BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol City vs Blackburn Rovers, Sunday 1st September, 1.30pm KO

I follow/red button is great for overseas or long distances away UK Rovers fans.

However of course Ossydave is right, it does nothing for attendances as locals will now be able to watch getting towards half of our home games on Sky, assuming PNE and Leeds are also red button, along with all night matches, Villa already scheduled, plus others probably as the season goes on.

The ‘EFL’ is not the Premier League, it cannot, in my opinion, withstand saturated TV coverage and maintain crowds. I suppose the proof of that will be in the coming seasons as this beds in.

Edited by Mattyblue

I’m not, didn’t like the look of the train prices, so I’ll be watching the red button!

Makes me sound like a right hypocrite - I’ll be doing it for Swansea too, the rub being though if this service wasn’t offered then I wouldn’t be asking for it.

But sorry, wrong thread!

In principle I would far rather be there than watch on tv. However, due to cost, family and grassroots commitments away games are a no-no for me.

In reality, away games are not a great experience. Unless you get there early you don’t get your own seat (if it’s sold out) and standing is mandatory. Then you add in the scrotes who seem to think using the F word twice in every sentence is a sign of intellect and bonus points for the C word who sign vile songs then you aren’t even with people you particularly want to spend time with - let alone subject your kids to. And if you don’t like it then it’s your fault not theirs.

I expect the further you go then the fewer idiots follow though but that just increases the cost and time issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Behave

The sky red button is contributing to declining attendances for many teams as UK based fans literally can't be arsed to get off their backsides to support their teams. 

I am not saying it that it isn't. I am just saying for those of us that live abroad it makes it easier. If I were in the UK near Blackburn, I would go home and away! 

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

In principle I would far rather be there than watch on tv. However, due to cost, family and grassroots commitments away games are a no-no for me.

In reality, away games are not a great experience. Unless you get there early you don’t get your own seat (if it’s sold out) and standing is mandatory. Then you add in the scrotes who seem to think using the F word twice in every sentence is a sign of intellect and bonus points for the C word who sign vile songs then you aren’t even with people you particularly want to spend time with - let alone subject your kids to. And if you don’t like it then it’s your fault not theirs.

I expect the further you go then the fewer idiots follow though but that just increases the cost and time issues.

It’s so many home games being on TV that is the worry.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

It’s so many home games being on TV that is the worry.

True enough. Wouldn’t stop me getting a season ticket. Although it would almost certainly reduce walk-one at current prices. However, if the club were shrewd enough they could get paid for red button viewing AND make ticket prices stupidly low to maximise walk-ons. (Of course this would create problems for some ST holders who are very much against cheap walk on tickets).

Taking it to extremes, if every single game was televised and clubs got a decent revenue from it then they could offer £100 season tickets and £5 walk ons and make it about the experience.

Thats without applying any maths to it to work out what TV revenues would be to make that work.

Just now, Ossydave said:

The harsh reality of the sky generation 

FB_IMG_1535791156811.jpg

That’s very nice but it needs to be aimed at clubs. It’s they who price people out of football and they who agree to have their games televised in order to collect the tv revenue.

The anomaly of course is Leeds. Always on tv, rarely 3pm Saturday ko, highest ticket prices, yet 30k+ every at Elland Road every week. Yes, they have a higher catchment but they could all still watch on tv or in the pub. That has to be down to demographics and peer groups.

Rovers following the tv grab strategy will not hold up to that dynamic.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

That’s very nice but it needs to be aimed at clubs. It’s they who price people out of football and they who agree to have their games televised in order to collect the tv revenue.

If we do a root cause analysis though...a big part of why clubs have priced tickets so high and have to grab at any television money is that vast swathes of income are drained by player wages, which itself is driven partly by player greed but mostly by agent greed.

Clubs are in a peculiar position, where fan pressure to succeed and the financial structure and reality of the game means they have to take financial gambles, which means they have to recoup that money from fans and tv.

It's all a bit of a loop, with fans (armchair and hardcore alike) getting milked for their cash in a huge exploitation of their passion, and the ultimate beneficiaries being players and agents. As it worsens, the risks and debts become greater and something has to give somewhere.

• Like 1