Jump to content
speeeeeeedie

Champions League 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'm sure our players are coached and the manager will have an agenda to work from. The difference being for me that I cannot remember the last time I read or listened to an interview with either. The exception being if Radio Lancashire happen to get Mowbray on before we get home.

That aside I hear no club propaganda whatsoever.

I guess the Utd Ajax game would have been great to watch but I don't have time to watch CL football on the off chance of seeing a good game. Which of course can equally be said about my weekly trips to Ewood. I'm afraid I don't understand how a football fan get by without live games. The TV version is, to my mind, totally sanitised..  As it happens health prevents me getting to Ewood on Saturday so I'll find coverage somewhere.. The difference being it's my team ...,.........

 

I too don't listen to interviews, they offer nothing.

I do miss going to matches. Living in the USA I go to the odd MLS game, I usually go to a pre season friendly to see the European big boys jog around, and get a couple in when I go back to England.

I also benefit from the time difference. Games are over and done with by 5pm my time. I always have my evenings, and afternoon weekends free. The games are also easily accessible.

I am more interested in the technical/tactical aspect of football rather than the emotional side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My uncle was always one of those ‘I’m a football fan first’ types.

I don’t get how that even works. I mean I  watch other games on TV, but it doesn’t in any way compare to the feeling of watching YOUR club. The ups and downs, the feeling of that late winner, the anguish of the late defeat. Analysing the table, looking at the fixtures and on it goes.

Other games? You watch it, then you change the channel and that’s that

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

My uncle was always one of those ‘I’m a football fan first’ types.

I don’t get how that even works. I mean I  watch other games on TV, but it doesn’t in any way compare to the feeling of watching YOUR club. The ups and downs, the feeling of that late winner, the anguish of the late defeat. Analysing the table, looking at the fixtures and on it goes.

Other games? You watch it, then you change the channel and that’s that

I know that I'm in the minority, especially on here.

I've never had the emotional attachment to Rovers that many have.

I remember reading Gav's posts about his guilt and sadness toward his family at not going to games because of Venkys. It baffled me why he felt that way. But he's far from alone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul said:

I would largely agree with @Rover_Shaun and yourself except in the case of your argument I fully agree with and understand those who have so little interest.

I don't know your ages but at 64 I'm old enough to recall when the European Cup (Champions League), Fairs Cup, FA Cup etc. were special. Dark, grainy images of a rain soaked Anfield, Old Trafford etc. with exciting players I knew pouring forward in search of a victory. It didn't matter who you followed on a Saturday on those nights you'd want a Utd win.

Today - I couldn't give a fig. Absolutely no interest in any of it. Why? Very simple. What used to be very special and unusual has been turned in to the mundane and ordinary. It's simply fodder sold to an audience who have little, if any, real interest. We have to listen to players, managers, commentators pontificate about the same subjects with the same answers after every single game. Not an ounce of originality in anything any of them have to say. Why should I care? In any other field if I'm fed the same old, same old week after week I eventually walk away.

I'm not criticising any but basically the TV audience is being fed crap and lapping it up. 

Why would I want to watch 22 players running around, cheating, feigning injury, wasting time, back chatting the ref, etc. when I don't care who wins and have probably never heard of the player?

There was a time when football was special and you planned a day around watching the game. Today the only special thing for me is Rovers. The rest are an irrelevance.

Good friend of mine is a Stockport County fan. That's the game we discussed this week.

Good post and thanks for the reply.

I'm 33. I can relate to alot of that. Football used to be my passion. I loved it. It was in my heart and soul. The same way you would adopt I child, I adopted rovers. I deeply cared about it, loved it, worried about it and was proud of it. Money and greed, devalued completions etc have murdered the game I adopted as my own.

It may no longer have the same passion and resonate with the fans on an emotional level the way it used to but... Imo, It's still the best entertainment in the world it's just not the game I fell in love with.

Nothing else gets me excited like football does. Nothing else makes me go out of my way like football does. Is this because I have matured and childlike niavety has left me along with my innocence and I see the business side of the game what I couldn't see as a child. The greed and corruption or am i still yearning to find the same enthusiasm and love I had for the game as a child. 

So to sum up I can't feel the same connection to the game I once did but as an entertainment it's world's ahead of the music, film industry etc and all other sports. That's what keeps drawing me to watch champions league finals, fa cups etc. Being able to discuss at length with other fans,  work colleagues and people down the pub . Football can draw strangers to Bond in a way I have rarely seen. Just a badge on your hat can start endless chat with people who would otherwise ignore you. That side of the game is still alive and once you ignore the stupid pundits, advertising and constant talk of how much the game is worth in pounds underneath somewhere is 22 people battling it out for that childhood dream we all had. If I focus on that then the game I loved can never die

 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

My uncle was always one of those ‘I’m a football fan first’ types.

I don’t get how that even works. I mean I  watch other games on TV, but it doesn’t in any way compare to the feeling of watching YOUR club. The ups and downs, the feeling of that late winner, the anguish of the late defeat. Analysing the table, looking at the fixtures and on it goes.

Other games? You watch it, then you change the channel and that’s that

Being a football fan requires no investment. It’s a pastime so I imagine it’s actually quite enjoyable.

Once you start going to live games, paying money and investing emotionally in your team it becomes something more.

Do that long enough and...

...well, you’re pretty much doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Rovers more than I love football, but I’m keen on both! 

I play football three times a week as well. A huge part of my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Aye.

Don’t know if I should thank or punch me dad for getting me involved with the Rovers.

Thank... I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always preferred Messi over Ronaldo due to natural talent and his less in your face demeanur....but I think over the last three years you cant argue with what Ronaldo has achieved in the game. Scored regularly in three different leagues, won the euros with an average portugal side and won 3 champions leagues. 

I think he has edged slightly ahead of Messi for me in terms of an all time great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benhben said:

I always preferred Messi over Ronaldo due to natural talent and his less in your face demeanur....but I think over the last three years you cant argue with what Ronaldo has achieved in the game. Scored regularly in three different leagues, won the euros with an average portugal side and won 3 champions leagues. 

I think he has edged slightly ahead of Messi for me in terms of an all time great. 

Oof don’t start that! 

Messi is undoubtably the best footballer of all time for me. He’s absolutely unbelievable, consistently magic.

Ronaldo is the greatest athlete and competitor the game has ever seen, with the strongest will, drive and self belief.

 

They should have a baby.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Juventus game is one reason why I like watching Champions League football. It was a great game.

Simeone's negativity cost them. He should have tried to attack especially with the players he has at his disposal.

I'll leave the Messi v. Ronaldo fanboy debate well alone but Ronaldo earned his corn last night. Juventus would be out without him.

City made it look easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 20:19, Mattyblue said:

Aye.

Don’t know if I should thank or punch me dad for getting me involved with the Rovers.

That is a great line.

 I'm the same. My son is the same. And my grandson is beginning to think the same. When Jack took over the Rovers, I and my son thought we would be top 4 in the Prem for ever. I was regretting my dad not seeing it. He died in 1965.

Then, of course, there was May 2017, relegation into League 1.

We've watched the brilliance and the abhorrent throughout our lives. And, I suppose, it will continue to be ups and downs forevermore.:rover:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Oof don’t start that! 

Messi is undoubtably the best footballer of all time for me. He’s absolutely unbelievable, consistently magic.

Ronaldo is the greatest athlete and competitor the game has ever seen, with the strongest will, drive and self belief.

 

They should have a baby.

 

 

Pele, Cruyff, Maradona. All were better than Messi and Ronaldo. The Brazilian Ronaldo was a better player than his namesake until injuries took their toll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pele, Cruyff, Maradona. All were better than Messi and Ronaldo. 

Have to disagree there. Was Cruyff better than Finney? Silly question really because football has progressed in craft and speed.

Messi and C Ronaldo are definitely the best players of today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bazza said:

Have to disagree there. Was Cruyff better than Finney? Silly question really because football has progressed in craft and speed.

Messi and C Ronaldo are definitely the best players of today.

Always very subjective, especially as the game has moved on, sometimes not for the better.

I dislike Ronaldo for his lack of humility, I think Beckham has more, but Ronaldo a better player.

I can never forgive Maradona for you know what, but I also think morally and personally he was corrupt, despite having phenomenal talent.

Cruyff was probably the best of the "modern" post 70's players, but Pele was something else. Just never tested himself, apart from in the World Cup, outside his native country, until the US came calling.

Messi for me, just behind Shearer in a four year spell. Was crap thereafter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazza said:

That is a great line.

 I'm the same. My son is the same. And my grandson is beginning to think the same. When Jack took over the Rovers, I and my son thought we would be top 4 in the Prem for ever. I was regretting my dad not seeing it. He died in 1965.

Then, of course, there was May 2017, relegation into League 1.

We've watched the brilliance and the abhorrent throughout our lives. And, I suppose, it will continue to be ups and downs forevermore.:rover:

I don’t like the bit where my kids never get to see any real ups, having already lived through so many downs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doncaster was a great moment for the young ‘uns.

For cynical bastards like us, it was largely a relief to get out of that god forsaken league at the first attempt. But as an example, a 16 year old that we know, goes every game home and away, only really remembers the Venky era Rovers, he said it was one of the best days of his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11945/11665044/champions-league-final-ticket-allocations-revealed-by-uefa

The Champions League final ticket allocation has been announced with each finalist getting 17,000 each while 25,000 tickets are allocated to the local organising committee (whoever they are), UEFA and national associations, commercial partners and broadcasters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Doncaster was a great moment for the young ‘uns.

For cynical bastards like us, it was largely a relief to get out of that god forsaken league at the first attempt. But as an example, a 16 year old that we know, goes every game home and away, only really remembers the Venky era Rovers, he said it was one of the best days of his life.

It’s all relative Matty. Perversely, it is probably a better experience for anyone who has only ever known Rovers since Venkys rocked up.

For anyone else it’s like losing £20 and finding 50p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juventus/Barcelona kept apart in the semi finals smells a bit fishy.

Always seems the 'showcase final' contenders are kept apart in the semi final draws, although City will cause serious problems for Juventus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I’ve got it right, we could see a relatively major English derby match in the CL semi AND final!

Utd vs Liverpool

Utd vs City

And I’d be interested in neither compared to T’Classico

Edited by Mike E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.