype after a few decent cameos. I struggle to see what he brings to us unfortunately. 

When you compare it to the likes of Watkins, Benrahma and co at Brentford it is gut wrenching we've landed up with him. There are far better players out there for sure. 

• Like 2

Brereton has shown the odd glimpse, Hull and Swansea sub appearances at home spring to mind.

I'm not convinced there is much there though as every time prior to those sub appearances, and the games that he has started he has looked like he has never played the game before, however I also think he has been very poorly managed by Mowbray.

Whether he would go on and do ok elsewhere, I don't know.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

i would love to know who gave the go ahead to sign a player for 7 million quid who can barely function at this level,for that sort of cash you expect the real deal and 15/20 goals a season,sometimes it does`nt work out for a player,id`e put him on the list,get what you can for him and move on,if mowbrays keeps him it`s going to take a massive amount of time coaching him to even get him up to standard,even then it might not work out

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He resembled an actual footballer, which was a marked improvement.

Easily one of the top 5 players on the pitch.

I'm all for criticism, I am a very critical person, but you can't be so overtly unfair. If we're going to criticise a player for bad performances (which we should), you have to be able to muster up the courage to admit when that person proved you wrong for a game. He certainly proved me wrong against City.

Proved me wrong how? I don’t flip flop and judge players on one performance be it good or bad. You obviously do as you wanted Samuel gone before lockdown as he was ‘nowhere near good enough’, and now he MUST be signed up for a new contract after a 25 minute cameo.

He resembled a footballer on Saturday, so a marked improvement. He’s a long way to go to be the real deal. Perfectly fair comments.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4