BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Support for Gladwin

It's odd they never paid him off when they were letting others go and I fear that might be down to his heavy contract.  If he came for very little on modest wages it was just another gamble that didn't work but if he cost and earns some of the figures banded about it was a bollock dropped.

A signing made in good faith or favour but was never destined to work out and I wouldn't be surprised if he just sits out his contract I doubt there'll be a queue waiting to sign him.

Edited by tomphil

It wasn't the lack of talent Gladwin shown that completely irritated me it was the lazy way in which he went out about it. He would half arsed jump for a header or close the ball down. Then when he eventually got the ball at his feet, in a place where you'd expect he could do some damage, he continued in that lethargic manner. A poorly disguised pass or a naive attempt to beat his man when a simpler ball, which if executed with actual conviction, was on. 

He definitely reminded me a bit of the "could have made it" lads who play down Pleasington. A show pony with no real understanding of the game or the importance of team work.

Finally, I will never forgive him for his lack of application in our humiliating defeat to Burnley. Yes, they were a side put together with the PL millions but there were players on that pitch that didn't understand the gravity of that situation. A tactic employed by Mowbray that game was for Raya to hit Gladwin whilst he competed for the header against Phil Bardsley. Makes sense - Bardsley is in his 30s and about half a foot smaller than Gladwin. Bardsley won more or less every header and the couple that Gladwin won one went out of play and the other straight to Brady. He wasn't bothered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

It's odd they never paid him off when they were letting others go and I fear that might be down to his heavy contract.  If he came for very little on modest wages it was just another gamble that didn't work but if he cost and earns some of the figures banded about it was a bollock dropped.

A signing made in good faith or favour but was never destined to work out and I wouldn't be surprised if he just sits out his contract I doubt there'll be a queue waiting to sign him.

Suppose its one of them where Whittingham and Caddis may have been more open to compromise in that they are not injured and can look for another club, whereas Gladwin is sat on a year contract and hes injured for that timespan. He will want to use our facilities to recover and theres no point paying off his full contract at once.

• Like 2

I remember being quite surprised at his lazy manner the first couple times he played for us... You've got to wonder if he had that same lethargic style when he starred for Swindon in L1 back in 2015. Perhaps lost his head a bit after his big money move to QPR.

Oh well. Probably didn't cost us too much in the end and he was always more of a punt than a player on which we were looking to depend.

Edited by RoverCanada

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Suppose its one of them where Whittingham and Caddis may have been more open to compromise in that they are not injured and can look for another club, whereas Gladwin is sat on a year contract and hes injured for that timespan. He will want to use our facilities to recover and theres no point paying off his full contract at once.

Depends how recent this latest injury actually is, if he was anywhere near fit they should've been looking to shift him one way or another. Maybe they did an he has decided to sit on who knows, he's every right to I suppose.

Edited by tomphil

Which is why they should stay well away from players like these but we seem to have to add one to the books on a good contract every summer for some reason whilst other similar placed clubs to ourselves avoid them.

Stokes, Gladwin now Rodwell and there's been others but we are still waiting for one of these gambles to pay off ......

Edited by tomphil

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is more to this Gladwin thing than meets the eye. When it comes to the end of this season he will have been out for almost 2 years with a vague knee injury. I would say it's a mental health thing myself and I wish him the best in that. 

Hope not for his sake.

I'm no medical expert but there's been a clip/interview just put on iFollow with Dom Samuel and Gladwin is there in the physio room and his knee looks like John Merrick's so maybe that's just what it is.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Hope not for his sake.

I'm no medical expert but there's been a clip/interview just put on iFollow with Dom Samuel and Gladwin is there in the physio room and his knee looks like John Merrick's so maybe that's just what it is.

Just googled John Merrick there. I only knew him by his nickname. Poor fecker. 

Ok, ya, well if it looks like it, my theory is nonsense. He got this injury ages ago, weird that it would still be swollen, unless it's something very bizarre 

19 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Feel sorry for them both. I know what it's like missing the game you love through long term injury and it's much worse for them because it's their livelihood and their career. Samuel knew it was a make or break season for him and worked very hard on his own in the summer to improve his fitness and was showing distinct signs of improvement before his injury. Gladwin has ability but needs to play regularly, which is very unlikely at Ewood now; I doubt we'll see him in a Rovers shirt again. 

I don't care for Samuel at all but you have to respect the fact that he was trying to give it a right good go.  Putting in the extra effort over summer shiwed he at least wants it.  Fell sorry for him that he did not get a chance to see if his extra effort wiuld have paid off.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Backroom

After being out for so long he'd ideally be sent out on loan somewhere for a few months to get his fitness and game readiness back up to scratch. Then in the summer work out if he's any good to us as a squad player. I would say probably not but Tony is sometimes too loyal for his own good. 

If he gets another contract there'll be questions I know he's had a bad injury and I wish him well but he was pretty useless before that, get fit then get rid I bet there's a good wage there can be used for someone else.

• Like 1

I don’t mind Samuel. He could certainly do a job as a late sub for Graham, actually resembles a forward.

Gladwin isn’t ever going to make it at this level, and it’s an area of the pitch we are well stocked in, don’t even consider a new deal.

Edited by Mattyblue

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t mind Samuel. He could certainly do a job as a late sub for Graham, actually resembles a forward.

Gladwin isn’t ever going to make it at this level, and it’s an area of the pitch we are well stocked in, don’t even consider a new deal.

Does he? Haha. He failed to score as I said after November.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2018 at 15:32, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just googled John Merrick there. I only knew him by his nickname. Poor fecker. 

Ok, ya, well if it looks like it, my theory is nonsense. He got this injury ages ago, weird that it would still be swollen, unless it's something very bizarre 

A pedant will tell you it was Joseph Merrick . I think they changed his name in the film for some reason....

• Like 1