BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League 2018-2019

54 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's just a grand sounding title. It's all it's ever really been. It doesn't bother me. The only thing about the CL that bothers me is the fairly boring group stages. Find a way to make those more interesting and for me the format is all good. 

They're boring because it is a league. Revert to the old European Cup knockout format and it would be exciting again. But it won't happen because money rules

• Like 4

5 hours ago, philipl said:

But if we see two all English European finals, worth remembering that perhaps only 6 players in the starting 44 would be available for selection for England and all the Managers will be non-English.

They always play it up as a "victory for English football"

English football is dominated by foreign players and foreign managers. The clubs are private companies owned by foreign investors. On that basis, it's difficult to attach any sort of patriotism to their achievements.

• Like 1

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

They're boring because it is a league. Revert to the old European Cup knockout format and it would be exciting again. But it won't happen because money rules

For me it's more that the same teams always inevitably end up going through. There's an upset once every few years but whoever gets through instead always gets knocked out instantly in the next round. It's a bit like world cup/european cup qualifying, largely predictable and stale. Obviously the Nations League was introduced to try and combat that, but I'm not convinced it's the right idea and obviously wouldn't work for the CL anyway. 

Shame Ajax couldn't quite make the final before they end up selling all their players. I bet they'll be out at the group stage next season. I suppose Spurs getting there is a change from the usual Real Madrid/Barca/same old team finals that are so predictable.

By the way, my hatred for Spurs stems from their arrogant dismissal of us prior to the Worthington cup win.

Just now, DE. said:

For me it's more that the same teams always inevitably end up going through. There's an upset once every few years but whoever gets through instead always gets knocked out instantly in the next round. It's a bit like world cup/european cup qualifying, largely predictable and stale. Obviously the Nations League was introduced to try and combat that, but I'm not convinced it's the right idea and obviously wouldn't work for the CL anyway. 

Upsets can always happen with 2 -leg knockout football. Looks what's happened this week.  That was the beauty of the old European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup-winners Cup.  It's making cups into leagues that make it boring. The dominance of the same teams is a different issue and applies to most of the main domestic leagues throughout Europe. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Upsets can always happen with 2 -leg knockout football. Looks what's happened this week.  That was the beauty of the old European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup-winners Cup.  It's making cups into leagues that make it boring. The dominance of the same teams is a different issue and applies to most of the main domestic leagues throughout Europe. 

It applies to domestic leagues, yes, but the point of the CL is to bring the elite teams together to eliminate that kind of thing! If it's happening even in the most elite European competition then they've got it wrong. 

I do agree that straight knockout would be better, with less overall teams. Elite competition should mean elite competition, not try to include everybody so nobody feels left out and/or we can make more money out of TV deals. 

Just now, DE. said:

It applies to domestic leagues, yes, but the point of the CL is to bring the elite teams together to eliminate that kind of thing! If it's happening even in the most elite European competition then they've got it wrong. 

I do agree that straight knockout would be better, with less overall teams. Elite competition should mean elite competition, not try to include everybody so nobody feels left out and/or we can make more money out of TV deals. 

So I think we're agreed the old European Cup with champions only taking part and knockout football in every round was much better than the over-hyped, over-inflated Champions League

• Like 4

3 hours ago, benhben said:

I understand your stance, however if only the champions of each league participated it would be a small competition which pretty much only started at the quarter final stage....unless the champions from all the smaller leagues around Europe were given direct entry and the qualifiers taken away.

Perhaps people would prefer this but as you say it would bring in much less revenue to TV. 

I understand the point you make and yes it probably would be a smaller competition.

Being old enough to have watched, listened or read about, the real European nights I see it differently. The nights of a rain sodden Anfield or Old Trafford in grainy black and white photographs or TV. Waiting for the next day's newspaper for a report. Foreign teams we probably only really new by name. These were the nights when clubs like Liverpool built their European history. Utd beating Benfica at Wembley in '68 with probably half the country watching or listening.

I realise I sound like an old fart harking back to a golden era but it really was so much better, so different, so exciting. The current format is simply boring.

I can't recall the last European game in any competition I watched. I probably would have watched Liverpool this week if it had been on accessible TV.

Edited by Paul

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Still expect either Chelsea or Arsenal (or both) to mess up tonight.

But if we see two all English European finals, worth remembering that perhaps only 6 players in the starting 44 would be available for selection for England and all the Managers will be non-English.

Kane Ali trippier rose possibly dier and winks, if fit......Gomez Henderson milner and Arnold. I make that 10 English players that would be available for selection. Plus sturridge, brewster on the bench. How many Spanish players were in the barce team. Spanish in the real Madrid team. Germans in the Bayern team and so on

Edited by roverandout

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

How many Spanish players were in the barce team. Spanish in the real Madrid team. Germans in the Bayern team and so on

Looking at Barca’s Wiki page, a squad of 24 players is listed of which 5 are Spaniards. There are a further 15 players out on loan, of which 7 are Spanish.

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Looking at Barca’s Wiki page, a squad of 24 players is listed of which 5 are Spaniards. There are a further 15 players out on loan, of which 7 are Spanish.

How many are Catalan?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Amo said:

They always play it up as a "victory for English football"

English football is dominated by foreign players and foreign managers. The clubs are private companies owned by foreign investors. On that basis, it's difficult to attach any sort of patriotism to their achievements.

I'm up for Frankfurt in honour of the Royal baby. How's that for patriotism?

• Like 1

Comes down to this - 

Spurs winning pisses off Arsenal fans

vs

Liverpool winning pisses off Man U fans

Europa - 

Arsenal winning rubs it into Spurs fans 

vs

Chelsea winning pisses off everyone 

Liverpool and Arsenal please

• Like 4

• Backroom

At least the commentators may at least pretend to be less biased with Liverpool playing an English team, who am I kidding the pundit team will still be these guys Fletch:

JS72834296.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Comes down to this - 

Spurs winning pisses off Arsenal fans

vs

Liverpool winning pisses off Man U fans

Europa - 

Arsenal winning rubs it into Spurs fans 

vs

Chelsea winning pisses off everyone 

Liverpool and Arsenal please

Yes, but Spurs winning also pisses off Liverpool fans by leaving them potless despite having probably their best side in decades. Sadly it'll mean that United fans will have a brief smile on their faces, but that'll fade soon enough once they remember the state of their own team. Spurs winning means the optimum number of Sky clubs fans are left gloomy over the summer!

Totally with you on Chelsea getting beat, such a dislikeable club. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

If Chelsea win the Europa, what happens to the Champions League place given they’ve already qualified through third place?

It goes to the team that finishes third in Ligue 1.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Such a bizarre concept.

It should just be league winners but the money men win the debate.

It would decrease the quality of the football massively if the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid etc were replaced by champions from more obscure leagues,

• Like 1