BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Come on now. If he was an academy lad would you say the same?

Can’t imagine why I wouldn’t. In fact I used to regularly give opinions of academy players when I watched the youth team at Brockhall and at Ewood in the youth cup. 

I really don’t see a problem here. If it was high praise Brereton was getting, that would be 100% acceptable from those fans who think it’s too early to give any kind of opinion when it’s not a good opinion. 

Just roll with it, it’s football and it’s a messageboard.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

As a bit of an old fashioned 4-4-2 chap, I could imagine Brereton and Armstrong making a very useful front two partnership.  Shame that will never get utilised. 

Wholeheartedly agree, in fact started posting something similar but resisted. My view would be more of a 4-3-1-2 with Dack as the '1' and full backs with a licence to attack as and when down the flanks. Just an opinion......

• Like 1

After DG's misses against QPR and knowing the height of the Rotherham side, there was a very strong case for starting BB as CF yesterday.

As it is he has run the inside right channel twice in two consecutive 15 minute substitute cameos and made two goals.

DG had another miserable afternoon so Brereton's starting chance cannot be that far away.  

• Like 1

Again the lack of a genuine back up striker was highlighted yesterday, I don't feel that should reflect on BB there should be another decent striker in the squad to back up DG and keep the pressure off Brereton.

Could end up being the difference between a good season and an average one.

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Our whole style of play is very dependent on that Graham focal point, which is what probably keeps him in the side even when his form drops.

Nobody is undropable though and I imagine the manager is giving it serious thought...

I like Graham and would normally agree with you but he hasn't really acted as a focal point for a few games now. The ball isn't sticking to him, in fact he is hardly touching it at all. He is also missing some decent one on one chances. I'm afraid he is looking a bit weak, and dare I say old. 

For all he is currently contributing you might as well have a Jordan Rhodes type. At least he is scoring.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Our whole style of play is very dependent on that Graham focal point, which is what probably keeps him in the side even when his form drops.

Nobody is undropable though and I imagine the manager is giving it serious thought...

He didnt hold the ball up, win headers, chasing down defenders which is rare. Is he carrying a knock? 

We have to start playing Brereton and adapt our style

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why not get Brereton to adapt to our style?

That would be the ideal scenario, as he could also have his own strengths. The thing is I don't think he can do what Graham does yet. At his best, Graham is a very smart centre forward who uses his strength and experiences together to get the better of defenders. Brereton can learn that, but could take time. 

I thought Graham looked sluggish in the last 2-3 games. Finishing a little off too. Mowbray seems afraid to drop him though. It's kind of understandable. An experienced target man on loan in January could be an option 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He isnt a target man. His game is based on movement, running in behind defences and with the ball. Graham is target man who hold the ball up, wins headers. 

so what is required is for the person delivering the ball to realise who they are passing to, and give the correct ball.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Agreed, that is an obvious concern especially with the partnership he has with Dack.

I do think that if and when Mowbray does select Brereton over Graham, he needs to be trusted to do more in central areas. It can be frustrating to see someone lining up a cross, as happened on more than one occasion yesterday, with our striker stood near the touchline, presumably on management instructions as another cross doesnt end on a Rovers head/foot.

3 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I like Graham and would normally agree with you but he hasn't really acted as a focal point for a few games now. The ball isn't sticking to him, in fact he is hardly touching it at all. He is also missing some decent one on one chances. I'm afraid he is looking a bit weak, and dare I say old. 

For all he is currently contributing you might as well have a Jordan Rhodes type. At least he is scoring.

Graham will be back on form soon, hes had a couple of poor games in a row but has been excellent this season and has been written off prematurely before. No player can maintain form for an entire season.

And you speak as if scoring goals is a minor justification towards a starting spot. All Dack is doing at the moment is scoring as his all round game has dipped, and most of his goals this season have been tap ins, but no matter how bad the rest of his game is, if he keeps scoring, he is undroppable. I find it very strange how underestimated scoring goals have become in judging performances!

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He isnt a target man. His game is based on movement, running in behind defences and with the ball. Graham is target man who hold the ball up, wins headers. 

I don't think that playing the most long balls in the league suits either of them to be honest. Graham has in many games made the best of a bad situation, but we need to be far more inventive in terms of getting the ball forward. The stats I have quoted in the Rotherham thread show that it has to be an area, both for Mowbray and the players to look towards working on. We have plenty of inventive attacking players that play between the lines, Lenihan has been a colossus lately but he is as prone as anyone to the aimless hoof from back to front, we need more composure to play the ball to feet, and we need to play at a far higher tempo, from the start especially at home. I also think that Mowbrays selection of attacking players (Palmer and Armstrong) on both sides is one that should be repeated, again especially at home.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Then in that case he isn't going to get in the team as a striker. We are hardly going to change the way that we have been playing (and having success) just to suit one player. If he want's to start through the middle then he is going to have to adapt his game. It's a lot easier for one player to adapt his game than a whole team having to adapt their style just to suit one player.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Again the lack of a genuine back up striker was highlighted yesterday, I don't feel that should reflect on BB there should be another decent striker in the squad to back up DG and keep the pressure off Brereton.

Could end up being the difference between a good season and an average one.

If an employer pays a small fortune for your services then as an employee you should feel some pressure to deliver !

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He didnt hold the ball up, win headers, chasing down defenders which is rare. Is he carrying a knock? 

We have to start playing Brereton and adapt our style

Graham is nearing the end of his career.

As for Brereton, yes, you have to play to a player's strengths but you don't sign players who don't match your vision about style of play!

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham was once very mobile - as you get older, or injuries take their toll, you have to change your game.

Big Al did the lot until his final years.