BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

I accept that the lad's young and that argument would hold some sway with me if  there were some signs of promise  but that he is just a little raw. However he can't even do the basic's he looks clueless what to do with the ball when he has it because his passing isn't great and he doesn't have the pace or skill to beat a player,  he can't hold the ball up, his first touch is like a shot,  for a big lad he lacks any physicality and is out muscled too easily and most of all for someone who should be out to make an impression his work rate is very poor. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I accept that the lad's young and that argument would hold some sway with me if  there were some signs of promise  but that he just a little raw. However he can't even do the basic's he looks clueless what to do with the ball when he has it because his passing isn't great and he doesn't have the pace or skill to beat a player,  he can't hold the ball up, his first touch is like a shot,  for a big lad he is lacks any physicality and is out muscled too easily and most of all for someone who should be out to make an impression his work rate is very poor. 

Confidence is a huge part of a young players game.  He's 19 and struggling with the pressure as fans moan etc.  I've seen him do good things in this league, have a look on Google. Mowbray needs to manage him now.

Come on, nuttall is crap. If we are all hoping he's a striker to lead the line then we really are in trouble. The lads a donkey of a player, couldn't care less what he's done in the u23s the quality in that league is atrocious. Look at all the u23 teams getting hammered by league 2 clubs in the elf trophy, apart from Man City. He isn't good enough and shouldn't have been given a new deal.

Tony has brought in Samuel, nuttall, Antonson, brereton and Armstrong in the striker department  since coming in, but yet that dingles free signing Danny Graham is still his first choice.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

thus far I don't see any signs, any glimmers, any raw attributes that could develop into him 

I haven’t seen anything particularly worth talking about above standard things - however the key part is thus far.

Although I disagree with the idea the price comes with a big wage and added expectation, to me he hasn’t been used enough to really settle and we’ve not changed style to bring him in more. Not enough time. 

14 minutes ago, J*B said:

Come on now, don't be silly. Mowbray isn't the sort of man to accept that. Venkys are so secretive they only trust a few certain people. There's no way on earth players are being approved by Venkys and signed by Rovers without Mowbrays consent. Non story.

There is definitely something in this story.

I believe Mowbray was consulted but not particularly keen. The deal went through because Brereton seemed to fit the criteria currently being used for Rovers' signings.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

There is definitely something in this story.

I believe Mowbray was consulted but not particularly keen. The deal went through because Brereton seemed to fit the criteria currently being used for Rovers' signings.

In the championship you don't sign a player for £7 million when £125 million in debt. And say hes 'one for the future' - the whole thing stinks with brereton. 

28 minutes ago, J*B said:

Come on now, don't be silly. Mowbray isn't the sort of man to accept that. Venkys are so secretive they only trust a few certain people. There's no way on earth players are being approved by Venkys and signed by Rovers without Mowbrays consent. Non story.

If your observations are correct, and I don't think they are, then it would seem Mowbray has dropped one big clanger and in most businesses would be told to clear his desk.

What rational football owner would trust Mowbray with further funds after, seemingly, making a right horlicks with this one.

It may suit Mowbray for it to be known that BB was not his (£7m) man.

Otherwise it would mean that Mowbray, famed throughout the land for his integrity, is putting up with other people having final say on his signings.

Be interesting to know the truth on this one.

What we do know is that Mogga said BB would be worth a lot more in the future and that he was the best finisher in training (aren't they all?!). They aren't the words of someone who is trying to pass off the signing as someone else's. However, if BB is someone else's signing then it calls in to question Mowbray's integrity. 

Might have been just more a case of after trying other avenues this lad was presented to him and asked if he fancied him because there was an agent ready to do a deal with Forest and the owners here would sanction it so he just thought 'why not'.

There is though also the possibility he's been presented with this guy out of the blue and told to develop him to sell on, he might not have been keen but the prospect of a nice new contract looming he just got on with it. He has to show integrity has to his bosses as well.

5 hours ago, Biz said:

The irony of it all.. one lad behind me said “he looks so short of confidence”.... no fucking wonder!

Only one person to blame if that is indeed the case. The manager for agreeing to pay a huge fee for him, thereby presumably leading him to believe he would be a key player for us this year, then fteezing him out by refusing to hand him a League start, then when he does get an occssional few minutes, playing him out of position.

• Like 1

Missed most of the game.cos I overslept one thing did stand out, how poor was Ben Brereton today.  I know he was out if position but as a professional footballer he should be able to cintrol a ball coming at him, move with the ball, make a basic pass.  Brereton could do none of this today.  His confidence is shot.  Some suggest some time with the u23's.  Might nit be a bad idea till he gets some confidence back, lads gonna be ruined.  Wonder what young Rothwell is thinking.  Watching Palmer and BB and can't get a look in, must be regretting his move here.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Only one person to blame if that is indeed the case. The manager for agreeing to pay a huge fee for him, thereby presumably leading him to believe he would be a key player for us this year, then fteezing him out by refusing to hand him a League start, then when he does get an occssional few minutes, playing him out of position.

I agree, Mr Mowbary is really starting to irritate me.  Accepting mediocrity and persisting with it.  Our decent start to the campaign may be what saves us because we look to be sliding and Mogga does not seem to want to change anyrhing,  I worry abiut the transfer window now, willnhenay who he signs, will he play them in their favoured positions or just sign them to sit on the bench and watch inferior players get games ahead of them.  Irritated.

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I agree, Mr Mowbary is really starting to irritate me.  Accepting mediocrity and persisting with it.  Our decent start to the campaign may be what saves us because we look to be sliding and Mogga does not seem to want to change anyrhing,  I worry abiut the transfer window now, willnhenay who he signs, will he play them in their favoured positions or just sign them to sit on the bench and watch inferior players get games ahead of them.  Irritated.

At the moment it feels like Palmer might be sent back or recalled in January and anyone else who comes in would have to watch from the bench as the team of Raya Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Williams Reed (out of position) Smallwood Evans Bennett (or Conway) Dack and Graham plod on until the end of the season irrespective of form or results.

Thank god for the momentum created by winning promotion last season. It carried us along early on and we should have enough points in the Bank to survive. Things are starting to remind me of the relegation season though. TM came in and steadied the ship and we fleetingly got our head above water. Then we went much too negative and were trying to nick a result here and there and went on a seven game winless run when victories were required. With two games to go we had no option but to be more adventurous and won them both but by then it was too late and we went down on goal difference.

I get the impression TM would stick with his "favourites" too long as well. Luckily we should be ok this season.

6 hours ago, J*B said:

Not my story. You mean meadows (who knows a good few folk in the game from his journo days) and Crimpshrine who’s talked to people at the club are silly?

This happens constantly in the game now, even the mighty Pep admits that it isn’t him that identifies players. I don’t doubt he will have ok’d it, but it doesn’t mean he found him, pushed for him etc.

Edited by Mattyblue

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not my story. You mean meadows (who knows a good few folk in the game from his journo days) and Crimpshrine who’s talked to people at the club are silly?

This happens constantly in the game now, even the mighty Pep admits that it isn’t him that identifies players. I don’t doubt he will have ok’d it, but it doesn’t mean he found him, pushed for him etc.

It's been said several times that something about this deal just isn't right. The fee, the timing of the first bid and then the loan to buy agreement left quite a few feeling uncomfortable. In addition the story that a middle man was appointed by Forest to sell him and that Brereton didn't want to go. 

If there is some truth in Jim's information then Rovers have taken significant steps backwards in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Hmm - the last sentence changes things slightly. I can see Brereton not being identified by Mowbray, it's the not wanted bit I struggle with. 

Of course he will have ok’d it or a man of his integrity would have had to resign, no?

The story to me is more that we have seemingly moved towards a Sporitng Director/DoF set up who is identifying players that ‘fit the model’ - but who’s the Sporting Director?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course he will have ok’d it or a man of his integrity would have had to resign, no?

The story to me is more that we have seemingly moved towards a Sporitng Director model - but who’s the Sporting Director?

For me its got Pasha's grubby prints all over it.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think there is always more than one reason to explain things in football. There is always a few things impacting good or bad form.

Also, for me we should put to bed this idea that he was a “huge fee”

He wasn’t cheap, but huge fee’s in 2018 aren’t 7 figures. 

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

For me its got Pasha's grubby prints all over it.

What does that even mean? As far as I a aware - under these owners club has never put a chunk like 7m into a up and coming player? So what has this guy got previous for to warrant having “grubby prints” on it? (thought he was involved in Coyle/Senior? Not signing talented potential players to blend into the club)

If this rumour that Ben and Davenport are more of a club decision than simply Mowbray - surely that’s a good thing? It’s only a week since it was suggested the problem with Mowbray is his immediate connection and responsibility with and to the owners.

This suggests the club isn’t run like that at the moment. Is that a bad thing?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Depends on who’s making the ‘club’ decisions.

£7million is cheap for some, not so for others, all about circumstances. And yes £7 million is a lot of money for a raw teenager for a club like us.

We are in a league that the more established players in his position are on 40/50+ grand a week. 

Look at Norwich. Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall would probably all get into our first 11 - but they sit on Norwich bench for how much a season? 100k a week? 5m a season without taxes?

7m is (apology for pun) Chicken feed. I can think of a few players we’ve signed on established wages and lesser fee, who’ve ended up costing us way more than 7m

For example, Leon Best....