"Laughter" emoji response

J*B

Reinstate the 'laughter button  

15 members have voted

1. 1. At poster request...

• Bring it back
    • Keep it away, abused by trolling

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/18 at 20:35

Question

At the request of posters - shall we bring this back, or will it be abused again?

EDIT: As it stands this has been removed from the forum due to complaints. We're happy to bring it back, but to do so it needs a 66% majority vote to establish a clear want. If it's a tight 55/45 in favour of bringing it back, it's not coming back. Poll open for 7 days.

21 answers to this question

21 hours ago, J*B said:

At the request of posters - shall we bring this back, or will it be abused again?

EDIT: As it stands this has been removed from the forum due to complaints. We're happy to bring it back, but to do so it needs a 66% majority vote to establish a clear want. If it's a tight 55/45 in favour of bringing it back, it's not coming back. Poll open for 7 days.

Strange that a poll is necessary. Stranger still that you want twice as many to say yes as no.

Don't bother. Leave it as it is if it’s that much of an ordeal.

15 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Strange that a poll is necessary. Stranger still that you want twice as many to say yes as no.

Don't bother. Leave it as it is if it’s that much of an ordeal.

If you think we're doing it wrong I'm happy to do it any other way if you have any ideas? I suggested 66/33 because i wanted a clear majority. 

It's not an ordeal at all to reinstate it or remove it - it's less than a minutes work. All I'm trying to do is do what the majority of posters want.

10 minutes ago, J*B said:

If you think we're doing it wrong I'm happy to do it any other way if you have any ideas? I suggested 66/33 because i wanted a clear majority. 

It's not an ordeal at all to reinstate it or remove it - it's less than a minutes work. All I'm trying to do is do what the majority of posters want.

I honestly don’t mind. It’s not about right and wrong - which is always based on ones point of view. I was just looking at it from a functionality perspective. There are lots of great funny posts on here and I’d sacrifice the idiocy of a few for that functionality. You can’t please everyone and even if the “majority” won you’d still have complaints from the minority. I expect the complaints that caused its removal were from a minority - and they won the day anyway.

Two things to consider:

How many people actually visit Ask Admin to vote so it will only be a tiny “majority” out of the electorate.

This isn’t a democracy, it’s your site do it how you see fit. If the complaints are a pain for you to administer then stick to your original decision and sacrifice the system functionality.

Glenn used to describe himself as a Benevolent Dictator and I think that works in keeping anarchy under control.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1
  • Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To see a mod writing that a laughing emoji was being "abused" is so funny. We have reached peak snowflake. Oh no, someone laughed at my post on a message board. I think I am going to go for a little cry :) 

Bring it back

To be fair, people were using it to wind others up. 

Winding people up= trolling, which is against the rules. 

It's not about what's acceptable to whoever as obviously everyone is different, it's about rules that have been in place for a while, to be fair.....

14 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair, people were using it to wind others up. 

Winding people up= trolling, which is against the rules. 

It's not about what's acceptable to whoever as obviously everyone is different, it's about rules that have been in place for a while, to be fair.....

Different things wind people up differently. I don't know if you can pander to everyone really. Removing laughter emojis for fear of people getting wound up is completely over the the top I think. To say its trolling, I dunno... 

"Oh Mr Mod please remove the laughter emoji because it winds me up when someone laughs at me" 

I used it one day because I genuinely found what the poster wrote to be funny. He then got annoyed because he hadn't intended to be funny. Ye mods don't have an easy job.. 

• Moderation Lead
45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Different things wind people up differently. I don't know if you can pander to everyone really. Removing laughter emojis for fear of people getting wound up is completely over the the top I think. To say its trolling, I dunno... 

"Oh Mr Mod please remove the laughter emoji because it winds me up when someone laughs at me" 

I used it one day because I genuinely found what the poster wrote to be funny. He then got annoyed because he hadn't intended to be funny. Ye mods don't have an easy job.. 

No, but we can be perceptive enough to see when people are deliberately winding others up and when things are likely to escalate. 

If it's obviously a joke, then it's different. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

No, but we can be perceptive enough to see when people are deliberately winding others up and when things are likely to escalate. 

If it's obviously a joke, then it's different. 

It's a very gray area you are getting into moderating whats a joke and what isn't, what someone finds funny or doesn't. I think people need to relax and if someone laughs at their post, just not let it bother them. FAR bigger things going on in the world 

• Moderation Lead
16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's a very gray area you are getting into moderating whats a joke and what isn't, what someone finds funny or doesn't. I think people need to relax and if someone laughs at their post, just not let it bother them. FAR bigger things going on in the world 

We're talking about when someone gives their opinion on a player for example, then if other people laugh at that, we'd say that was trolling, for example.

People needing to relax on here is a given, but in an ideal world, which this isn't! 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

We're talking about when someone gives their opinion on a player for example, then if other people laugh at that, we'd say that was trolling, for example.

People needing to relax on here is a given, but in an ideal world, which this isn't! 

So what if you give an opinion and someone laughs? Get over it. It is so harmless on the grand scheme of things. I used to get regular laughs for some of my opinions :D 

To remove laughter from the options in case someones feelings get hurt is over the top I think

Anyways, has Chapman signed yet? :) 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Any chance of us agree and disagree emojis? 

Would just be better if people used the laughter emoji how it is meant to be and not as a way of trolling. I know it is not only you too but you have to admit that you do it far more than most.

• Like 1