BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Breaking News: Bobby Charlton is to be recalled to the England team. Bobby wasn't given a proper send off as the last of his 106 England caps came in Mexico during the 1970 World Cup. Additionally Bobby never got awarded a cap for friendlies so it's only fitting he gets his 107th in such a game especially as they are now devalued and any old dosser can get one. The FA also feel it's only fair he's given the chance to regain his top England goalscoring record and therefore will be put on penalty duty and special dispensation has been applied to FIFA to suspend the offside rule for Bobby thus allowing him to tartline. After all it's just a friendly.

• Like 1

I thought the idea of England friendlies was to try some of the promising youngsters. Mason Mount will probably miss out on winning a cap through this idiocy. It devalues the prestige and honour of playing for England. Once again the FA show how they have little or no understanding of how the majority of football fans in this country think. This is a man who has been sent off twice whilst playing for England and publicly criticised the England fans who were in South Africa who had the temerity to boo the team after a dreadful performance. His rap sheet off the field makes interesting reading too.

Shame on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne Rooney has been included in the current England squad as an honour for his service for his country, what a load of old bunkum that is.

I'll never forget him questioning the loyalty of thousands England fans as he left the pitch in Cape Town after an awful World Cup performance against Algeria (0-0).

"nice to see your own fans booing you, that's what loyal support is"

He played during a time when players were more interested in the next boot deal, rather than playing for the national side. He certainly would have been dropped from my squad for the remarks above and wouldn't have played again until he apologised, and let's face it, he wouldn't have been missed, we won nothing during his time in the squad.....

Very poor decision by the FA.

Edited by Gav

• Moderation Lead

I was in London this weekend already, so I bought a ticket some time ago for this game tonight. Have to say, I wasn’t exactly jumping for joy about giving Rooney a token cap when he’s already had so many....

Edited by K-Hod

• Backroom

Would everyone still be getting worked up about this if it was Beckham or Lampard having this done (when they were still playing in MLS)?

I do wonder how much of the adverse reaction is more to do with the charachter involved rather than the action itself.

Whilst I do think that actually playing him in any capacity at a time when we seemingly are trying to bring through a whole new generation and build on the world cup success is a bit stupid, there is far too much disrespect towards Englands record goalscorer. 

Im well aware of his tournament history but he deserves credit and to be at least somewhat celebrated.

Find it totally bizarre that Fabian Delph is going to be captain mind you.

I personally have no issue with giving Rooney 15 minutes for a proper send off. He is our record goalscorer and unfortunately was in his prime when the rest of the England set up was a complete shambles. 

I am far far more mystified by Fabian Delph being selected as Captain. He must have less than 10 caps and hasnt kicked a ball for city for some time. Ive not seen the squad but If Delph is captain I am assuming they are all making their England debuts. 

• Like 1

Money spinning cynicism aside I'm not that bothered. He'll play for 15/20 minutes, maybe even 10 (his number) then be off. It's a friendly. Germany did it with Podolski, and he played England off the park.

Hopefully Rooney can have a lasting impression on some of the younger players - don't do what I did as I won nothing with England.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Gav said:

YES

Ok, you don't need to shout. 

It bemuses me I must say.

For years people have slagged friendlies,  said what a waste if time they are, and that they need scrapped.

Then, one unpopular ex player is earmarked for a send off, and everyone does a promt u-turn.

Now,  friendlies are some hallowed event, and it's sacrilege and an insult to the badge for our record outfield cap holder and goal scorer to don the shirt again.  

It doesn't add up, so there's definitely some hidden agendas amongst it all. 

• Moderation Lead

I’ve no problem with Rooney at all tbh. I do feel he’s come in for some over the top criticism from fans and pundits alike. But this just seems a hit unnecessary tbh. He’s retired already, can’t he just let it be?

• Like 1

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He’s retired already, can’t he just let it be?

Not to jump down your throat, but that sentence typifies the issue. 

Do you think he organised it?!

No, the FA did and invited him back. What's he gonna do? What, you want me to come back and honour me for my service to England football - piss off, I've got better things to do!

Everyone would have gone even more mental then. Oh look at Rooney,  thinks he's above England now. Can't even be bothered getting on a plane to come and be honoured. See, always said he was an ungrateful git. 

The boy literally can't win sometimes no matter what he does. 

I wouldn't want his life for anything, barring the bank balance obviously.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silas said:

Not to jump down your throat, but that sentence typifies the issue. 

Do you think he organised it?!

No, the FA did and invited him back. What's he gonna do? What, you want me to come back and honour me for my service to England football - piss off, I've got better things to do!

Everyone would have gone even more mental then. Oh look at Rooney,  thinks he's above England now. Can't even be bothered getting on a plane to come and be honoured. See, always said he was an ungrateful git. 

The boy literally can't win sometimes no matter what he does. 

I wouldn't want his life for anything, barring the bank balance obviously.  

That's a very fair post

Just now, gumboots said:

For me it's about the precedent it sets. Are we now going to get this for every player who has won a certain number of caps? 

You might if he has also set a new goalscoring record in the process, possibly, yes. 

I've never been that keen on the lad myself, but he is England's record goalscorer after all, and its not as if there haven't been recent precedents (albeit not English ones).

• Like 1

Isn't this game an insult to the USA?

Unless of course they are in on the whole thing . . .  marketing, backhanders, Rooney playing in The States etc.

Will they let Shrek score? Could this be Delph's Paul Ince moment? Do the Yanks have any players these days? Is Diana Ross going to make a half time appearance? There are so many questions. . .There's a bit of WWF about the whole thing.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I missed the game. Logged on. Suprised at the lack of talk about the game, formations, Rooney's performance etc. 

None event. USA were atrocious so made it feel like an exhibition match, which it was, really.

Would have been nice to see Rooney bag one though.

Should be a very good game vs. Croatia. They’re a top side and the winner makes it to the final four of this Nations League thingy - the loser is relegated! ???

(I think)

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Moderation Lead

We were good tonight with a second string out. I really hope for their sake that isn’t their full strength XI as that’s as bad as I remember the USA being....

They seemed to want to get it to Pulisic then hope for the best. A bit like us with Dack in some ways ?.

Lots of positives tonight against fairly weak opposition I would say....

• Like 2