BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

11 minutes ago, USABlue said:

When is he supposed to be back? (proof read and corrected lol)

Dack & Travis among Rovers quartet set for New Year returns | Lancashire Telegraph

“We have a few who are not far away and we’re hoping in the next couple of weeks we’ll have Dack, Brereton and Travis back training with the group on a full-time basis. Then hopefully into the New Year they’ll all be available again" - Mogga

• 3 months later...

Brereton has nothing other than head-down dribbling sideways. No footballing intelligence or vision. Lacks pace and confidence. Needs to be either sold this summer (if anyone is stupid enough to take him) or let go at the end of his contract next summer. He's had more than enough chances here. 

5 minutes ago, alcd said:

Brereton has nothing other than head-down dribbling sideways. No footballing intelligence or vision. Lacks pace and confidence. Needs to be either sold this summer (if anyone is stupid enough to take him) or let go at the end of his contract next summer. He's had more than enough chances here. 

I would like to give him two month with a new manager. If any new manager cannot see anything worthwhile in two months. Play him in the U23s, looking to get rid.

• Like 2

It's simple really if the owners/investors want to see any return on or for their whopping investments in him and Gallagher they need to invest further in a new manager.

That's the only chance whatsoever they have of resurrecting anything out of those two. Because this manager is only taking them one way. He's not known what to do with either of them since they set foot in the place.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

It feels like we are stuck between a rock and a hard place, the natural course would be to allow his contract to expire at the end of the season presuming that no one wants to buy him in the summer and he carries on stinking the place out, although I fear that a face saving contract extension will be on its way. His shooting is an absolute embarrassment. 

• Like 1

Not a good player, let's be honest. Major ball dropped on this signing. Couldn't see another manager starting him 

Could you imagine McCarthy or Warnock paying him? I certainly can't. 

We all cling to anything half decent he does, but he will never score 15 a season at this level, 10 even. His pea shooting is a disgrace. He strikes me as being very mentally weak as well. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

He is simply not good enough. Forget about scoring goals, he can't even strike a ball cleanly. It's ridiculous the amount of shots that he has scuffed, pea rolled and failed to get any power behind. There are strikers all over the country, League 2, Conference, Sunday League, you name it, who can hit a ball better than he does.

What I want to know is, who the heck recommended him as a signing? For me, there is no chance that Balaji knew of him beforehand. Somebody recommended him. Who and why?

I seem to remember there being a desperate panic to get our transfer budget spent at that time. There was mention of late bids going in for Luke Freeman and Celina which were turned down. Then we go all in for Brereton with the Forest fans left stunned that we were paying £7m for him.

It has to go down as the worst piece of transfer business in our history, imo, especially as it was at a time when £7m could have really gone far in strengthening a few areas of our squad.

• Like 2

If he could be taught to reliably strike a ball with his in-step, I think he could be a useful centre forward.

Absent that, he would make a useful winger, left or right. 

However, just like Harvey Elliot, I think he has no idea as to what he's doing as an inside forward and I'm not sure Mowbray and his team do.

Brereton's confidence has gone. Today he was snatching at shots, mistiming runs, holding the ball when he should pass, laying it off when he should keep it and miscontrolling the ball all the time. It's a shame because earlier in the season he was playing well and finally looking like a good player in the making. I think there's a good player in there somewhere but at the moment he's a liability

5 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

He is simply not good enough. Forget about scoring goals, he can't even strike a ball cleanly. It's ridiculous the amount of shots that he has scuffed, pea rolled and failed to get any power behind. There are strikers all over the country, League 2, Conference, Sunday League, you name it, who can hit a ball better than he does.

What I want to know is, who the heck recommended him as a signing? For me, there is no chance that Balaji knew of him beforehand. Somebody recommended him. Who and why?

I seem to remember there being a desperate panic to get our transfer budget spent at that time. There was mention of late bids going in for Luke Freeman and Celina which were turned down. Then we go all in for Brereton with the Forest fans left stunned that we were paying £7m for him.

It has to go down as the worst piece of transfer business in our history, imo, especially as it was at a time when £7m could have really gone far in strengthening a few areas of our squad.

I can still at 68.

My youngest son can, he's 15.

Brereton is useless and any he scores by a good looking shot will be down to luck and law of averages.

Rarely have I seen someone like Brereton who just does not look like a pro footballer on any way.

Forest wanted rid. We had unspent funds and I have previously read suggestions of agent connections. Result , we overpaid for a sack of spuds.

BB - 7 million quid

Puki - free

Started the season decently (but they all did as flat track bullies) but has regressed to previous and barely looks a footballer again. This signing is where it all started to go wrong for TM. He then compounded it with another one. Its one thing to neglect a defense while spending 12 million on forward players but its another when you sign two duds for money that SHOULD buy you two top 6 quality players.  

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

Brereton has never been good enough and I don't think he ever will improve but he has some sympathy from me. It wasn't him who decided he was worth £7m and put massive expectations on him through that. It was Mowbray who decided to pay hugely over the odds on the strength of a dead rubber match at Trent Bridge if the stories are to be believed. It's just another awful Mowbray decision and now it's almost like he is trying to prove himself right by playing him when he is clearly out of his depth. In just over a years time Brereton is out of contract giving somebody a big decision to make.

• Like 3

Brereton probably had a 6 months purple patch this time last year where he looked a genuinely decent championship player. But even in his prime months he was still a non goal scoring striker. Either side of that purple patch to the present day he looks like someone who’s never seen a football before.

I’m sure someone other than Mowbray could get a tune out of him more regularly but under this regime he has no chance. 

I think he was also marking the goal scorer when you slow the images down. He just let him breeze past him for a free header. Of course, no one pointed a finger at him because they are a good set of lads and don't want to upset any of their pals. Benno no doubt gave him a big hug back in the dressing room after the game and told him not to worry about it.

54 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

I think he was also marking the goal scorer when you slow the images down. He just let him breeze past him for a free header. Of course, no one pointed a finger at him because they are a good set of lads and don't want to upset any of their pals. Benno no doubt gave him a big hug back in the dressing room after the game and told him not to worry about it.

When the corner is delivered the scorer runs off Brereton. When he heads it Lenihan is the closest to him. It appears that Mowbray uses zonal marking in the six yard box and goes man to man outside of it. Another example of over complicating something that is relatively simple.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Brereton has never been good enough and I don't think he ever will improve but he has some sympathy from me. It wasn't him who decided he was worth £7m and put massive expectations on him through that. It was Mowbray who decided to pay hugely over the odds on the strength of a dead rubber match at Trent Bridge if the stories are to be believed. It's just another awful Mowbray decision and now it's almost like he is trying to prove himself right by playing him when he is clearly out of his depth. In just over a years time Brereton is out of contract giving somebody a big decision to make.

Nobody in their right mind signs a player going off one performance. Especially if it’s a big money signing. I used to knock about with a guy who was a City scout. He’d watch a player 4 or 5 time and it would always be at an away match. He reckon that was more of a true test of a good player.

We’ve all played amateur football and had the odd game were we looked like world beaters.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2