BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The lad needs games. 15 minutes won’t do anything for him or his confidence.

The club needs to swallow some pride and put him in the U23s (as there’s little chance of loaning him out).

Spending all of our cash on a lad who isn’t good enough for the first team is looking like a huge mistake.

Particularly when it now means pushing Nuttall out. What happens when Samuel returns? We could and should have got a better player for the money spent.

I’d be very interested to see him play for the U23s though. Trouble is we are quite a quick side and Brereton seems unable to run. His style is weird and it’s literally like he is in treacle or slow motion when he is setting off. He also looks like he is knackered after 5 minutes.

I’m honestly struggling to list his attributes since he’s been in a Rovers shirt. He didn’t even challenge for the ball against defenders when the ball was pumped up yesterday, that’s 101 stuff for someone of his height. Looking at his Forest PR-reel he seems to like to run with the ball but has to have some momentum before he shows any pace. (Slow starter).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know just what you mean, I wasn't the greatest header of the ball because I just didn't like heading.

I’m guessing but I expect you didn’t play one up-front when you were playing?

Being physical and able to compete with centre halves is a pre-requisite for the modern lone striker.

Unless you have pace... :unsure:

(At which point Mowbray would put you out wide anyway).

Edited by Stuart

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m guessing but I expect you didn’t play one up-front when you were playing?

Being physical and able to compete with centre halves is a pre-requisite for the modern lone striker.

Unless you have pace... :unsure:

(At which point Mowbray would put you out wide anyway).

Yes you're right Stuart you either need to be quick or physical.  Players who are both of those things unfortunately are out of our price range at the moment.

I didn't play  up front a lot but I was fairly quick and I could run all day.  What I did learn from my limited time as a striker was you live or die by the service you get. You can make bad passes into good passes some of the time but you can't beat being on the end of intelligent delivery of the ball from your midfield team mates.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes you're right Stuart you either need to be quick or physical.  Players who are both of those things unfortunately are out of our price range at the moment.

I didn't play  up front a lot but I was fairly quick and I could run all day.  What I did learn from my limited time as a striker was you live or die by the service you get. You can make bad passes into good passes some of the time but you can't beat being on the end of intelligent delivery of the ball from your midfield team mates.

Quick is possibly out of our price range but you could surely get a good physical striker out of £7m with change.

Right now Brereton looks to have neither.

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

After being literally knocked out from a very wet, old and heavy "casey" as a 12 year old i was never busting my ass to win headers afterwards ?

I remember playing left back on a very wet and windy day. I'd be about 15 then. The oppositions goal keeper gave the ball an almighty hoof out of his hands from the edge of the penalty area . The ball was heading right for me so I had to head it on the full. I honestly saw stars when I made contact with that wet " casey. " I never liked making that sort of header after. When we had " crossing and heading " drills I was always doing the crossing !

A very good pal of mine was a brilliant header of the ball. He could play centre half or centre forward. The sort of player that was equally good in either role. He was good enough to play pro but he hadn't got the aggression and desire to take the opportunities. I bumped into his wife the other day- he's got Parkinsons pretty bad now. I wonder if all that heading in old days has had bearing on that.

I'm afraid that due to the utter stupidity of the signing and the fee this is going to go on and on until he becomes brilliant (hopefully, lol).

Whilst watching all the lower division teams in F.A. cup action I can't help but think all of the forwards look better than Brereton and they would cost peanuts in comparison.

Even in the live game right now - where 4th division Newport are leading Premier league Fulham at half time. The guy that skinned the defender and put the brilliant cross in for the goal looks way better than our Ben...not to mention the striker that scored the header.  One thinks given the same situation our Benny boy would have just fallen over, lost the ball setting up a counter attack and ducked out of aforementioned cross.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

Quick is possibly out of our price range but you could surely get a good physical striker out of £7m with change.

Right now Brereton looks to have neither.

You can definitely get a quick striker for £7 million. We got one for £2-3 million. We just have no interest in playing him there.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You can definitely get a quick striker for £7 million. We got one for £2-3 million. We just have no interest in playing him there.

Armstrong?

I’m not convinced that he’s all that quick against Championship opposition.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Armstrong?

I’m not convinced that he’s all that quick against Championship opposition.

Are you joking? He's wick as. Absolutely toasted the WBA fullback over and over. They subbed him off in the end because he couldn't cope. Fastest player we have by a long shot, and fastest we've had for quite some time. Hell it's pretty much his only attribute. His issue is he doesn't know how to make the most of it. He's so predictable with his kick and rush dribbling approach that most defenders are ready for it, which probably makes him seem slightly slower than he is. He needs to mix it up.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

Just now, bluebruce said:

Are you joking? He's wick as. Absolutely toasted the WBA fullback over and over. They subbed him off in the end because he couldn't cope. Fastest player we have by a long shot, and fastest we've had for quite some time. Hell it's pretty much his only attribute.

Chapman was miles faster.

I’m honestly not convinced he’s that fast compared to other Championship players. Last season he was much quicker in comparison.

Just now, Stuart said:

Chapman was miles faster.

I’m honestly not convinced he’s that fast compared to other Championship players. Last season he was much quicker in comparison.

Chapman was similar, arguably slightly faster. In no way was he miles faster. Also, I edited and elaborated a bit after you quoted me.

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Are you joking? He's wick as. Absolutely toasted the WBA fullback over and over. They subbed him off in the end because he couldn't cope. Fastest player we have by a long shot, and fastest we've had for quite some time. Hell it's pretty much his only attribute. His issue is he doesn't know how to make the most of it. He's so predictable with his kick and rush dribbling approach that most defenders are ready for it, which probably makes him seem slightly slower than he is. He needs to mix it up.

His legs are faster than his brain. Runs into trouble, shoots from impossible angles and forgets it's a team game. A frustrating player but if what he tries works he looks like a top player with a deadly finish, problem being it rarely works at Championship level.

The above is re AA, with BB I am still coming to terms with his Quasimodo impressions when preparing for an aerial challenge for the ball or is it bells.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Armstrong not quick? He's rapid in full flight.

My problem with Armstrong is not with his pace which is electric but on four occasions I have seen this season his pace has taken him with ball under control into positions to go it alone for either getting a penalty or making a strike on goal.  But something goes wrong in his head and he slows down and checks back. 

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

My problem with Armstrong is not with his pace which is electric but on four occasions I have seen this season his pace has taken him with ball under control into positions to go it alone for either getting a penalty or making a strike on goal.  But something goes wrong in his head and he slows down and checks back. 

He's not that great on his left foot so he always checks back inside. It's the modern way. Inverted BS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Or get played up front where there's more space and he's in his actual position. His strengths in League One we're his movement in behind, without the ball, not with it. All his goals pretty much came from central areas, somewhere he seems to be reluctant to go anywhere near. Portsmouth x 2, 2nd vs Blackpool, both vs MK Dons, Wigan all of the top of my head we're either in behind and/or from a central area.

Edited by Guest

In the Q&As Dack said that Rothwell was the quickest at the club over 20 yards, followed by Samual/Bell over 100 yards. No mention of Armstrong.

I actually think he should use his pace more. Knock the ball forward and run past the defender after it.

6 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

In the Q&As Dack said that Rothwell was the quickest at the club over 20 yards, followed by Samual/Bell over 100 yards. No mention of Armstrong.

I actually think he should use his pace more. Knock the ball forward and run past the defender after it.

That is literally all he does. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, philipl said:

I"be noticed that several times.  Gets up against the last man through the middle but won't run past him through on goal.  Weird.

• Like 1