BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Starting Eleven 2018/19 Season

It seems all of our business is done for the window. That being the case what do people see as our best starting eleven?

My suggestion:

Raya

Nyambe  Mulgrew   Lenihan  Bell

Evans  Bennett

Palmer     Dack   Armstrong

Brereton

Bench: Canadian, Rodwell, Reed, Rothwell, Graham, Davenport, Williams

Very tough to leave out Rothwell after his start but that front 4 is very very solid. I also think Rodwell will force his way into the side as the season goes on.

Raya

Nyambe          Lenihan             Mulgrew       Bell

Evans                Bennett

Armstrong                      Dack                    Palmer

Graham

Subs:Leutwiler, Rodwell, Williams, Reed, Smallwood Rothwell, Brereton

Tough but I’d go...

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Dack Rothwell

Armstrong Palmer Brereton

Graham

LETS GO ALL OUT WIN THE LEAGUE 5-4 EVERY GAME!

Seriously, we’re getting an embarrassment of riches up top and it’s tough to decide. Some quality options.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

Tough one to call.

The back four seems settled until Williams and Rodwell get up to speed.

Reed is vying with Smallwood and Evans for the 2 defensive midfield roles with the possibility of Rodwell and Rothwell playing there too.

We now have a multitude of options for the '3' in behind the lone striker. It's worth repeating that Mogga sees Bennett as one of those '3' and Dack will be another so it's one from Rothwell, Brereton, AA & Palmer (& Conway & Samuel).

Up front it's one from Graham, Brereton & Armstrong (& Samuel & Nuttall).

A pretty remarkable turnaround in playing staff from where the club was at the beginning of last summer. Mowbray has done an incredible  job really. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Tough but I’d go...

Raya

Dack Rothwell

Armstrong Palmer Brereton

Graham

LETS GO ALL OUT WIN THE LEAGUE 5-4 EVERY GAME!

Seriously, we’re getting an embarrassment of riches up top and it’s tough to decide. Some quality options.

You were doing really well until you posted that team. You could always play Bennett in goal, we'd be more attacking still then. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Like my old mate used to say - " A team of Bobby Charlton's would never win anything because they'd never have the ball ".

On a more serious note Mowbray has created a few headaches for himself. We really have proper competition for places.

At the moment id say:

Raya

Evans Reed/Bennett

Armstrong Dack Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Bennett/Reed, Williams, Downing, Rothwell, Smallwood, Brereton

Nothing suggests that currently, Brereton would be able to replicate the sort of performances, goal contributions and link up with Dack that Graham offers at the monent, based more so on Grahams high standards. Obviously long term he can become that man and hes an exciting option.

Bennett was obviously an interesting one. I dont feel that he offers the attacking output to justify a place in the front 4 over any of the other 3 mentioned, aside from in difficult away games. His place would for me most likely lie in central midfield, a place where Evans, Reed and Bennett are for me our best 3 options.

That said, I hope that contrary to the opening post, theres still a pacy winger and a centre back to come.

• Backroom

Raya

Bennett  Evans

Palmer  Dack  Arma

Graham

Bench:

Leutwiler (GK), Williams (LB, CB), Rodwell (CB, CDM), Reed (CDM, RB), Rothwell (anywhere in midfield), Conway (either wing), Brereton (striker).

Wish I could use Chapman ahead of Conway for the sub winger, as a game changer.

Talented team! That's also with Wharton, Grayson, Travis, Smallwood, Samuel, Nuttall to consider.

Personally think Hart, Whitt, Gladwin are bit players who can leave. May as well fill those spaces with u23s imo.

• Like 1

Really difficult and TM will have plenty of headaches but we know that the Championship is a tough old grind with 2 games a week in some cases. I think there will be rotation when needed and no doubt injuries will play a part.

Notice many putting Bennett in CM and while I agree he has been fantastic when put in there, TM sees him more as a defensive winger in the three behind. He offers that balance and puts the kind of shift in that you wont see from a Palmer.  Maybe better for him to have that position when playing away but then have someone more attack-minded and creative there when playing at home. I have a feeling Reed will be earmarked for the Smallwood spot next to Evans alot of the time.

Anyhow, we have some serious options now but if we were being picky, a Cb and a Winger would do nicely.

At the moment its probably -

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Dack, Palmer, Graham.

Bench of - Canadian, Williams, Rodwell, Reed, Rothwell, Armstrong, Brereton

I imagine in time Reed & Brereton will replace Smallwood and Graham

It's great that we have options now, after Hull last weekend i was terrified at the thought of a few games without Dack, but now think we could cope without him for a few weeks if needed. 

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

At the moment its probably -

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett, Dack, Palmer, Graham.

Bench of - Canadian, Williams, Rodwell, Reed, Rothwell, Armstrong, Graham

I imagine in time Reed & Brereton will replace Smallwood and Graham

It's great that we have options now, after Hull last weekend i was terrified at the thought of a few games without Dack, but now think we could cope without him for a few weeks if needed. 

You've got Graham sitting on the bench and playing simultaneously.

I had never heard of Ben Brereton until a month ago and I have never seen him play. Given hes not played this season I dont think he will be straight into the starting 11. Rothwells performances this season have given us a nice dilemma. I only expected him to be a squad player. I also think Nyambe is developing into a top quality full back. I wonder if Bell will keep his place when Williams is back.

As others have said out of no where we have suddenly got a very competetive squad. 

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Bennett

Armstrong Dack Palmer

Graham

Edit: Just noticed ive only selected 1 change from the team that played last year! Quality to call on the bench though. 

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've got Graham sitting on the bench and playing simultaneously.

Yes i do.

Meant for Brereton on the bench, to start with anyway.

I also cant ever see Mowbray starting a game with Armstrong, Dack, Palmer & Graham/Brereton in the same side unless injuries etc dictate..

I think Bennett will always play as one if the three in behind when fit, maybe moving deeper if the we're chasing the game.

Good points, however Mowbury has always made a point of having Artists and soldiers in the squad, therefore they will always be a balance in the league games no matter who we are playing. Think the team will be like this if everyone is fit

Raya

Reed    Evans

Armstrong Dack  Bennett

Brereton 

Subs

Canada, Rodwell (cb cover), Williams, Smallwood, Palmer, Graham, Rothwell 

Can see Chapman definitely coming through the door as long as Boro get the guy from Millwall  

Think it will be interesting to see how Armstrong and Palmer compete for the attaching wide player role and we’ll see how Brereton and Graham rotate for the striker position. Also it remains to see if Rodwell gets back to some form of his previous self. 

Edited by CraigF

• Backroom

Suddenly it’s not easy for the right reasons is it?

Amazing that Bennett who is becoming Mr Blackburn Rovers when on the pitch may struggle to get a place and Smallwood who was a favourite last season should by right now struggle to even get on the bench.

For now Graham has to be the man up front to ease the pressure while Brereton settles in.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tom said:

Suddenly it’s not easy for the right reasons is it?

Amazing that Bennett who is becoming Mr Blackburn Rovers when on the pitch may struggle to get a place and Smallwood who was a favourite last season should by right now struggle to even get on the bench.

For now Graham has to be the man up front to ease the pressure while Brereton settles in.

I can't see him being dropped and rightly so. The energy he brings is infectious 

You've got to give massive credit to Mowbray for the transformation of the squad over the last 15 months. Suddenly we have got competition for places.

It's a very 'British' looking squad as well - with a massive number of British born players. I remember Garry Flitcroft suggesting the best team spirit he ever played in was when we got promoted - and the squad were predominantly British and all got on well. While this squad might not have the quality of the 2000/01 promotion squad - it certainly seems to have the spirit.

You look at the number of youngsters with potential to develop further/be sold for more money in the squad - and that's far more promising than 15 months ago.

Raya 22, Bell 24, Lenihan 24, Nyambe 20, Dack 24, Davenport 19, Travis 20, Armstrong 21, Brereton 19.

OK, a number of those were here 15 months ago, but I bet they've all improved under Mowbray.

Really impressed with how the squad is taking shape - and I'd struggle to pick a first eleven at the moment - which is a good thing.

• Like 1