BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City vs Blackburn Rovers, Sunday 1st September, 1.30pm KO

Punished for not taking our chances in the first half. Can't understand why he took off Palmer, to me he looks a class above on the ball. Rothwell has done enough to be starting for us now, felt sorry for him being on the bench after proving himself more than capable. I can see why people were miffed with Bell but before we conceded the 3rd i though he was having an ok game, understandably people are calling for Williams back but It I'm not convinced that he's any better tbh. We can analyse this many ways but we in my view we lost because we didn't take our chances, pure and simple.

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

All I can think is that Mowbray sees Rovers as a long term ‘project’ and has got the buy in of the owners. A manager looking at short term solutions and £7 million to spend wouldn’t be splurging the lot on a teenager from the Championship.

I imagine these owners like the model proposed - i.e  the re-sale potential of young English players and wouldn’t have given the green light to £9 million in a window on older players.

Seems eminently sensible in this crackers era we are operating in, but we are still at the whim of a very unpredictable family.

I wouldn't mind if we had a stronger squad but that money should really have been spent on better defenders, at least then we may stop conceding silly goals to the likes of Ipswich and Reading whilst getting embarrassed by teams like Bristol City. To spend £7m on potential when there are still glaring weaknesses in our first team squad is madness to me. All I can say is that Mowbray must be very confident that we'll stay up without too much to worry about. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DE. said:

I wouldn't mind if we had a stronger squad but that money should really have been spent on better defenders, at least then we may stop conceding silly goals to the likes of Ipswich and Reading whilst getting embarrassed by teams like Bristol City. To spend £7m on potential when there are still glaring weaknesses in our first team squad is madness to me. All I can say is that Mowbray must be very confident that we'll stay up without too much to worry about. 

For the umpteenth time i'll say again we need a good centre defensive lump putting genuine pressure on Lenihen and Mulgrew and have done for ages. Downing is just back up and they know he'll only come in if one of them is out then be swapped back first chance.

That's not how you build a better team spending huge money on potential but ignoring other areas in favour of cheap back up squad men. Yes he's playing the long game and fair enough but we'll only ever likely tread water in the meantime and gradually lose the better players again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

Punished for not taking our chances in the first half. Can't understand why he took off Palmer, to me he looks a class above on the ball. Rothwell has done enough to be starting for us now, felt sorry for him being on the bench after proving himself more than capable. I can see why people were miffed with Bell but before we conceded the 3rd i though he was having an ok game, understandably people are calling for Williams back but It I'm not convinced that he's any better tbh. We can analyse this many ways but we in my view we lost because we didn't take our chances, pure and simple.

Palmer may be good on the ball, but he has missed two huge chances to win games for us now. Today and against Ipswich. He can do all the pricking and flicking he likes, but he needs to take easy chances when offered. 

Kasey Palmer has liked a couple of tweets criticising him. Not sure thats necessarily a good trait, saw Chapman like someone make a light hearted comment about him picking up an injury as well the other day. Doesnt bother me but potentially shows a bit of immaturity, suppose they are young lads but still.

@Bigdoggsteel he has but hes also already scored 3 goals for us to be fair to him. And hes not playing in his natural position. Feel like he has got the raw deal slightly from a generally inept performance today.

Alright r*vers fans?

I'm most certainly not gonna gloat but had a couple of comments if you don't mind.

Firstly, fair shout for bringing over 1,000 away fans all that way on a Sunday, cracking effort.

Secondly, I thought we were a tad fortunate to go in level at half time as you looked a good side and we both missed chances in the first 45. In some ways, you reminded me of us last year with the pressing game but I reckon you need to choose when to do it at this level as doing it all the time just knackers your forwards. Lee J has drummed 'triggers' into our forwards so they press as a unit, when those triggers occur. What they are I have no idea but we don't have a constant press.

I must commend you for having a go in the second half but that was probably your undoing. We're blessed with a few rapid players and you did look a tad fatigued in the second 45 when I thought we were excellent. We will play better and lose and, I'm sure you'll play worse and win.

The poster who said it was a bit 'naive' probably had it right as you (like us a few years ago) probably steam rollered teams in L1 whereas you just cannot do that in the Championship.

I think you most certainly won't be in any trouble this season but, like us, probably won't be scaring the top boys too often. 

Until the next time, take care all.

UP THE CITY \0/

Edited by Way down West
  • Like 9

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

For the umpteenth time i'll say again we need a good centre defensive lump putting genuine pressure on Lenihen and Mulgrew and have done for ages. Downing is just back up and they know he'll only come in if one of them is out then be swapped back first chance.

That's not how you build a better team spending huge money on potential but ignoring other areas in favour of cheap back up squad men. Yes he's playing the long game and fair enough but we'll only ever likely tread water in the meantime and gradually lose the better players again.

Couldn't agree more. Lack of competition for places across the majority of our backline is a horrible recipe for complacency. Raya, Nyambe, Mulgrew and Lenihan know they're only off the team sheet if they're injured. Bell at the very least has Williams to push him for a place. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kasey Palmer has liked a couple of tweets criticising him. Not sure thats necessarily a good trait, saw Chapman like someone make a light hearted comment about him picking up an injury as well the other day. Doesnt bother me but potentially shows a bit of immaturity, suppose they are young lads but still.

@Bigdoggsteel he has but hes also already scored 3 goals for us to be fair to him. And hes not playing in his natural position. Feel like he has got the raw deal slightly from a generally inept performance today.

I wouldn't criticise players for one off poor performances, I know our team try their best. I just think no matter what position he is playing, he really needs to take those chances. Fair play for being in the right place, but they were handy enough chances. 

On related note. Did anyone see much of Bell before we signed him? He doesn't look like the best left back in league 1 to me. Is he playing within himself? Have we seen the best of him? I was expecting him to be much quicker for a start 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't criticise players for one off poor performances, I know our team try their best. I just think no matter what position he is playing, he really needs to take those chances. Fair play for being in the right place, but they were handy enough chances. 

On related note. Did anyone see much of Bell before we signed him? He doesn't look like the best left back in league 1 to me. Is he playing within himself? Have we seen the best of him? I was expecting him to be much quicker for a start 

Apologies, I didnt mean to sound as if I was complaining that you was criticising his performance. I believe that people should in general be able to criticise todays performance, individuals and collectively, just as everyone was in universal agreement that last week we were as good as we were bad today.

I just wanted to point out that he has already scored 3 goals so there is definitely some end product. I did think he was poor today but I feel like basically everyone in the team was. His miss was very poor just as it was at Ipswich, no denying that. Its important to remember that he is a number 10 and I feel like Mowbray carries some of the brunt today for his and Armstrongs performances for the roles he gave them both. For me, in Dacks absence, Palmer should be played centrally.

Can't comment on Bells performances for Fleetwood but in his first couple of games here he was refreshingly attacking and he does seem to have reigned that side of his game in since. Nyambe isnt very attacking in general and his crossing is far worse than Bell's, I do wonder if Mowbray specifically instructs them to sit further back.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Way down West said:

Alright r*vers fans?

I'm most certainly not gonna gloat but had a couple of comments if you don't mind.

Firstly, fair shout for bringing over 1,000 away fans all that way on a Sunday, cracking effort.

Secondly, I thought we were a tad fortunate to go in level at half time as you looked a good side and we both missed chances in the first 45. In some ways, you reminded me of us last year with the pressing game but I reckon you need to choose when to do it at this level as doing it all the time just knackers your forwards. Lee J has drummed 'triggers' into our forwards so they press as a unit, when those triggers occur. What they are I have no idea but we don't have a constant press.

I must commend you for having a go in the second half but that was probably your undoing. We're blessed with a few rapid players and you did look a tad fatigued in the second 45 when I thought we were excellent. We will play better and lose and, I'm sure you'll play worse and win.

The poster who said it was a bit 'naive' probably had it right as you (like us a few years ago) probably steam rollered teams in L1 whereas you just cannot do that in the Championship.

I think you most certainly won't be in any trouble this season but, like us, probably won't be scaring the top boys too often. 

Until the next time, take care all.

UP THE CITY \0/

Good post, thanks for your comments, nailed on.

You were right about your young left back, he played well. Eliasson the winger looked sharp too I thought, you have some good players and I’d imagine you will be top half this season.

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Granted it was up the opposite end but that didn't look an easy chance today it was on the half volley, on his weaker foot and he had to take it first time. Armstrong's chance shortly after they equalised was a simpler chance, as was when Armstrong broke and greedily shot instead of playing an unmarked Graham in. I thought that Palmer along Nyambe were our best two players today. Palmer was the only player who wanted the ball and looked like creating something.

Edited by Ewood Ace

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Granted it was up the opposite end but that didn't look an easy chance today it was on the half volley, on his weaker foot and he had to take it first time. Armstrong's chance shortly after they equalised was a simpler chance, as was when Armstrong broke and greedily shot instead of playing an unmarked Graham in. I thought that Palmer along Nyambe were our best two players today. Palmer was the only player who wanted the ball and looked like creating something.

You may change your mind when you see the replay. Palmers chance was an open goal sitter. 

Other than that, I thought he did ok.

Armstrong either stumbled or was clipped for hIs first chance. The second incident you mention was very poor. There were a few similar incidents to that once we'd gone 3 down, where players chose personal glory over playing someone else in.

Edited by Hasta

A shocker of a second half, we went a bit too gung ho when we went 2-1 down. We just didn’t compete that well today, which is unlike us. I still feel like we have a really exciting young squad being built here; one bad result won’t change that. 

I think TM was waiting for a defeat before dropping one or two players and bringing in some of our summer signings. Williams will almost certainly come in next match for Bell and Smallwood will be dropped for Reed. There surely has to be a regular starting slot for Rothwell, he looked excellent again today.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Couldn't agree more. Lack of competition for places across the majority of our backline is a horrible recipe for complacency. Raya, Nyambe, Mulgrew and Lenihan know they're only off the team sheet if they're injured. Bell at the very least has Williams to push him for a place. 

Seemed like it was Bauer or nobody with regards to a centre half (until Rodwell came along). Bauer was the physical, no nonsense bugger we needed. Rodwell is a ball playing centre half, when we don’t need two Charlie’s. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Au contraire mon ami.

You will notice that I very rarely get personal except in response. A criticism I will accept is putting people in groups - not sure why that upsets people though.

Fair enough. Lets agree to disagree on our views on Dack going on. Ok? 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I thought Palmer was awful and not up for the game. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

What does Rothwell have to do?

What has Reed done to deserve to start?

I agree. Rothwell should start for sure. Wide left

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

First of all, I’ve not suggested he was drinking. Different story and for me should be a disciplinary if he was.

To answer your question - imho...

1) Just how injured is he - he looks to be squatting down quite well on it?

2) If he is injured he could even go over on it again if it isn’t fully right and extend his lay off. Injuries can be - and are - caused by the most innocuous is circumstances.

3) Is he really doing everything he can to get back fit? E.g. resting and looking after it or is he taking his time and prioritising having a laugh.

4) Why does it need to be posted on social media to rub everyone’s noses in it? Yes, it was his ‘mate’ but he has put himself in that situation and surrounds himself with airheads.

5) His mate posting it has made it a public issue - at which point it brings the spotlight on the club and his team mates. Here is where the immediate problems start.

6) After the event, the team looked completely out of sorts today. Maybe a coincidence but their team spirit was a huge feature of last season and after a reasonable start their tails should still have been up. There wasn’t even the same today fight. Too many players weren’t in the right frame of mind. Could well be a coincidence, maybe fatigue levels are higher than last season but...

7) ...all I’ve said it that it can’t have helped. How do we know that half the players haven’t been laughing and the more experienced players weren’t disappointed in him. Maybe it created an atmosphere in the dressing room. Just pointing out his unprofessionalism on here has caused a bit of excitement and division.

Who knows.

You have to be simply making this shit up in your head in order to justify a terrible argument you made earlier in the heat of the moment. You honestly can't be attributing the lack of morale of a team just beaten convincingly 4-1 to one of their injured team mates having a photo taken the night before at a BBQ? Seriously? We were beaten by a better team. Bristol City aren't a small club any more - they were flying high last season and will do so again this year no doubt. I'm more than positive Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bennett et al all have more about them than letting a dressing room previously described as "the best they've been in" fall apart because Bradley fucking Dack saw a few of his mates last night.

Point number 1 is spoken like somebody who has never played a sport before. He's not going to be wheeled around 24/7 and being fit to play a combative sport like Championship football is a lot different to being fit to return to an office job. He probably even managed to put his own jeans on! Imagine the shock horror!!!

Of course he is doing everything he is doing to get fit. In fact, by simply resting all the time he would be doing his injury far worse. It needs to be a mixture of strengthening work outs, rest and general living. If he simply worked out and then sat with it up high all night he'd be hampering his recovery by 25-50%. Ask any physio worth his salt that.

I didn't feel like I "had my nose rubbed in" by another lad having fun. If your Saturday night was so boring that you felt that picture rubbed your nose in it then that's your problem. I'm sure we'd struggle to find a 2nd person who feels aggrieved at others having a laugh.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Why does everyone make it so personal? And then get so uptight when they get one back? Double standards on here are palpable.

The reason for the comment is obvious. The younger posters on here are in the main defending him. “He should be out and about the day before a match that he isn’t involved in. It’s a free country. He’s a grown man.”

The older posters in the main have higher expectations of a professional footballer paid thousands of pounds who should be focussed on getting back fit.

As always though on here, the groundswell is to go round and round with ad hominem posts and make what was an original disappointment into a great bit of sport in gleefully disagreeing with me for the sake of it.

One thing it does show though is the number of twentysomething posters we have on here who can’t tell their arses from their elbows and think social media is the best place to prove it.

You are a hypocrite of the highest order. You are harking on about making it personal and then go on to blanketly chastise all "twentysomething posters" as you do. Just because you don't specifically name those twentysomething posters you are still making it personal.

As an example: I could say that all elderly posters are stuck in their ways morons that need to get with the times. That's a personal attack to all elderly posters regardless of whether I named them or not. I don't genuinely believe that though because I'm not stupid enough to generalise an entire generation on an unfounded argument based on whether a young lad should be allowed to have fun or not.

I am sure he is focusing on getting fit by the way. I'm sure he isn't at them BBQs all day every day.

It's clear to see by this charade that it's you who doesn't know their arse from their elbow and use this board as a way in which to spout your shite. You have no idea what you are talking about when your argument is based around the fact he's bending his damn knee.

As an end note to this utter farce if Dack wasn't performing on the pitch and wasn't clearly as committed to our cause as he is then I'm sure posters of all generations would be annoyed at him if he started to post stories of him drunk. It won't just be the clearly more intelligent, highly in tune with the world, elderly posters that could see through it all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DE. said:

If he's costing £7m he should be coming in to replace Graham, shouldn't he? At our level you don't spend £7m on potential or a backup option. If we have then it's lunacy. 

No he should not be coming in to replace Graham, he's here to prove he can be our best striker and earn the right to replace Graham.

Danny Graham is one of, possibly the most, influential player at the club. Presumably Brererton will be given opportunity to show he can replace him but till then Danny should be first choice.

• Like 1