Stuart

Ben Brereton

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

I missed Holtby out by mistake so 12. And I think you can only call JRC, Vale, Buckley and Butterworth true Academy graduates.

Ah yeh Holtby. They're the only true Academy graduates, but they're not the only ones that are from or were signed for the u23s. Dolan is a welcome surprise, not an attempt to buy a first teamer.

On 02/09/2020 at 04:03, philipl said:

I have no idea how you fit Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Dack, Rothwell, Dolan, JRC together let alone Vale, Buckley,Butterworth, Chapman.

Rothwell plays CM. Chapman doesn't play. 

Vale and Butterworth are just breaking through - perhaps they need to go out on loan. 

I think the bigger question is where do you play Wonderkid Buckley and Dack? 

15 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Vale and Butterworth are just breaking through - perhaps they need to go out on loan. 

left and right back

On 02/09/2020 at 04:03, philipl said:

Gallagher was signed as a Brereton replacement or cover for the Brereton first season embarrassment if we are being realistic and was then pushed into playing totally out of position.

Gallagher for me is the mistake 

Brereton is firmly in the don't know column. What we are seeing now is a world removed from the 19 year old we signed. The Blackpool goals suggest there is another level to Ben's game which we hopefully will see this season.

I have no idea how you fit Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Dack, Rothwell, Dolan, JRC together let alone Vale, Buckley,Butterworth, Chapman.

Yet at the back, we cannot find a first level back up or even a reliable first choice.

This is inexcusable from Mowbray who has had three and a half seasons to mould a squad and created an odd job set of all-sorts he is relying on to.be flexible enough to play out of position.

Thing is even in what you have mentioned it doesn't fit together. Where does Dack play in a 4-3-3? He's best in the hole. Likewise of those you mention a lot are young and promising and aren't guarenteed championship quality. In fact  only 5 of them have played a decent amount of championship football. 2 have looked good but Gally and Bereton poor and Rothwell very mixed. So in terms of proven championship quality that's 2, charitably 3 of 10. That's a hell of a risk. Don't get me wrong I think there's some promising players in the rest of them but to only have 2 of your offensive players being reliable quality that's a heck of a gamble and poor planning imo. Even if a few of the promising players come good, it's a lot to expect them to come good in one season. Add in that the lack of seasoned pros to protect and assist the youngsters in a measured development and it looks to be a very badly mismanaged lot. 

I can't believe this had slipped to page two!?

Why do we play him? 

On 16/09/2020 at 22:03, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's a £7m face-saving exercise for Mowbray. 

Dunno if he's saving face by constantly playing him. 

It's now become slightly embarrassing.

Has Ben learned how to trap a ball yet?

Has Ben learned how to move off at pace once he's trapped a ball?

If Ben come through our academy rather than us paying 7 million pound what would we be saying about him?

The guy is 21 years old and has potential. It can't be denied that he has improved since coming back from lockdown. He has worked hard in the gym and has bulked up and had a good pre-season.

Everyone moans about his goal scoring record but how many 90 mins has he played as a striker? A handful? Half a dozen?

Is it the lads fault that Tony decided to pay 7 million for him?

Is it his fault that Tony has consistently played him out of position?

I think this season he will score half a dozen to 10 goals IF played as a forward. 

Lets get behind the lad he has talent and yes he is pretty raw but he is only 21 years old.

10 hours ago, Prelude said:

If Ben come through our academy rather than us paying 7 million pound what would we be saying about him?

The guy is 21 years old and has potential. It can't be denied that he has improved since coming back from lockdown. He has worked hard in the gym and has bulked up and had a good pre-season.

Everyone moans about his goal scoring record but how many 90 mins has he played as a striker? A handful? Half a dozen?

Is it the lads fault that Tony decided to pay 7 million for him?

Is it his fault that Tony has consistently played him out of position?

I think this season he will score half a dozen to 10 goals IF played as a forward. 

Lets get behind the lad he has talent and yes he is pretty raw but he is only 21 years old.

Even if we naturally dismiss your nonsense about people moaning and not getting behind him...

The price tag has to play a part but even without it, on his individual merits, he has looked out of his depth for most of his Rovers career, which has progressed to offering zero goal threat but going on maybe a couple of neat dribbles in unharmful areas. He also had a good pre season last year, it meant nothing.

Why do you think he would get 6-10 as a striker? He played up front on Tuesday and he never gets into the box. He doesnt have the goalscoring instinct, and even when he gets presented with chances he misses, v Bristol City he was put through by a defender and fell over his feet, v Doncaster Armstrong unselfishly squared it for an empty net, he missed the target, v Newcastle the ball fell to him and he couldnt get it out of his feet.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has worked hard in the gym and has bulked up

So have I and I'm paying for the privilege. I also didn't used to fall over when presented with an open goal. Well, not unless it was an 11am Sunday game and I was still hammered.

On 04/09/2020 at 20:34, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd bet good money Vale and Butterworth will look more promising than Butterworth if the get some game time.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if we naturally dismiss your nonsense about people moaning and not getting behind him...

The price tag has to play a part but even without it, on his individual merits, he has looked out of his depth for most of his Rovers career, which has progressed to offering zero goal threat but going on maybe a couple of neat dribbles in unharmful areas. He also had a good pre season last year, it meant nothing.

Why do you think he would get 6-10 as a striker? He played up front on Tuesday and he never gets into the box. He doesnt have the goalscoring instinct, and even when he gets presented with chances he misses, v Bristol City he was put through by a defender and fell over his feet, v Doncaster Armstrong unselfishly squared it for an empty net, he missed the target, v Newcastle the ball fell to him and he couldnt get it out of his feet.

I can almost see you putting on your black cap, as you utter the final phrase!

Lots of people who watch a lot of academy and first team games say that Butterworth and Vale are well ahead of Brereton in terms of both ability and potential.

That is a very difficult comparison to make, when one player is solely playing first team games and the other 2 only against kids.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

That is a very difficult comparison to make, when one player is solely playing first team games and the other 2 only against kids.

Brereton also had a stint in the 23s let's not forget. 

Watching games you can definitely tell regardless of opposition I think, but yes I agree to some extent.

14 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lots of people who watch a lot of academy and first team games say that Butterworth and Vale are well ahead of Brereton in terms of both ability and potential.

Fingers crossed, that'd be a nice problem to have.

20 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Has Ben learned how to trap a ball yet?

Has Ben learned how to move off at pace once he's trapped a ball?

He's better than Sam.

23 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Fingers crossed, that'd be a nice problem to have.

Yes I remember seeing an excellent pass from Butterworth and an instinctive finish from Vale in the U23s. Really do see them as better prospects than BB and Gallagher. 

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd bet good money Vale and Butterworth will look more promising than Butterworth if the get some game time.

Well yes, I fully expect the two of them to look better than just one of them ;)

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Brereton also had a stint in the 23s let's not forget. 

Watching games you can definitely tell regardless of opposition I think, but yes I agree to some extent.

And didn't he have a pretty good goals record when he played in the u23s?

He will forever have a big doubt over his place over him (or should) until he starts scoring goals or offering a goal threat.