On 26/11/2020 at 21:01, roversfan99 said:

If his improvement is largely down to the lack of crowd, surely as soon as they return he will go back to what he was as soon as we return? That could be a worry in that case, being good in an empty stadium looking longer term is a fairly worthless trait! Its impossible to allocate how much if any of the improvement is down to that though, I look at a physical change in him looking far stronger, I consider the change in style that we have adopted and the positional change of him being left of a 3, and also much better application and desire, maybe he has realised that he needs to do more. He also changed the game in the Swansea home game just before the lockdown so maybe the lack of crowds and his upturn have minimal correlation and indeed he would have improved regardless?

I certainly think it is too soon to be saying things like we will struggle to keep him in the summer. He has that 7m price tag on him still which will probably mean that we wont consider anything under that and there is no way that anyone will bid that sort of money for him at this time or indeed unless his contribution improves further still. With Armstrong, his departure may be inevitable if we dont go up simply because of the sheer number of goals, if Brereton chips in as he has started to do, then im not sure that he will necessarily become impossible to keep.

Not necessarily, because he has had the opportunity to build his confidence up with a solid run of games in a crowd free environment. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect what’s happened here is as follows... Brereton has performed poorly, again, and been subbed off. A few people have made ironic cheers, maybe the odd couple have booed, and a few people

Exciting times  

I too would like to see them both under a different manager. Preferably at a different club.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16604958.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-new-signing-ben-brereton/

@philipl what Mowbray actually said. No mention of a 'separate pot' for young players. 

“I think it's just too good an opportunity for us to turn down. We had the money to spend and when you've got it, let's spend it"

I remember that one but it isn't the quote I had in mind.

4 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’ve literally been in away ends with people screaming how shit he is pitch side. At a 19 year old.

Of course it’s not rife, but it does happen and has happened so let’s not pretend otherwise.

Of course it does.

But you can’t judge a fanbase by the rantings of a few pissed up imbeciles at away games (many of whom never step foot in ‘shit’ Ewood). However, as a whole, the crowd has been great with him and I was proud of us for that.

Edited by Mattyblue
22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it does.

But you can’t judge a fanbase by the rantings of a few pissed up imbeciles at away games (many of whom never step foot in ‘shit’ Ewood). However, as a whole, the crowd has been great with him and I was proud of us for that.

Think that's completely fair. I think he would have struggled to avoid criticism will be online. It might well be a minority and a bit echo-chambery, but the torrent of abuse and derision underperforming footballers get online is absolutely unreal. Doesn't make Rovers fans any different to any other club of our size, but I'd be surprised if it didn't affect him at times.

Agree that on the whole, fans at Ewood have been very patient with him, and now that patience seems to be paying off. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it does.

Yeah but you don’t know how much he hears and how that affects him, so not sure we can say in-person abuse isn’t relevant.

Hopefully turned the corner psychologically now more than anything else - he’s always had the potential.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but you don’t know how much he hears and how that affects him, so not sure we can say in-person abuse isn’t relevant.

Hopefully turned the corner psychologically now more than anything else - he’s always had the potential.

Definitely a confidence player, much like Gally it seems. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

He now more resembles the guy who had a good season at Forest and that was before any experience or mon strength developed. Strange how it was totally absent for last few years but it's a welcome return. If he'd shown a bit more like this a bit more often he wouldn't have got any of this stick that's being alleged has affected him.

Its always been his basic requirement to run about a bit more and try a bit harder that isn't down to 'stick' that's down to him. Also surely his confidence is boosted more by getting regular starts in a comfortable position and getting some rythmn rather than any lack of fans.

Still doesn't really look like a 7 million baller but the signs are encouraging. 

17 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Maybe I'm harsh and I don't mean to be, but if he can't handle that then he's probably in the wrong game unfortunately.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Maybe I'm harsh and I don't mean to be, but if he can't handle that then he's probably in the wrong game unfortunately.

Unfortunately, there is an element of truth in that - but I think it says more about the nobheads giving him stick at games rather than the 19 year-old moving to a new club with the weight of expectation on him.

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it does.

Quotes I heard week after week in Jack Walker upper in his first season (not solely at away games as you imply) shouted to him; “shit”, “a waste of money”, “You’ll never make a player”, “7million you’re taking the piss” etc 

....and at that point I think he’d started 1 game.

Just check out the first few pages of this thread. The slagging off, of a 19 year old after hardly a game is prevalent, and it’s justified as opinion; so why are you so convinced none of that spilt in to the ground?

Edited by JBiz
1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Quotes I heard week after week in Jack Walker upper in his first season (not solely at away games as you imply) shouted to him; “shit”, “a waste of money”, “You’ll never make a player”, “7million you’re taking the piss” etc 

Just check out the first few pages of this thread. The slagging off, of a 19 year old after hardly a game is prevalent, and it’s justified as opinion; so why are you so convinced none of that spilt in to the ground?

IV heard it at Ewood also, on numerous occasions.

Last time I put that on here I was told I was lieing and trying to paint our fanbase in a bad light .

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Obviously you didn’t read my post, I was replying to S8 stating what he’s heard at away games, of course people come out with shit at Ewood too, I’ve been listening to it since I was about 5 years old, but on the whole, the fanbase has been behind him

To be fair I'm sure we have all heard a grumble or two about BB, as I'm sure we all have had a moan ourselves about him (although some won't admit it.)

I think this happens all over the country, with 99% of players to be honest. Yet here with Brereton some are trying to make out like the whole of Ewood is out there baying for his blood.

I still remember as clear as day in 1994 sat in the riverside as Shearer went 7 or 8 games without scoring, I would have been 12/13 at the time and I clearly remember grown men in there 40s tutting and shouting "he's lost it that lad", "f*****g s**t Shearer" etc etc.

It's one that has always stuck with me and from then on I've pretty much learned to take no notice of it as if he can get "abuse" then anyone can.

Edited by MarkBRFC
2 hours ago, islander200 said:

IV heard it at Ewood also, on numerous occasions.

Last time I put that on here I was told I was lieing and trying to paint our fanbase in a bad light .

Well I agree with you islander - the lad had pitchforks out for him day one because he cost seven or eight million.

The same rabble now attempting to justify that initial attitude towards a 19 year old player, whilst at the same time showing zero empathy for what impact that negativity may have had on the lad!

We also seem to think footballers don’t read these things, their ratings or other social media - some won’t but some will.

Personally this is why I’ve always sat on the fence when judging players until they’ve had ample chance - especially young lads.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously you didn’t read my post, I was replying to S8 stating what he’s heard at away games, of course people come out with shit at Ewood too, I’ve been listening to it since I was about 5 years old, but on the whole, the fanbase has been behind him

On the whole? This thread is exhibit A. Go 30 pages back and tell me “on the whole” BRFCS had been behind him.

4 hours ago, JBiz said:

Look, my pie was cold and my beer wasn't.  I admit I overreacted and took it out on BB. 

He got stick because he was shite and didn't  put in the required effort that sometimes will cover for lack of quality in some fans eyes. The manager got similar stick for the way he was using him clearly not helping his confidence.  The fee certainly didn't help and that was neither his fault nor the fans.

Has he got he bit between his teeth now because he's grown up a bit and settled in ? Is it because his contract is ticking down ? Or is it because he's getting regular starts in a system that suits him finally ?

Either way he still gets stick when he doesn't play well as do others so it's clearly feck all to do with that.

3 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Surely must be? It’s a community group for the club.

If it isn’t, maybe it’s time we should be? 

You know brfcs isn’t representative of the wider fanbase, you’ve banged that drum for years when you were being accused of being ‘Mr Contrarian’ on some issue or other,  but now it ‘surely must be’ as it backs up your point about the massed pitchfork-ers in that bear pit down Ewood.

Good to see you are straight back into the saddle...

Just now, tomphil said:

He got stick because he was shite and didn't  put in the required effort that sometimes will cover for lack of quality in some fans eyes. The manager got similar stick for the way he was using him clearly not helping his confidence.  The fee certainly didn't help and that was neither his fault nor the fans.

Has he got he bit between his teeth now because he's grown up a bit and settled in ? Is it because his contract is ticking down ? Or is it because he's getting regular starts in a system that suits him finally ?

Either way he still gets stick when he doesn't play well as do others so it's clearly feck all to do with that.

He was getting it online  before he even kicked a ball for us though because of his transfer fee, something he had absolutely no control over.

On 27/11/2020 at 10:03, 47er said:

'The fans have been great, driving us on from home, and we can’t wait to have them back. It was disappointing we couldn’t have them there against Preston filling out the away end'

He doesn't seem particularly offended by Rovers fans.