BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League 2018-2019

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I don’t really understand why some are against away goals?

Its fantastic for drama.

Either going through or going out and no inbetween.

It would have been great drama. If that 93rd minute winner would have counted.

In the end it was a damp squib as the first leg result was all that mattered.

Just now, Stuart said:

It would have been great drama. If that 93rd minute winner would have counted.

In the end it was a damp squib as the first leg result was all that mattered.

It was offside.

Im not sure how the team that won the first game going through makes for a damp squib? Especially in such circumstances.

The rules around away goals is known to both teams beforehand and conceding 3 at home after being nullified in the first leg shouldn’t really leave anyone feeling robbed.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

• Like 5

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It was offside.

Im not sure how the team that won the first game going through makes for a damp squib? Especially in such circumstances.

The rules around away goals is known to both teams beforehand and conceding 3 at home after being nullified in the first leg shouldn’t really leave anyone feeling robbed.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

I’ve already said conceding three was their problem. But ultimately a game that Spurs lost has been nullified because the won their home game without conceding.

Did I mention I can’t stand Spurs?

Just now, Stuart said:

I’ve already said conceding three was their problem. But ultimately a game that Spurs lost has been nullified because the won their home game without conceding.

Did I mention I can’t stand Spurs?

Haha 

I’m completely neutral so I’m just glad of all the elements that came together to make one of the most breathtaking and exhilarating games I’ve seen in years.

Football was the real winner tonight (if that helps you at all!)

16 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Haha 

I’m completely neutral so I’m just glad of all the elements that came together to make one of the most breathtaking and exhilarating games I’ve seen in years.

Football was the real winner tonight (if that helps you at all!)

Football lost. Nobody won tonight.

Football lost just because Man City didn't go through. Sorry for being so direct and rude but what utter nonsense.

That one game was the best thing to happen to a usually predictable and moribund tournament. It was amazing and I can't suggest what else to replace away goals. Combined transfermarket sqaud values, with the highest value winning? Aggregate possession percentage? And now Spurs will be without Son, Kane and possibly Sissoko for the first leg against Ajax. Don't let us down Ajax.

• Like 1

Brilliant game which was one of the best I have seen on TV. Even City could never survive  Laporte making three huge errors early on, two of which were punished by goals from son.

Thinking of Italy 4 W Germany 3 in the 1970 World Cup level of excitement and enjoyability.

Ajax and Barca start as favourites for getting to the final. That defeat might have tipped the odds to Liverpool in the league also.

• Like 1

For the handball, had that come over the top of several heads and brushed a defenders arm ever-so-slightly in that position, no-one would have said penalty. Therefore, whilst it did nick his forearm, you can't disallow it for that.

It was a remarkable game whereby at the end either Man City got KO'd out of their holy grail competition again, or Spurs bottled another competition again. Anyway you looked at it you won.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, den said:

Alan Shearer should know that just because the ball touches an arm, doesn’t mean it’s illegal. 

It's annoyed me that people would claim that was a penalty, but from next season the law is being cleared up to say you cannot score if the ball goes in off your hand/arm whether it was a 'handball' or not.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It's annoyed me that people would claim that was a penalty, but from next season the law is being cleared up to say you cannot score if the ball goes in off your hand/arm whether it was a 'handball' or not.

It grazed his arm, hit his hip which gave the speed and direction change and then grazed Open Doors hand on its way in, Mr VAR sorted it correctly. 

• Backroom

At the end of the day football is a sport that is governed by rules, and those rules should be applied as fairly and rigidly as possible, otherwise you might as well not bother having them at all. People have been conditioned since 1992 to see football as entertainment first and sport second. Personally I'm very happy to see a system implemented which is going some way to putting an end to illegal goals and cheating. It isn't perfect but it's better than what came before it. VAR is dramatic in of itself and more importantly it has a far better chance of getting the right decision as opposed to the most entertaining or biased/Old Trafford decision.

1 hour ago, Rover_Shaun said:

The VAR sanitisation of football continues. 

Not sure if you watched it but that is so far away from the way I saw it.

It was a new level of drama.

I was vehemently against VAR initially but I'm starting to like it. Got the decisions right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Pep on the touchline was like performance art :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJ3Cbzk_3M

That’s not what I want football to become.

They need to get far quicker at knowing if a goal is offside or not. Looked very tight from that video, btw.

The delirium of a 93rd minute winner in a 5-3 thriller to send your team into the semis.

Or:

D24A4197-71FD-4CCB-A087-330915B11025.gif.5e228cfc34c7bbef228ad06a1c859d29.gif

I think var will ultimately end up making the right decisions and improve overall ...I just don't like it. If the last minute Sterling goal was onside and city went through then var would have killed the moment.

Can you imagine the famous AGUEROOOOW moment being referred to VAR .

So whilst it will eventually make the game fairer with more correct decisions I just don't think it's worth it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think var will ultimately end up making the right decisions and improve overall ...I just don't like it. If the last minute Sterling goal was onside and city went through then var would have killed the moment.

Can you imagine the famous AGUEROOOOW moment being referred to VAR .

So whilst it will eventually make the game fairer with more correct decisions I just don't think it's worth it

The only people who will like VAR are the beneficiaries.

• Like 1