BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The job Southgate has done reminds me alot of what Tony's is doing here. Both were nobodys first choice but since taking the jobs have got the team re engaged with the fans. Shipped out the old and have brought in Young blood, full of hunger and desire to build for the future with long term goals set. Both can still leave more questions being asked  than provide the answers on the pitch but the results are there and off the field it's a good as it's been in a long time. If you believe Tony deserves a new contract I find it staggering anyone could question why Southgate doesn't deserve one as the jobs both have done are almost identical.  In southgate we trust and gets behind the lads ffs 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

Much prefer the 4 2 3 1 formation than the 5 3 2 or whatever we played at the WC (even though we got to a semi final). Think the players look more comfortable .

Rashford missed two sitters. 

Would like to see Sancho and Madison for last 20..Just to see what they're like.

Edited by benhben

Only saw the second half but thought we played well. The two rashford misses are inexcusable at that level, he should have buried at least one of them. I see alot of room for improvement but I actually enjoy watching England play again. The more I watch the optimistic I get. I think Gareth has done a wonderful job this far and long may it continue

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What tonight has warranted this comment?

His persistance with dier and henderson..they are both way out of their depth. Why pick 3 young lads who have the ability to change a game and give one of them 10 minutes..hes a bottler. Our midfield is woefully short on quality.  Heaven help us what spain will do to us

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

His persistance with dier and henderson..they are both way out of their depth. Why pick 3 young lads who have the ability to change a game and give one of them 10 minutes..hes a bottler. Our midfield is woefully short on quality.  Heaven help us what spain will do to us

Our midfield is short on quality but im not sure how thats his fault.

Thats the first time hes played Henderson and Dier together in a long while, and it took both Alli and Lingard being out for him to do so. I wouldnt play them together, Henderson is good, Dier isnt, but he is hardly flush full of alternatives. Barkley was given another chance and did ok in bits and the change from a back 3 (a formation Southgate seemed stubbornly stuck to) actually enabled us to have a lot more possession and nullify one of if not the best central trio in international football.

Southgate did say he was cautious of giving debuts out in an empty stadium, Sancho has mainly been having an impact for Dortmund off the bench and under previous managers he wouldnt have got near the squad. He should potentially start over Rashford on Monday for me though. Mount and Maddison have done well, the latter doesnt really fit into the formation however.

Im hardly a devout Southgate fan but you are massively going over the top.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Our midfield is short on quality but im not sure how thats his fault.

Thats the first time hes played Henderson and Dier together in a long while, and it took both Alli and Lingard being out for him to do so. I wouldnt play them together, Henderson is good, Dier isnt, but he is hardly flush full of alternatives. Barkley was given another chance and did ok in bits and the change from a back 3 (a formation Southgate seemed stubbornly stuck to) actually enabled us to have a lot more possession and nullify one of if not the best central trio in international football.

Southgate did say he was cautious of giving debuts out in an empty stadium, Sancho has mainly been having an impact for Dortmund off the bench and under previous managers he wouldnt have got near the squad. He should potentially start over Rashford on Monday for me though. Mount and Maddison have done well, the latter doesnt really fit into the formation however.

Im hardly a devout Southgate fan but you are massively going over the top.

Not really..southgate said he would have no problems giving debuts to untried players..he could clearly see henderson and dier wasnt working and did nothing about it

I stopped watching at half time, 2.30 am here, it sounds like the 2nd half was a bit better but it had 0-0 final score written all over it so sleep seemed the better option.

A major factor in that decision was the pairing of Dier and Henderson, feck me they must be two of the most boring useless midfieldfielders in my time watching England. Henderson a master of the under-hit short lazy suicide pass back to his usually marked defenders.

Rashford proving once again that he is not the striking answer in an England shirt. Pure pace and not much else.

Can't understand why Kane didn't play. That's a joke but he can forget about going to RM or Barca, mind you his supply line with England is shall we say somewhat limited.

Barclay back in an England shirt a suprise but good on the lad for getting his career back on track, I thought he was a busted flush.

I like Maguire and the lad who played left side defence, Chilwell.

I will watch v Spain, if only for a game with crowd atmosphere. Last night was weird and even more so with the oddly coloured seating.

What's up with the Croatia shirt colours, I really used to like their red and white polka dot home colours.

Fair play to the England fans who went and stood up on a hill.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Dier hit the post. Kane hit the bar. Rashford missed 2 absolute sitters, yet your main observation is to lambast England's central midfield. It certainly wasn't a classic but I've not seen Modric or Ratikic that quiet for a long time. England were by far the better team, and what is most promising is that there were no over 30's out there.

I do think though that Dier should re purpose himself as a centre half. He doesn't have the speed to play in midfield, but he is an accomplished footballer.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I stopped watching at half time, 2.30 am here, it sounds like the 2nd half was a bit better but it had 0-0 final score written all over it so sleep seemed the better option.

A major factor in that decision was the pairing of Dier and Henderson, feck me they must be two of the most boring useless midfieldfielders in my time watching England. Henderson a master of the under-hit short lazy suicide pass back to his usually marked defenders.

Rashford proving once again that he is not the striking answer in an England shirt. Pure pace and not much else.

Can't understand why Kane didn't play. That's a joke but he can forget about going to RM or Barca, mind you his supply line with England is shall we say somewhat limited.

Barclay back in an England shirt a suprise but good on the lad for getting his career back on track, I thought he was a busted flush.

I like Maguire and the lad who played left side defence, Chilwell.

I will watch v Spain, if only for a game with crowd atmosphere. Last night was weird and even more so with the oddly coloured seating.

What's up with the Croatia shirt colours, I really used to like their red and white polka dot home colours.

Fair play to the England fans who went and stood up on a hill.

Agree with everything apart from rashford..hes got great technical ability but his finishing is woeful and thats down to mourinho not playing him in his proper position

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

Not really..southgate said he would have no problems giving debuts to untried players..he could clearly see henderson and dier wasnt working and did nothing about it

He has given many debuts out, he gave Chilwell a full debut and brought Sancho in off the bench. He has given many debuts out and did say earlier in the week that he was wary of giving out many last night because he didnt want their debut to be behind closed doors. I'm not convinced Maddison has a place in this team, hes a 10 rather than part of a 3 man midfield, Mount I'd love to see get some game time on Monday.

I hate seeing Henderson and Dier together, the former I rate, the latter is crap. But Southgate could turn around and say they did what most cant and nullified Modric and Rakitic, something we failed to do in the World Cup. We got a credible draw and should have won but for 4 huge chances missed. 

Thought we were decent to be honest. Poor game but we were the better side overall. Should have won by a goal or two.

I guess Southgate will keep adding new players until he sees something that really clicks. It's an interesting approach after years of having a side mostly made up of undroppable players. Real test will be to see if he drops Stirling, it's just not working for him. Rashford at least gets chances.

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, roverandout said:

Agree with everything apart from rashford..hes got great technical ability but his finishing is woeful and thats down to mourinho not playing him in his proper position

I’ll be honest, I still think this is a myth about Rashford. 

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

I’ll be honest, I still think this is a myth about Rashford. 

He's an odd one. Great technically but hard to say what his position really is. Reminds me a bit of Welbeck in that regard.

He's only 20 though. Probs best thing for him would be to go somewhere where he is the key striker. Probs would need to go aborad to get that and CL football. He'll always be third choice at best at Utd, Liverpool, City, Arsenal. Might get a regular gig playing with Kane at Spurs, but them again they like playing one up top and Erikson behind. Chelsea maybe, weirdly they are short in strikers at the moment? But in my opinion he is exactly the sort of player who should be looking abroad for a gig.

The right move could really bring him on in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Sterling and Rashford, the two lads that needed goals the most, have a brace and one respectively....

Doing pretty well this half and tbh, it could have been more! Doesn’t look like Spain have a full side out, but then again, it could be argued that we don’t either!

• Like 1