1 minute ago, islander200 said:

He was getting it online  before he even kicked a ball for us though because of his transfer fee, something he had absolutely no control over.

Such is life, he was still getting it before this season started and beyond so his form clearly isn't connected to it otherwise why has he suddenly come good ? 

It's been a fair turnaround it's not as if he was progressing slowly then it suddenly clicked.  For me it's just down to being played in his correct position, getting some starts and having the manager put some faith in him. A few good performances and his confidence has returned it's probably more relief to him than anything.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect what’s happened here is as follows... Brereton has performed poorly, again, and been subbed off. A few people have made ironic cheers, maybe the odd couple have booed, and a few people

Exciting times  

I too would like to see them both under a different manager. Preferably at a different club.

Posted Images

One thing that I will say as well is that whether its positive or negative, praise or criticism, once we get to the point where especially on a messageboard but even down the pub or even in the ground with our friends/family we cant give our opinions without sanitising them first (no negative opinions allowed) then surely we give up with the game as a whole? If a Rovers player plays well, we get excited, if a Rovers player doesnt play well, we get frustrated. Natural.

No one is condoning a minority of dickheads that you will get everywhere shouting abuse but I can honestly say that I have never at numerous away games and every home game heard anything of this nature, clearly I am not the only one, not saying it doesnt happen but it cant be that widespread.

This thread is full of criticism is because, both as a purchase financially and also moreso as an individual player, for 2 years his performances were terrible, not expecting the end product is one thing but there was barely a glimmer of optimism and indeed even his application was questionable at times. This became a place to moan and groan and vent, and a much more constructive one. Now his performances have massively improved, this is a place full of praise and full of optimism. 

Criticising a player on a messageboard is NOT abuse.

Just now, tomphil said:

Such is life, he was still getting it before this season started and beyond so his form clearly isn't connected to it otherwise why has he suddenly come good ? 

It's been a fair turnaround it's not as if he was progressing slowly then it suddenly clicked.  For me it's just down to being played in his correct position, getting some starts and having the manager put some faith in him. A few good performances and his confidence has returned it's probably more relief to him than anything.

I'm not saying abuse by some fans was the reason for his poor form prior to this season but I'm sensible enough to realise you don't make 56 appearances by the age of 19 in the championship or be valued at 7 million by the selling club if you are "useless", "conference player" "will never make it at this level" etc etc.We can rewrite history all we want but as JBiz said plenty of criticism of him on this thread before he had even kicked a ball for the club and when just played a couple of matches.

Brereton is highly rated within the game and although I can totally agree his fee could have been spent improving the first team immediately it's obvious he was bought for his potential and now we are seeing it so statements like I mentioned above are ridiculous

This agenda of indoctrination towards finding offence in literally everything that is sweeping across wider social media and out into the real world needs to be stamped out, quickly. Its tentacles are everywhere now and some seem to revel in it instead of just accepting it's the way the world works, rightly and wrongly.

Outright vocal abuse in the ground is wrong but its never happened towards him other than the usual football ground moans and groans. Message boards are the fans voice where they should be able to freely express their opinions on whoever and however as long as it's in the rules. 

Just now, islander200 said:

I'm not saying abuse by some fans was the reason for his poor form prior to this season but I'm sensible enough to realise you don't make 56 appearances by the age of 19 in the championship or be valued at 7 million by the selling club if you are "useless", "conference player" "will never make it at this level" etc etc.We can rewrite history all we want but as JBiz said plenty of criticism of him on this thread before he had even kicked a ball for the club and when just played a couple of matches.

Brereton is highly rated within the game and although I can totally agree his fee could have been spent improving the first team immediately it's obvious he was bought for his potential and now we are seeing it so statements like I mentioned above are ridiculous

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it wouldn't be the first time this club or others have been severely burnt by spending big fees on so called good players. 

What is equally ridiculous as some of the comments is the point scoring now over things said 2 years ago. I think it's fair to say by this point not many actually expected much from BB so its a welcome surprise.  Lets hope he truly has found his level again and it isn't just a flash in the pan, otherwise the bad comments will return and those giving it the 'i told you so' will be looking a bit daft.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it wouldn't be the first time this club or others have been severely burnt by spending big fees on so called good players. 

What is equally ridiculous as some of the comments is the point scoring now over things said 2 years ago. I think it's fair to say by this point not many actually expected much from BB so its a welcome surprise.  Lets hope he truly has found his level again and it isn't just a flash in the pan, otherwise the bad comments will return and those giving it the 'i told you so' will be looking a bit daft.

I'm not point scoring at all.Amd as for 2 years ago?It's happened on here this season.

Brereton had a poor game and id a poster quote one of my posts which was about Bradley Johnson, celebrating  that Brereton had had a poor game, more happy to be proven correct than Brereton coming good.

And it's been point scoring for 2 years from posters who never rated Brereton, anyone who gave a positive post about Brereton on here since he joined was rounded on and made out to be ridiculous and stupid for suggesting they could see potential in Brereton.

And as for you last sentence, I will say again people within the game rate Brereton and you don't make 50 odd appearances by the age of 19 with nothing about you.An awful lot of people were criticizing him when he signed before he had even kicked a ball for us!

Edited by islander200
Just now, islander200 said:

I'm not point scoring at all.Amd as for 2 years ago?It's happened on here this season.

Brereton had a poor game and id a poster quote one of my posts which was about Bradley Johnson, celebrating  that Brereton had had a poor game, more happy to be proven correct than Brereton coming good.

And it's been point scoring for 2 years from posters who never rated Brereton, anyone who gave a positive post about Brereton on here since he joined was rounded on and made out to be ridiculous and stupid for suggesting they could see potential in Brereton.

Not singling you out and iv'e already agreed its happened this season which is why i said the online critic can't have been anything to do with his previously poor efforts.

Anyway we are going in circles a bit here but my point is fans can call it as they want and the main reason he's coped it is because he's been poor. 

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You know brfcs isn’t representative of the wider fanbase, you’ve banged that drum for years when you were being accused of being ‘Mr Contrarian’ on some issue or other,  but now it ‘surely must be’ as it backs up your point about the massed pitchfork-ers in that bear pit down Ewood.

Good to see you are straight back into the saddle...

Ah come on, I’ve barely looked at this place for 12 months.

If it’s such a contentious idea to you, that the wider fanbase IS represented by this site, I’ll gladly concede.

Still, doesn’t change my view on earlier comments in this thread.

5 hours ago, JBiz said:

Just check out the first few pages of this thread. The slagging off, ....

I did as you asked. Not the result I was expecting from your statement. ??

On 28/08/2018 at 20:42, neophox said:

Fantastic signing!! Exciting Times!

On 28/08/2018 at 20:57, Tom said:

An exciting signing for sure and a proper statement of intent.

On 28/08/2018 at 21:05, watford-rover said:

Still I’ve got my positive trousers on, great signing, 

On 28/08/2018 at 23:18, roversfan99 said:

One thing Id definitely say is that I am excited to see how he gets on, and it feels like a statement of intent.

On 28/08/2018 at 23:23, bluebruce said:

Good luck Ben! If you deliver like we hope, you'll be a terrific signing.

On 29/08/2018 at 00:16, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely vital signing.....

Good luck Ben.

On 29/08/2018 at 00:40, chaddyrovers said:

Excellent signing. 

Very pleased

That's the first 2 pages. I think by page 3 a few posters are questioning the fee and whether it could be spent better on the defence.

But that's not a reflection on BB himself,  can't see any personal derogatory comments towards him, just budgetary queries. 

I think you're maybe getting confused with the comments made about BB after he had severely underperformed in a Rovers shirt for over 18 months. But I'm guessing he would be big enough to admit that period simply wasn't good enough himself.

Let's not rewrite history and pretend he was never welcomed to the club. 

A lot of people, including me, came to the conclusion there wasn't a player in there and he'd never come good. He's proved us very wrong the last 6 months, which is great news.

Subsequently a lot of people, including me, have held our hands up and admitted we got it wrong. 

So not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Isn't that what you wanted? The masses to see the light? (Or more like Ben to shine the light).

It's happened, you've got your wish. You should be happy no? 

Unless, of course,  it's just "I told you so!" points you're after. ?

In which case, just let me know how many, and I'll bag em up and send your direction asap. 

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Most predictable defence for anyone vociferous in past about level of the lads ability,

predicting a 19 year old WOULD get better has nothing to do with “Hindsight”

Just now, Silas said:

I did as you asked. Not the result I was expecting from your statement. ??

That's the first 2 pages. I think by page 3 a few posters are questioning the fee and whether it could be spent better on the defence.

But that's not a reflection on BB himself,  can't see any personal derogatory comments towards him, just budgetary queries. 

I think you're maybe getting confused with the comments made about BB after he had severely underperformed in a Rovers shirt for over 18 months. But I'm guessing he would be big enough to admit that period simply wasn't good enough himself.

Let's not rewrite history and pretend he was never welcomed to the club. 

A lot of people, including me, came to the conclusion there wasn't a player in there and he'd never come good. He's proved us very wrong the last 6 months, which is great news.

Subsequently a lot of people, including me, have held our hands up and admitted we got it wrong. 

So not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Isn't that what you wanted? The masses to see the light? (Or more like Ben to shine the light).

It's happened, you've got your wish. You should be happy no? 

Unless, of course,  it's just "I told you so!" points you're after. ?

In which case, just let me know how many, and I'll bag em up and send your direction asap. 

Do you really want me to repost some of the comments before he even started a game? Is it necessary?

8 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Most predictable defence for anyone vociferous in past about level of the lads ability,

predicting a 19 year old WOULD get better has nothing to do with “Hindsight”

That is so wide of the mark but predictable it would get thrown in.

Bens problem was would he get 7 million better the fee was always going to put him in the spotlight more than most young players at this level.

If every 19 year old that was going to get better actually did the conveyor belt of young talent in this country WOULD be tremendous.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That is so wide of the mark but predictable it would get thrown in.

Bens problem was would he get 7 million better the fee was always going to put him in the spotlight more than most young players at this level.

If every 19 year old that was going to get better actually did the conveyor belt of young talent in this country WOULD be tremendous.

Precisely why sitting on the fence is good with any young lad - not judging fleeting performances etc. It’s just one way to look at it 

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

He was getting it online  before he even kicked a ball for us though because of his transfer fee, something he had absolutely no control over.

I don't think anyone blames him so much as whoever signed him. He seems very appreciative of the fans from comments he has made.

In any case he's playing well now, something I never expected. 

Better late than never!

3 hours ago, Silas said:

I came to that conclusion at the time, it really was not inappropriate.

He's been very good this season BUT I still don't believe this means we got a great deal or that we couldn't have spent that money so much better.

If that money was never available for someone else as some claim, then I blame the owners.

If it was TM's choice, then I blame him. 

Still looking but my recollection of Mowbray's explanation of how the Ben signing came about is this.

Mowbray had agreed his transfer budget for that summer in Pune then pointed out we couldn't rely on DG keeping going for ever.

The Academy was yielding defenders and midfielders but there was a hole up front before some promising very young kids might make it.

The extra pot was made available to address that issue with a triple caveat

- must be young with profitable resale potential

- preferably English

- wages had to be within the club structure

This made finding a player who matched the requirement pretty difficult and hence Mowbray's comment at the time that summer about having had money burning a hole in his pocket before he signed Ben.

I am pretty certain this has been posted within the 180 pages on this thread but itis not in the first ten pages after which I gave up looking. I don't think my source for this is only a private conversation.

I also now recall Mowbray disclosed this as part of a wider interview so hence it is hard to find.

But I think Mowbray has explained this more than once.

As with Harvey Elliott now, we are finding Mowbray can be very persuasive.

The transfer fee is now consistently reported as £6m. Perhaps Ben didn't trigger a clause to make it £7m?

Edited by philipl
11 hours ago, JBiz said:

Precisely why sitting on the fence is good with any young lad - not judging fleeting performances etc. It’s just one way to look at it 

"fleeting"----2 years!!!!!

Welcome back Biz by the way!

Why would I be arsey? I don’t care what the rationale was as long as he does the business.

So anyway, this rationale wasn’t from the Mowbray quotes you thought you’d read, but your line into the regime? You’d think you would have mentioned your inside track to start with...

The initial theory was that Brereton wasnt a Mowbray signing if I recall. But even if on "inside direct lines" we take on board the theory that Mowbray had a seperate kitty for a young English striker with value, Brereton even within that remit demonstrated no hope for 2 years that he was even a successful signing amidst those restrictions. Even now, making a profit on 7m would require a lot more from him, but for those years those theoretical requirements still didnt justify why Brereton had been chosen.

Its a messageboard to give opinions and it was very fair to question the money spent prior without feeling the need to refrain in case he turns it all around, otherwise this thread may aswell have ceased to exist. Not sure there is scope for any "I told you so" either. People judged on what they saw, individually there wasnt really any flickers never mind signs that he could come good, and the defence was leaking goals when people felt that we could have spent the money or at least some of the money there instead. If the above theory is accurate for which there is no proof, then that would be a poor reflection of the owners and the way the club rather than the manager.

I dont think anything in his first 2 seasons suggested even getting to performances anything like of which we have seen this season, whereby his improvement has been an unexpected positive hence why this thread has recently been littered with us all praising him and rightly so. Lets hope he continues to improve and people can focus on the player rather than looking back and picking out critics throughout the last 2 years.