BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League 2018-2019

7 hours ago, Husky said:

Well, I thought Liverpool would win, but I couldn't see Barca not scoring.

Barca were lucky to be 3 up from the first leg. If you thought Liverpool glory hunting was bad it pales in comparison to that of Barca.

Still on for the Spurs Ajax cup win. Lol!

CL: Liverpool v London

Europa: London v London

• Moderation Lead

Can't stand Liverpool, but that's a hell of a result and performance by the sounds of things.

I decided not to bother watching it as they'd have no chance of winning......

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Still finding that win by Liverpool surreal. Barca were remarkably inept at taking the sting out. Last goal was something under 9s are coached not to do!

Fair play to Liverpool, they were unbelievably good - especially when you consider they were without Salah and Firmino. Valverde is one God damn awful manager when his teams come under pressure though. A half decent manager would have had them through last night - one huge bottle job.

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, philipl said:

Still finding that win by Liverpool surreal. Barca were remarkably inept at taking the sting out. Last goal was something under 9s are coached not to do!

It was a very poor performance. Barca looked utterly terrified after that first goal went in. Even at the end when they desperately needed to push to get a goal they were hilariously bad at trying to attack. Last season's capitulation to Roma could be seen as a fluke but, much like with PSG, when it happens two years in a row in such spectacular fashion there is clearly something fundamentally wrong with the mentality of the players in those squads.

Granted both have won their domestic leagues at a canter but that is a very different scenario to knock-out ties. Much less pressure, especially when in Ligue 1 there is such a gap in quality between PSG and everyone else, and in La Liga the only competition for Barca this season has been a fairly average A. Madrid team, with Real tripping over their own shoelaces for most of the season and set to finish 3rd for the second year in a row. I believe this will also be the first time since the 13/14 season that Barca finish on less than 90 points, and only the second time in the last decade that has happened. Have to assume the manager will be off in the summer. Poch incoming perhaps?

Edited by DE.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Can't stand Liverpool, but that's a hell of a result and performance by the sounds of things.

I decided not to bother watching it as they'd have no chance of winning......

I didn't fall for that ruse, I went to bed at half time when they played Milan in Istanbul in 2005.......

A point overlooked is that last night Liverpool were quite adept at putting a foot in, sometimes quite slyly. I quite liked that facet of their game.

• Like 1

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I wouldn’t have thought so DE. He managed their local rivals Espanyol and I believe has openly said he could never manage Barca due to that. Randomly he’s best friends with their President though, so in saying that, you never know. 

Didn't realise there was that kind of history there. I suppose they're just as likely to promote another coach as the figurehead and let Messi continue to control the team. 

Im not quite sure why so many neutrals dislike Liverpool. I agree many of their fans are painful at times but no more than Man U fans (who I find even worse and are more concerned at what Liverpool are doing than Man U), Arsenal, Chelsea Etc. They are a team who play together, fight together, have a decent quota of English players with an entertaining manager who unites the whole club. I find the style of football they play brilliant to watch. 

I think the season they have had they deserve a trophy. They would have won the league at a canter weeks ago if it wasnt for one of the best sides the prem has ever seen also being in the running. 

Amazing game. I half expected them to give up and focus on the weekend given their injuries up front and a 3-0 defecit.

• Like 4

Just now, benhben said:

Im not quite sure why so many neutrals dislike Liverpool. I agree many of their fans are painful at times but no more than Man U fans (who I find even worse and are more concerned at what Liverpool are doing than Man U), Arsenal, Chelsea Etc. They are a team who play together, fight together, have a decent quota of English players with an entertaining manager who unites the whole club. I find the style of football they play brilliant to watch. 

I think the season they have had they deserve a trophy. They would have won the league at a canter weeks ago if it wasnt for one of the best sides the prem has ever seen also being in the running. 

Amazing game. I half expected them to give up and focus on the weekend given their injuries up front and a 3-0 defecit.

It's because football runs on schadenfreude. I don't think most fans dislike Liverpool more than United as such, just that there (relative) lack of success has been going on for ages, and the longer it continues, the funnier it gets!

I'm now totally convinced that Spurs are going through tonight, just because the funniest possible outcome is Liverpool having a night like yesterday, lose once in the league all season, and are still pipped at the post by Tottenham & City. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

It's because football runs on schadenfreude. I don't think most fans dislike Liverpool more than United as such, just that there (relative) lack of success has been going on for ages, and the longer it continues, the funnier it gets!

I'm now totally convinced that Spurs are going through tonight, just because the funniest possible outcome is Liverpool having a night like yesterday, lose once in the league all season, and are still pipped at the post by Tottenham & City. 

I hope Spurs get through. Liverpool will see them off.

Sadly the Citeh are another matter.

Both legs a bit strange. No way should Liverpool have lost 3-0, should have had at least 2.

Same goes for Barcelona last night. Sanchez alone should have had 2 but shot weakly and Messi needs his sights adjusted. One goal and Liverpool would probably have been out of it.

However that was as brave an effort from an English team as I ever remember.

The pure joy that flowed down from the stands gave me goosebumps.

• Like 3

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I hope Spurs get through. Liverpool will see them off.

Sadly the Citeh are another matter.

I hope they don't. Then they have no chance of winning the cup, and they'll still be a smaller, less successful club than Blackburn Rovers in terms of trophies. We've won the league more times, but a CL win would top that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I hope they don't. Then they have no chance of winning the cup, and they'll still be a smaller, less successful club than Blackburn Rovers in terms of trophies. We've won the league more times, but a CL win would top that.

Ah now I see your referring to Tottenham, however they have won more trophies than us! 17-10

Edited by old darwen blue

13 hours ago, Tom said:

That fourth was stunning from Alexander Arnold 

Doubt the lad wouldn't have got a look in with Mowbray as his manager - far too young and inexperienced at 20 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's simple - if you are good enough you are old enough.

The way Mowbray holds back our young talent is, IMO, absurd.  Brererton with his 'amazing talent'.  Reed is better away from our club - rarely played in his best position.  Rothwell given his chance 6 months too late and only in forced circumstances.  Bennett over Nyambe!  Travis on verge of going out on loan until Mowbray forced to play him.  You could go on and on and on.

Anyhow great stuff Liverpool.  They play exciting football and Klopp deserves a trophy for his refreshing approach.  Will be no surprise if City slip at Brighton and let Liverpool in for the PL.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

I cannot see Spurs prevailing tonight- they are the ultimate bottlers.

They're also a much weaker team without Harry Kane. That said I'd rather see a Liverpool v Ajax final than Liverpool v Spurs, so am hoping Ajax hold their nerve tonight.