Group B: Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, PSV Eindhoven, Inter Milan

Group C: Paris Saint-Germain, Napoli, Liverpool, Red Star Belgrade

Group D: Lokomotiv Moscow, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray

Group E: Bayern Munich, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens

Group F: Manchester City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Hoffenheim

Group G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA Moscow, Viktoria Plzeň

Group H: Juventus, Manchester United, Valencia, Young Boys

Will Real win again? I don't think so.

Tottenham definitely in the group of death with no weak teams in there. Inter have made some good signings in the summer so will be a big threat, and PSV are the weakest side in there but they do have Lozano.

United and Liverpool have also got groups that youd probably fancy them to get through in but with Valencia and Napoli as well as the giants of Juventus and PSG, itll make for some interesting games.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, philipl said:

Indeed, a remarkable sequence of results last night.

I watched the Liverpool game and doubt that anybody would have quibbled if the result was 6-2 in Liverpool's favour, they missed a hatful. Napoli should have had 2.

Spurs had a bad start but mad eit by the skin of their teeth. They were unlucky last year, hopefully they'll do better this time out.

• Moderation Lead

Liverpool were very good last night, just wasteful in front of goal. Napoli were overawed by the occasion and froze imo.

Alisson’s save really was something though! The difference in their defence since him and Van Dijk signed has been like night and day.

2018-2019 knockout stage draw;

Schalke vs. Manchester City

Atletico Madrid vs. Juventus

Manchester United vs. Paris Saint-Germain

Tottenham vs. Borussia Dortmund

Lyon vs. Barcelona

Roma vs. Porto

Ajax vs. Real Madrid

Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich

I'll give Roma-Porto a miss but the rest should be good games.

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:11, JacknOry said:

Man Utd out then.

It's looking like it. I can't see them scoring 3 without reply in Paris, No Pogba either.

Last night was a reality check for Man U. PSG are a good side. Man U were never at the races. They looked more like Mourinho's team than the one that's been beating inferior opposition over the last few months.

Porto got beat 2-1 in Rome. That tie is wide open.

Spurs v. Dortmund today. Should be interesting.

After last night's performance it looks like Spurs will see off Dortmund. But it is Spurs. Vertongen was woeful in the first half, and terrific in the second.

Ajax lost 2-1 to Real. They look like a good side though. Unfortunately it won't last though, the big boys will come in and sign all their good players.

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It just shows how far the last few seasons have detached them from the top clubs in Europe. Great to see 

I said that with Special K in charge but they have improved since. Saying that, it does seem that OGS has to prove it against good teams.

PSG even without Neymar are still a top, top side with one of the best managers around.

If in ten years Mbappe isn’t talked about as in the same bracket as C. Ronaldo I’ll be stunned. He’s just gone 20.

Di Maria is back to his actual self.

Draxler, Alves, Silva, Buffon - it’s a better team than United all day and I wouldn’t judge OGS on it at all.

I wouldn’t write PSG off to win the thing tbh even if they do play teams of farmers most weeks.

• Moderation Lead

PSG are a sensational side, Tuchel to be fair to him, seems to be doing the business. For me, the CL is wide open this year and would be the best opportunity for any of the outsiders to step in!

• Like 1

Not much action yesterday.

Liverpool-Bayern 0-0

Lyon-Barcelona 0-0

I expect Barcelona to cruise at home against Lyon. Bayern-Liverpool is much closer. I think that the edge goes to Bayern. They are at home, and Liverpool have lost all their away games in the Champs League this season. However, the Germans won't play like they did at Anfield. They will attack more leaving more space for Liverpool to exploit on the break. Liverpool will also have van Dijk back.

I watched Liverpool v Bayern until HT, 4 am-ish here, and fell asleep. Woke up thinking Bayern might have just sneeked a 0-1.

I now fancy Liverpool to score at least 1 in the away leg so in with a chance with van Dijk back.

Thought a few Liverpool players were a bit off in the half I saw, Robinson was one of then but both Bayern wingers (?) are hot.

I am not wasting sleep on City though.

Barcelona looked terrible again last night, how Valverde has got himself a new contract I don't know. Suarez dreadful again, he looks more and more past it with each game. The two midfielders of Rakitic and Roberto move the ball as slowly as Evans and Smallwood, take Arthur out of their midfield and they are a pretty average side last night was the perfect chance for Coutinho to play in midfield.

It's sad to watch Barca these days after the ground breaking football they played a few years, their game plan now is to hope Messi and Dembele produce some individual brilliance in attack and to rely on ter-Stegen (the best goalkeeper in the world for me) to make great saves at the other end.

I'd still back Barca to go through at the Camp Nou but I wouldn't rule Lyon out from springing a shock. 

Looking forward to the Atletico Juventus game tonight, should be a cracker.