BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The ball was out on the wing, which is where I presume the ref was looking, and the pull back happened on about the penalty spot. There’s a chance the ref did see it, but at best he could only have seen the incident in his peripheral vision and therefore would have been guessing. 

I really don’t see what’s wrong with giving the ref another chance to see things that he has missed - in this incident, once he had seen the replay he made his decision very quickly - indicating that he wasn’t in any doubt and, had he seen it initially, he would have blown there and then. 

It’s only a issue because it’s gone against us - had the same decision been reached at the other end, saving us from a defeat instead of preventing a win, then I wager the tone on here (and in the commentary) would have been very different and we’d all be saying what a good thing VAR is. 

• Like 1

The Nations League was a success. That is a rare accomplishment for UEFA.

It's still friendlies but all teams tried to win.

I thought that England were second best against Holland yet England only lost due to carelessness. If the current Dutch side had van Persie or van Nistelrooy they'd be world champs.

I think that VAR got both decisions wrong against England. I don't think that Lingard was offside, and like Stuart I think that the Swiss defender made a meal of the contact, which occurred way before (in VAR time) the header hit the bar.

VAR has good and bad, it is here to stay and will hopefully improve.

Although England were poor on Thursday, and missed a hat full of chances yesterday I think that Southgate still has the team improving. Going far at next year's Euro's is a real possibility.

Kyle Walker's days are numbered. He was great in Russia last year but has regressed. Alexander-Arnold may not be as quick but he is a better defender, and is wonderful going forward. Wan-Bissaka is also very promising, but not as good an attacker as Alexander-Arnold.

If Stones plays every week next season he will return to his 2018 form, but Gomez looks the part.  

Central midfield is still a worry. Dier is limited. Henderson is all action but his style is not the Frenkie de Jong type international football needs. Winks? I've not seen enough of him to comment. Foden is talked about but will he get a game at City? Chelsea are looking for another new manager. Hopefully whoever it is will play Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi every week when they come back from their injuries.

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Central midfield is still a worry. Dier is limited. Henderson is all action but his style is not the Frenkie de Jong type international football needs. Winks? I've not seen enough of him to comment. Foden is talked about but will he get a game at City? Chelsea are looking for another new manager. Hopefully whoever it is will play Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi every week when they come back from their injuries.

Winks might not be top drawer (he was one of the better players in a champs league final so he must be alright) but if we want to play out from the back then he's by far the best midfielder at picking the ball up from the centre backs, and thats what we failed to do on Thursday. The cb's got the ball down and looked up but the midfield didn't provide them with enough options. Though we looked a lot better when Henderson came on for Delph too, Delph is a handy player to have around but can't play cm against top level opponents. Dier is a very limited player, Rice looks like he has some potential, Loftus-Cheek needs to stay fit and start regularly but is talented, 

Going even further forward then Foden as one of the 3 is the hope, just got to hope he starts more games for city next year.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Winks might not be top drawer (he was one of the better players in a champs league final so he must be alright) but if we want to play out from the back then he's by far the best midfielder at picking the ball up from the centre backs, and thats what we failed to do on Thursday. The cb's got the ball down and looked up but the midfield didn't provide them with enough options. Though we looked a lot better when Henderson came on for Delph too, Delph is a handy player to have around but can't play cm against top level opponents. Dier is a very limited player, Rice looks like he has some potential, Loftus-Cheek needs to stay fit and start regularly but is talented, 

Going even further forward then Foden as one of the 3 is the hope, just got to hope he starts more games for city next year.

Henderson is still underrated even after captaining his team to the Champions League. Rice has impressed in the Prem but especially in that Holland game he went missing rather than as you say making an option to play the ball into midfield, Delph isnt good enough, Winks will be key as will Maddison having played under Rodgers at Leicester in a midfield 3 rather than as a 10. As soon as Henderson came on it was noticeable that he was available so much more often to take the ball on the half turn.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

England look pretty crap in defence.

I wonder if Neville has been talking to Southgate too much.

The ref has been terrible, she reminds of The Championship. Bottled the blatant penalty so as not to upset Cameroon. Awwww bless.

The best way to describe that game is that England showed a lack of class in defence and Cameroon showed their complete lack of class in all aspects.

If England don't improve then Norway will have an easy route into the semis.

Still, job done! Luckily no England players got smashed and ultimately they showed the kind of discipline and restraint that I can't imagine some of the men's team would be capable of.

Edited by Husky

4 minutes ago, Husky said:

The best way to describe that game is that England showed a lack of class in defence and Cameroon showed their complete lack of class in all aspects.

If England don't improve then Norway will have an easy route into the semis.

Still, job done! And luckily no England players got smashed.

Dunno that ankle breaker on Houghton at the end could still come back to haunt us.

Disgraceful conduct from Cameroon all game. 

I’ll give our girls the benefit of the doubt having to play in such difficult and weird circumstances - because on that showing we desperately need to get better at the back or will be home by the end of the week.

Fantastic here from PNev though.

What is it about those magic waistcoats that they can even make Phil Neville likeable?

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

England were poor today. I know the circumstances weren't ideal but our decision making was terrible. How many times did we persist in playing little complicated triangles when a simple pass out wide was on. Why do we insist on trying to walk the ball into the goal instead of having a shot ?  If Cameroon's goal would have stood I could see us really struggling, we allowed Cameroons to out muscle us at times.  We'll need to be 100 % better to beat Norway. I watched the USA women the other night against Sweden and they're 4 goals better than England on current form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Was out for the first half, but it kicked off with that offside 'goal'. England look pretty crap in defence.

It kicked off before that with the back pass decision and then the " offside " England goal. Both decisions were correct, the England player was just on side and the Cameroons goalie should have walloped the back pass instead of picking the ball up. After the goal it was mayhem for about 5 minutes at least, I thought for a while that the Cameroons were going to walk off completely. 

I also thought the ref had a game to forget all in all. Missed the elbow in the boat race early on, allowed herself to be barged over by a player ( you'd get about 12 games for that in Rugby League ) , bottled the pen near the end as well as the red card for the quitener out by the touchline in time added on. She should be on the plane home tonight.

3 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Cameroon were a disgrace to the sport. They went completely mental, gobbing on people, elbowing, shouting at injured players. That number 7 should have been sent off along with the player who stamped on our player's ankle.

And well done Phil for being so direct and honest about the game.

He's a grade A hypocrite.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Yeah that pretty much sums it up in 6 words. 

You know, you could always not be obsessed with hating everyone that's ever been associated with Manchester United?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I also thought the ref had a game to forget all in all. Missed the elbow in the boat race early on, allowed herself to be barged over by a player ( you'd get about 12 games for that in Rugby League ) , bottled the pen near the end as well as the red card for the quitener out by the touchline in time added on. She should be on the plane home tonight.

There was a spitting incident earlier too, gobbed all over our player's arm. How could there not be a sending off for the stamp? How could a ref look at the VAR and not give a red card for that? Reckon she was scared to.

Some of those Cameroon players were bloody mental, one in particular. Incredible.