BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

I don't get why whatever the score is be we winning, losing or drawing Mowbray will always bring him on. Did anyone really think when he came on today oh good Brereton's coming on he can be our match winner? What was the thinking in bringing him on today? It's as though Mowbray knows that he isn't good enough to start but as he has spent so much money on him he feels inclined to give him a run out.

Edited by Ewood Ace

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't get why whatever the score is be we winning, losing or drawing Mowbray will always bring him on. Did anyone really think when he came on today oh good Brereton's coming on he can be our match winner? What was the thinking in bringing him on today? It's as though Mowbray knows that he isn't good enough to start but as he has spent so much money on him he feels inclined to give him a run out.

Which is why the money matters and why I think the U23 spell option will be a conundrum. Hopefully Joe can go on loan early January and avoid destroying two players in one move.

A mess is the right word to describe it, Matty.

• Like 1

Poor when he arrived today. No final ball, no quality at all. Looked out of position and lacking presence. I’d love to see us change formation to 2 up front now and then to better accommodate AA and Ben.

One thing about the massive criticisms though; I noticed a very different expectation. KP came on, gave the ball away, failed to track, had no final ball and seemed to get progressively worse, yet the people around and behind me made no comment.

BB’s first touch, second touch and further had comments - many “he’s shit”, “why have we spent 7.5m”, “he’s not even a footballer”...

Now I don’t really think Ben looks a wide attacker yet, like Armstrong is developing into, he’s 19 and still raw... why is the expectation so high?

Reason is price. I personally don’t think it should be like that, but I felt it today - the people around me genuinely vociferously more critical purely based on the contract scenario of both subs!

The irony of it all.. one lad behind me said “he looks so short of confidence”.... no fucking wonder!

Not like that around us. Palmer got a load of ‘lazy’, ‘show pony’ ‘send him back to Chelsea’ etc etc.

BB it was more worried looks saying ‘we’ve made a rick here’ and groans on his many, many poor touches. Personally think he could’ve received much worse at Ewood so far, considering.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz said:

Poor when he arrived today. No final ball, no quality at all. Looked out of position and lacking presence. I’d love to see us change formation to 2 up front now and then to better accommodate AA and Ben.

One thing about the massive criticisms though; I noticed a very different expectation. KP came on, gave the ball away, failed to track, had no final ball and seemed to get progressively worse, yet the people around and behind me made no comment.

BB’s first touch, second touch and further had comments - many “he’s shit”, “why have we spent 7.5m”, “he’s not even a footballer”...

Now I don’t really think Ben looks a wide attacker yet, like Armstrong is developing into, he’s 19 and still raw... why is the expectation so high?

Reason is price. I personally don’t think it should be like that, but I felt it today - the people around me genuinely vociferously more critical purely based on the contract scenario of both subs!

The irony of it all.. one lad behind me said “he looks so short of confidence”.... no fucking wonder!

I don't know where you sit but around where I sit in the JW Upper fans were as critical of Palmer as they were Brereton. Neither are worthy of a place on the bench and after Mowbrays comments I'll be surprised if Palmer stays with us but we are stuck with Brereton.

No it’s a mess, the lad’s confidence is at rock bottom and he’s considerably weakening the side every time he comes on.  This kind of spell could seriously derail his career. It’s awful to witness and even you can’t put a spin on it.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, arbitro said:

I don't know where you sit but around where I sit in the JW Upper fans were as critical of Palmer as they were Brereton. Neither are worthy of a place on the bench and after Mowbrays comments I'll be surprised if Palmer stays with us but we are stuck with Brereton.

One should be further on in their development, and it might be a bit of a rare perspective but I’d personally give our own players more time.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

No it’s a mess, the lad’s confidence is at rock bottom and he’s weakening the side every time he comes on.  This kind of spell could seriously derail his career. It’s awful to witness and even you can’t put a spin on it.

No spin. We are in transition from relegated- promoted- championship and 19 year olds are expected to come on and change games single handed.

• Backroom

Around me Palmer got abuse when we gave the ball away on the opposite side of the field, moaned at when he won a free kick and every other thing he did.

He’s certainly not immune from stick 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

So why not be patient with Nuttall?

Nuttall deserves more of a chance but that can only come at the sub for Graham, whereas Ben is more “wide attacking” (although today was poor!)

I genuinely feel a change of formation coming but it’s hard to see Dack dropped! 3 at the back could bring another forward in...

Just now, Biz said:

No spin. We are in transition from relegated- promoted- championship and 19 year olds are expected to come on and change games single handed.

Only when we pay double the going rate for a decent Championship striker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Around me Palmer got abuse when we gave the ball away on the opposite side of the field, moaned at when he won a free kick and every other thing he did.

He’s certainly not immune from stick 

JW upper - serious stick for Ben, average stick (bar from me) for Palmer... sat next to  @K-Hod

Just now, Biz said:

Nuttall deserves more of a chance but that can only come at the sub for Graham, whereas Ben is more “wide attacking” (although today was poor!)

I genuinely feel a change of formation coming but it’s hard to see Dack dropped! 3 at the back could bring another forward in...

Brereton would disagree I’m sure. Both he and Nuttall are vying for one spot in the team (on the bench) and Brereton is getting the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming there are no behavioural issues the difference between them is the cost and the consequence of failure. Writing off £7m or writing off some development costs. Dropping Nuttall is the easier option.

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Don't talk rubbish. No one is saying that.

He's expected to come on and show signs of ability. He didn't today and generally hasn't apart from odd flashes.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think it's more of an expectation of competence befitting a professional footballer. Brereton has so far failed in the basics but I certainly don't blame him. The fee was nothing to do with him but clearly is weighing heavily on his shoulders and he just doesn't look comfortable in his 'wide striker' role. Mowbray has to take him out of the firing line, go back to basics at Brockhall with him and give him game time in the under 23's. I see this as potentially Mowbrays biggest challenge at Ewood but certainly managing  Brereton as he has is doing the player or the club no favours.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think it's more of an expectation of competence befitting a professional footballer.

I see this as potentially Mowbrays biggest challenge at Ewood but certainly managing  Brereton as he has is doing the player or the club no favours.

We have 18 professional footballers in a squad yet Ben is his “biggest challenge”?

I could understand Rothwell being a preference today in hindsight.

9 minutes ago, Biz said:

We have 18 professional footballers in a squad yet Ben is his “biggest challenge”?

I could understand Rothwell being a preference today in hindsight.

That's exactly how I see it, a huge challenge for Mowbray. To an extent Mowbrays reputation is on the line as he has always been conservative in the fees paid for his signings and the £7m fee could be an albatross around his neck too.