BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League 2018-2019

Still expect either Chelsea or Arsenal (or both) to mess up tonight.

But if we see two all English European finals, worth remembering that perhaps only 6 players in the starting 44 would be available for selection for England and all the Managers will be non-English.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Messageboard gold?

Had a great sleep though :( just woke up here at 11 am !!  Recovering from watching the Liverpool v Barca game all the way through previous night.

I have a history for this , Istanbul 2005 and off to bed at half-time being the other cock-up.

TTF I stayed up to witness L'Pool win v Barca.

Never saw Spurs recovering from 3-0 down and I was feckin tired and Moura was friggin useless from the part I saw as were Ericksen, Ali and Trippier to name just 3 spuds and well it was Spurs, serial bottlers

Delighted for Spurs though and just maybe they owe me one.

Off to YouTube to catch-up.

PissedOff-inAsia

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

it might be sour grapes but the bias towards the big clubs is unreal . i remember all the press giving Rovers greef because we were seeded. but when two teams who didn't win the league get to the final its ok.

After all the excitement of the semi's, 0-0 (90 mins)  is currently 10/1  for the final :)

Both teams  given an allocation of 16,613 tickets for the CL final. Capacity of Ground is 68,000

Category 1: £513 (£410 restricted view) Category 2: £385 (£308 restricted view) Category 3: £154 (£120 restricted view) Category 4: £60

Edited by perthblue02

2 hours ago, philipl said:

But if we see two all English European finals, worth remembering that perhaps only 6 players in the starting 44 would be available for selection for England and all the Managers will be non-English.

I didn't watch either match but there can be no denying the extraordinary quality of the results.

I have a problem though. The "Champions" League final will be played between two teams who failed to win a championship last season and are likely to finish second and fourth this season.

Basically the final is a Premier League match and has little to do with "Champions." Another great example of the ills of the modern game.

The European Cup determined the Champions of Europe not this money making exercise.

• Like 6

• Backroom

The name "Champions League" doesn't really make much sense nowadays when a significant portion of the participants are not champions of anything. It's just what the brand is now, though, and I can't see them changing it. 

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

After all the excitement of the semi's, 0-0 (90 mins)  is currently 10/1  for the final :)

Both teams  given an allocation of 16,613 tickets for the CL final. Capacity of Ground is 68,000

Category 1: £513 (£410 restricted view) Category 2: £385 (£308 restricted view) Category 3: £154 (£120 restricted view) Category 4: £60

A game for the real fans eh? It's a game for the sponsors and corporates and UEFA are a disgrace charging them prices. If Rovers were in the Champions League final I honestly wouldn't pay that.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I didn't watch either match but there can be no denying the extraordinary quality of the results.

I have a problem though. The "Champions" League final will be played between two teams who failed to win a championship last season and are likely to finish second and fourth this season.

Basically the final is a Premier League match and has little to do with "Champions." Another great example of the ills of the modern game.

The European Cup determined the Champions of Europe not this money making exercise.

I understand your stance, however if only the champions of each league participated it would be a small competition which pretty much only started at the quarter final stage....unless the champions from all the smaller leagues around Europe were given direct entry and the qualifiers taken away.

Perhaps people would prefer this but as you say it would bring in much less revenue to TV. 

Edited by benhben

Prepare for more national embarrassment and humiliation as the intelligentsia among Spurs and Liverpool inflict a day and night of misery on Madrid.

As English football fans are unable to go abroad and have a good time without getting drunk, fighting, urinating in public and being generally disagreeable, I feel sorry for the citizens of Madrid, the Spanish public in general, and the Spanish police service who have to deal with them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

My Price: £/$ 0, Unrestricted view from my Sofa :rover:

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

The name "Champions League" doesn't really make much sense nowadays when a significant portion of the participants are not champions of anything. It's just what the brand is now, though, and I can't see them changing it. 

It's worth remembering that when Man Ure won it 20 years ago (the one they've mentioned a zillion times in the last few months). They were not The league Champions either.

• Backroom
Just now, Husky said:

It's worth remembering that when Man Ure won it 20 years ago (the one they've mentioned a zillion times in the last few months). They were not The league Champions either.

It's just a grand sounding title. It's all it's ever really been. It doesn't bother me. The only thing about the CL that bothers me is the fairly boring group stages. Find a way to make those more interesting and for me the format is all good. 

8 hours ago, philipl said:

I take your point Philip but I would put my house on the number of English players starting the games being more than 6.

Edited by oldjamfan1

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Prepare for more national embarrassment and humiliation as the intelligentsia among Spurs and Liverpool inflict a day and night of misery on Madrid.

As English football fans are unable to go abroad and have a good time without getting drunk, fighting, urinating in public and being generally disagreeable, I feel sorry for the citizens of Madrid, the Spanish public in general, and the Spanish police service who have to deal with them

Lets not just pin it all on English fans ..if Ajax had got there im damned sure Madrid would have had its hands full. Loads of trouble throughout the CL with fans at other clubs. In fact it could be a good thing two English clubs have got to the final probably a lot less chance of violence than if a foreign side had got there with the silly "We are England" nonsense.

As for feeling sorry for the Madrid police really ? ..they ll be polishing their batons now ready for theway over the top policing and fan bashing that the Spanish are renowned for !

• Like 2