BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

with the game now on the red button,will you still travel?

4 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Red button coverage is poor. Standard definition, one camera, no replays, no co-comms. It's a real budget offering that needs vastly improving to even being close to being a game-changer. 

And considering Sky have now lost La Liga along with the Champions League a few years back without a hint of a price reduction it's frankly insulting that the coverage of this is so poor and under-funded.

It might have changed now, but not very long back sky were very willing to negotiate their prices. Lots of people have benefitted financially from that including me.

4 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Red button coverage is poor. Standard definition, one camera, no replays, no co-comms. It's a real budget offering that needs vastly improving to even being close to being a game-changer. 

And considering Sky have now lost La Liga along with the Champions League a few years back without a hint of a price reduction it's frankly insulting that the coverage of this is so poor and under-funded.

The coverage is very poor and Sky need to jmprove the service massively. 

La liga used to be good but I find it recently not as good as it was 5 years ago. Why Eleven Sports got the rights I dont know. Missing out on alot of viewers and cant imagine the viewers viewing numbers are great. I dont want to watch football on my laptop but on my tv. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Red button coverage was dire yesterday, I got a headache watching the camera zoom around trying to find the ball.

Sky Sports are going to have to rethink their pricing, the loss of La Liga is a big one for me. I think after this season I will be cancelling my subscription and relying on match-passes for Rovers midweek games. I'm more interested in watching La Liga than the hyperbole saturated SUPER SUNDAY BEST GAME EVER offering each week.

I would rather watch English football then Spanish football personally myself. 

I dont have BT Sports and wont. Dont like they coverage and prices for sports are far too much for me considering how much I would get to watch football wise. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Red button coverage was dire yesterday, I got a headache watching the camera zoom around trying to find the ball.

Sky Sports are going to have to rethink their pricing, the loss of La Liga is a big one for me. I think after this season I will be cancelling my subscription and relying on match-passes for Rovers midweek games. I'm more interested in watching La Liga than the hyperbole saturated SUPER SUNDAY BEST GAME EVER offering each week.

The coverage was dire you're right. It was good for our home game against Reading though. It did annoy me yesterday, as it said there would be replays etc, but there wasn't, it was basically what you watch on ifollow.

Personally I like the fact there is more EFL games on now, I can't be doing with La Liga it's so boring, EFL games are quite often end to end, you can't beat it. Also the more EFL games sky do, the more money it brings into the EFL.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The coverage is very poor and Sky need to jmprove the service massively. 

La liga used to be good but I find it recently not as good as it was 5 years ago. Why Eleven Sports got the rights I dont know. Missing out on alot of viewers and cant imagine the viewers viewing numbers are great. I dont want to watch football on my laptop but on my tv. 

I would rather watch English football then Spanish football personally myself. 

I dont have BT Sports and wont. Dont like they coverage and prices for sports are far too much for me considering how much I would get to watch football wise. 

Eleven Sports presumably bid more than Sky or BT for the rights so its not a case of deserving it, if they bid more then it is what it is.

I bet the ratings have gone down so we will see if its sustainable long term, personally I hope not but I imagine that football rights diversifying over several channels (Amazon Prime have also secured some rights) and even into streaming will continue over the next few years. Gone are the days of one network covering all of the games, to the cost of the consumer.

I am very disappointed with it as I did watch both leagues but on very much a casual basis. For example, between the evening PL game and the EFL highlights being on. I would never pay for a seperate subscription or go out of my way to watch it online via streaming as you touch on, hence why I suspect that ratings will have dropped.

Find Sky and BT to both be pretty good in terms of coverage in the main, although I prefer pundits such as Jamie Redknapp and Michael Owen to be kept off. BT is made worthwhile with both Premier League games and European games.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Eleven Sports presumably bid more than Sky or BT for the rights so its not a case of deserving it, if they bid more then it is what it is.

I bet the ratings have gone down so we will see if its sustainable long term, personally I hope not but I imagine that football rights diversifying over several channels (Amazon Prime have also secured some rights) and even into streaming will continue over the next few years. Gone are the days of one network covering all of the games, to the cost of the consumer.

I am very disappointed with it as I did watch both leagues but on very much a casual basis. For example, between the evening PL game and the EFL highlights being on. I would never pay for a seperate subscription or go out of my way to watch it online via streaming as you touch on, hence why I suspect that ratings will have dropped.

Find Sky and BT to both be pretty good in terms of coverage in the main, although I prefer pundits such as Jamie Redknapp and Michael Owen to be kept off. BT is made worthwhile with both Premier League games and European games.

Surely leagues like Seria A and La Liga should have thought about the normal fans instead of chasing the cash. 

I think for the 1st La Liga game they shown they only had 275 viewers. 

I used to watch La Liga on the odd game like 8pm kick off game on Saturday if missus gone out or watch the 11am Sunday game. I watched all the PL and FL coverage on Sky. I wont bother with BT Sports as cost too high, cant stand the coverage and Im at work when Champions League is on. So now with no La Liga I just tend to watch a movie/tv series now on Sky/netflix/amazon instead. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely leagues like Seria A and La Liga should have thought about the normal fans instead of chasing the cash. 

I think for the 1st La Liga game they shown they only had 275 viewers. 

I used to watch La Liga on the odd game like 8pm kick off game on Saturday if missus gone out or watch the 11am Sunday game. I watched all the PL and FL coverage on Sky. I wont bother with BT Sports as cost too high, cant stand the coverage and Im at work when Champions League is on. So now with no La Liga I just tend to watch a movie/tv series now on Sky/netflix/amazon instead. 

Why would they? And if you are a supporter of a team in them leagues, which we arent, we are casual viewers, then youd pay for the rights regardless.

Why would they choose a lower deal to allow fans who support English clubs to watch it casually and infrequently without having to pay any extra?

The red button game wasn't a proper Sky game - it was just an afterthought. So spoilt Sky viewers got to see what crap iFollow subscribers have to put up with. As they simply just lazily took the feed and shoved in on their channel - at no great expense.  . . in fact hardly any expense at all.

iFollow only has an improved viewer experience (for those that can ignore the terrible out of sync commentary) when the game is shown live (or featured) somewhere else (as with the game against Reading) as they simply do the opposite of what Sky did and stream the featured games feed on iFollow - hence the replays and better camera angles.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would they? And if you are a supporter of a team in them leagues, which we arent, we are casual viewers, then youd pay for the rights regardless.

Why would they choose a lower deal to allow fans who support English clubs to watch it casually and infrequently without having to pay any extra?

Attractive younger fans and try to keep existing viewers. How many existing fans of European football have signed up to Eleven Sports? 

Not every person is a casual fan tho. Sky Sports were showing up to 6 games a week and I know a couple of people who would watch all them games every week. 

would I Pay eleven sports monthly fee? Nope even tho I like watching european football. I dont want to pay either. 

I remember watching Channel 4 coverage of Italian football and really enjoying it. Miss it tbh but thats life sadly

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Attractive younger fans and try to keep existing viewers. 

But when people said to you on the cricket thread that taking that sport away from free to air TV has ensured that large numbers of kids don’t watch and they’ve lost millions of viewers and therefore potential fans - you disagreed.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

But when people said to you on the cricket thread that taking that sport away from free to air TV has ensured that large numbers of kids don’t watch and they’ve lost millions of viewers and therefore potential fans - you disagreed.

Sky have over 13 millions customers in the uk so plenty of people can watch cricket

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sky have over 13 millions customers in the uk so plenty of people can watch cricket

Do all 12 million + have a sky sports package as well as the basic ?    BBC and ITV potentially have 50+ million viewers

Figures from 2017 suggested an average of 819,000 viewers in the UK for Premier League matches and half that for championship matches, do you think those figures would be higher on free to air? because I do and the same would apply to Cricket with more casual viewers 

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/807311/ashes-series-cricket-free-tv-britain-jon-coates

Edited by perthblue02

Football is enormous in this country, a vast  profile and fan base that can survive being behind the paywall. A hell of a lot of that 13 million are there simply for football.

Cricket, as it just doesn’t have that following, has gone underground in public profile this past decade. If you put a picture of Burnley’s Jimmy Anderson - one of the greatest bowlers in the history of the game in front of 100 say 11 year olds and a picture of some journeyman from Burnley FC - who do you think will be more recognised?

Cricket should have adopted the rugby union model - i.e most games  behind the paywall, but the biggest events - Six Nations every year and the World Cup on free to air. 

Rugby Union’s profile outside it’s heartlands - I.e the north has never been bigger, the opposite is true for cricket.

Sky is for the ready converted, sport nuts who have the means to pay a hell of a lot of money every month, but what about the potential converts? 

Edited by Mattyblue

I have to admit I find the red button very poor, if I had any intention of going to a game whatsoever the red button wouldn’t tempt me not to go. Regarding Sky and their ever growing ways to make money out of customers, I received a letter from them last week saying I couldn’t carry on with my normal standard definition Sky Sports as they were scrapping it so I had to upgrade to HD. They are doing me a huge favour of only charging me £2 per month instead of £6 though, they are waiting 12 months for the full price!

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

Do all 12 million + have a sky sports package as well as the basic ?    BBC and ITV potentially have 50+ million viewers

No idea but will they coverage the cricket as in depth as Sky and some of the best pundits in the business? 

No idea how many have Sky Sports packages. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Football is enormous in this country, a vast  profile and fan base that can survive being behind the paywall. A hell of a lot of that 13 million are there simply for football.

Cricket, as it just doesn’t have that following, has gone underground in public profile this past decade. If you put a picture of Burnley’s Jimmy Anderson - one of the greatest bowlers in the history of the game in front of 100 say 11 year olds and a picture of some journeyman from Burnley FC - who do you think will be more recognised?

Sky is for the ready converted, sport nuts who have the means to pay a hell of a lot of money every month, but what about the potential converts? 

Thats why Sky have done different sports packages for various sports fans. 

Depends where the 100 people were from surely? 

Yes I paid for all the sports plus netflix and amazon. Do I think its alot? Personal no I dont but I accept not everyone is a sports nuts like me. If people want to watch then will find a way to pay. 

Did I watch all of the last test match? Yes I watch most(over 70%) of the match. 

I enjoy a bit of tea time quizzing watching Pointless - what always strikes me is modern cricketers when asked about are totally unknown, but cricketers from the 70s through to Flintoff and Pietersen have big name recognition - why do you think that is?

I believe Test matches get around 300/400 thousand viewers daily on Sky - Tests used to get millions. It doesn’t matter how good the coverage is if no bugger’s watching it.

And it will only get worse as young people just aren’t exposed to the game.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No idea but will they coverage the cricket as in depth as Sky and some of the best pundits in the business? 

No idea how many have Sky Sports packages. 

Thats why Sky have done different sports packages for various sports fans. 

Depends where the 100 people were from surely? 

Yes I paid for all the sports plus netflix and amazon. Do I think its alot? Personal no I dont but I accept not everyone is a sports nuts like me. If people want to watch then will find a way to pay. 

Did I watch all of the last test match? Yes I watch most(over 70%) of the match. 

None of this matters because in 5-10 years everybody will watch sport on DAZN.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Attractive younger fans and try to keep existing viewers. How many existing fans of European football have signed up to Eleven Sports? 

Not every person is a casual fan tho. Sky Sports were showing up to 6 games a week and I know a couple of people who would watch all them games every week. 

would I Pay eleven sports monthly fee? Nope even tho I like watching european football. I dont want to pay either. 

I remember watching Channel 4 coverage of Italian football and really enjoying it. Miss it tbh but thats life sadly

My point was, I would imagine many viewers of foreign football in England are casual, hence the lack of take up now that we have to pay extra to access it.

Hardcore fans or fans of specific Italian and Spanish teams will end up subscribing to Eleven Sports, and if necessary, finance permitting at the expense of Sky Sports and BT. 

Your problem is an inability to show empathy to anyone with different needs or from a different perspective, as shown by your views on the Darwen End Closure, IMO. If English football was moved to Eleven Sports and Spanish had remained on Sky, we would both have probably had to bite the bullet and get Eleven Sports, and if it was too costly, remove Sky Sports or BT to make way.

I share your skepticism towards streaming games and am not a fan of it. I hope @J*B is wrong in his prediction that within 5 to 10 years we will all be streaming matches as most if you gave them the choice would watch on tv as they do now. But sadly if thats the only place where its available then that id what will happen.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point was, I would imagine many viewers of foreign football in England are casual, hence the lack of take up now that we have to pay extra to access it.

Hardcore fans or fans of specific Italian and Spanish teams will end up subscribing to Eleven Sports, and if necessary, finance permitting at the expense of Sky Sports and BT. 

Your problem is an inability to show empathy to anyone with different needs or from a different perspective, as shown by your views on the Darwen End Closure, IMO. If English football was moved to Eleven Sports and Spanish had remained on Sky, we would both have probably had to bite the bullet and get Eleven Sports, and if it was too costly, remove Sky Sports or BT to make way.

I cant see me paying to watch games on a laptop. Probably just find something else to do. 

Sorry I dont have inabality to show empathy to anyone with different needs or from a different perspective, so thats is a complete lie. 

On 04/09/2018 at 07:59, Mattyblue said:

I enjoy a bit of tea time quizzing watching Pointless - what always strikes me is modern cricketers when asked about are totally unknown, but cricketers from the 70s through to Flintoff and Pietersen have big name recognition - why do you think that is?

I believe Test matches get around 300/400 thousand viewers daily on Sky - Tests used to get millions. It doesn’t matter how good the coverage is if no bugger’s watching it.

And it will only get worse as young people just aren’t exposed to the game.

What's cricket ?