BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

This weekend heard on the radio  Jill Scott is England’s most capped player. Fair enough. But the sentence finished with beating peter Shiltons record. I nearly exploded. As if stats are gender neutral. Still winding me up thinking about it.

Then once I’d composed myself someone called Marta became Brazil's top goalscorer in world cups, ahead of Ronaldo and Pele. And could go past klose for all time record.

It’s just not same. Take it for what it is non league amateur football but not being sexist or a misogynist...just objectively it’s shite. 

• Like 4

Calm down guys. It's England in the World Cup, which is a whole lot better than watching that African nations kick fest crap or that Messi joke testimonial tournament with Qatar and Japan.

England simply have to change their penalty taker though. Everyone knew where that was going - even the keeper stood slightly to her left to give her that gap. She's fluffed 3 in the tournament now (albeit one went in).

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

This weekend heard on the radio  Jill Scott is England’s most capped player. Fair enough. But the sentence finished with beating peter Shiltons record. I nearly exploded. As if stats are gender neutral. Still winding me up thinking about it.

Then once I’d composed myself someone called Marta became Brazil's top goalscorer in world cups, ahead of Ronaldo and Pele. And could go past klose for all time record.

It’s just not same. Take it for what it is non league amateur football but not being sexist or a misogynist...just objectively it’s shite. 

Utter feminist liberalist media claptrap.

Should we include Wayne Rooney’s Under 15s and U17s goals as part of his overall record? 

Shilton played 13 times for England C team, taking his total to 138 games. I expect he will have some schoolboy caps too.

They need to promote the women’s game, not promote it as “the game”, and stop trying to socially engineer us.

• Like 3

Heaven forbid if England Women win their version of the World Cup. We are going to have “it’s the same as 1966” rammed down our throats for at least a week and a half until everyone forgets about women’s football again.

The irony is that the England women’s team is benefiting from the vacuum caused by football no longer being shown on terrestrial TV.

• Like 5

It’s the summer. Its football Ish. It’s on tv. People will watch. I’ve watched. But for me this is up there with televised sporting non events such as the boat race or the London marathon. And at least in the London marathon there’s fancy dress rhinos.  

• Like 2

You lot seem to like talking about it to say you’re not interested and don’t like it...

I enjoy watching football, not just watching men play football.

I think it would be a fantastic achievement, and I’m getting quietly confident...

Need to keep concentration in a shaky defence but going forwards we’ve been electric at times.

Should be a cracker of a semi whoever it’s against.

5-4 England or something daft.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 4

Yes, the standard has definitely got better and it's good to watch - which wasn't the case a few years ago. Lucky Phil Neville - he gets to hug all the players after the matches, including the opposition. 

• Like 1

Good luck to them, but the ‘most caps’ thing is very disingenuous.

For example Tiger Woods won his 15th major at The Masters, But the talk was him being three behind Jack Nicklaus, not they he’d just equalled the record of Patty Berg (most successful woman). And quite right too as they are separately organised competitions.

The fact that all of this is being discussed in a thread called ‘England’ is disingenuous.

I don’t want to click on media (click bait) links that say “England player achieves record caps/goals” and find out that they mean England Women.

I wonder how long it will be before they kill the sport completely by forcing mixed teams on us at the top level?

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The fact that all of this is being discussed in a thread called ‘England’ is disingenuous.

I don’t want to click on media (click bait) links that say “England player achieves record caps/goals” and find out that they mean England Women.

I wonder how long it will be before they kill the sport completely by forcing mixed teams on us at the top level?

I have fallen for that trick a few times.

Stats comparison is meaningless unless contestants are playing against each other in the same competition or league,

When women play men at the same sport then fair enough.

Having said that I'm enjoying and impressed with WWC 2019

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I have fallen for that trick a few times.

Stats comparison is meaningless unless contestants are playing against each other in the same competition or league,

When women play men at the same sport then fair enough.

Having said that I'm enjoying and impressed with WWC 2019

It’s a good point. The only way they could be compared equally is if a women’s team competed in a men’s league. If they can compete then fair enough.

Nothing wrong with there being a WWC, I’d just prefer that the first W was celebrated rather than trying to pretend that it’s just another World Cup.

When I was a kid we used to play mixed sex until 11. The lads would go off and play on full sized pitches and the girls would either join Wigan athletic ladies if they where good enough or quit.

we used to play a pre season friendly against the Wigan ladies team and there wasn’t much in it.

i assume the women break away at that age due to the physicality aspect as young lads get older.

it got me thinking. Michael Owen against Chris samba is at a size and strength disadvantage as is Defoe and anyone trying to mark akinfenwa. They combat that with speed, skill etc.

so my question is should women not be aloud to play against men due to physicality and how good would a woman have to be for her to be even considered to play in a mans team.

if there was a women as good as messi, would people be for or against her playing in a mans league and how long is it going to be before this becomes a real possibility/ talking point.

Not to long ago the talk of female commentators, pundits, linesman and referees would have seemed ludicrous . Now the vast majority wouldn’t even notice, especially as the younger generation haven’t known any other way (which is a good thing imo) . Emma Hayes recently got mentioned for an interview for the Chelsea job and the way the world is changing I was just curious as to what’s people thought. 

If a woman can hold her own against men, should or shouldn’t she be aloud to play in the men’s game ?

• Like 3

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

When I was a kid we used to play mixed sex until 11. The lads would go off and play on full sized pitches and the girls would either join Wigan athletic ladies if they where good enough or quit.

we used to play a pre season friendly against the Wigan ladies team and there wasn’t much in it.

i assume the women break away at that age due to the physicality aspect as young lads get older.

it got me thinking. Michael Owen against Chris samba is at a size and strength disadvantage as is Defoe and anyone trying to mark akinfenwa. They combat that with speed, skill etc.

so my question is should women not be aloud to play against men due to physicality and how good would a woman have to be for her to be even considered to play in a mans team.

if there was a women as good as messi, would people be for or against her playing in a mans league and how long is it going to be before this becomes a real possibility/ talking point.

Not to long ago the talk of female commentators, pundits, linesman and referees would have seemed ludicrous . Now the vast majority wouldn’t even notice, especially as the younger generation haven’t known any other way (which is a good thing imo) . Emma Hayes recently got mentioned for an interview for the Chelsea job and the way the world is changing I was just curious as to what’s people thought. 

If a woman can hold her own against men, should or shouldn’t she be aloud to play in the men’s game ?

But this would then have to be the same in all sports. How about athletics? Any woman that can run as fast as Usain Bolt could? Rugby? Boxing? 

We are two fundamentally different genders but physically men are bigger and stronger. Snooker, darts or motoracing, sports that dont have too much physicality, sure, but women as much as it pains me to say, will never be able to compete in physical orientated sports to the same level as men.  

• Like 1

Different game but still recognisably football. Been very impressed by technical skills and some of the passing has been breathtaking- both good and awful.

England v tonight's winners could go any direction including humiliating defeat and thumping victory.

England can make Rovers midfield and defence look super switched on and aware but the attack when it clicks can destroy any defense in the women's game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Different game but still recognisably football. Been very impressed by technical skills and some of the passing has been breathtaking- both good and awful.

That's my take on it too. Men and women's football although they look the same are fundamentally different. Men and women will never be able to play together. The strength and speed difference is too much.

Living in the USA I've seen plenty of women's football. About 20 years ago I was a counsellor at a big university's football camp. Their women's team was, and still is, one of the best in the country. Every night we had a counsellors kick about. There were enough players for 11 a side made up from the university's men's team (18-22 year old lads - decent players - think academy level), a couple of coaches, and a few of the women's team.

The women, as good as they were in their own game, were completely outmatched. It wasn't fair on them. They tried their hardest but got nowhere.

• Backroom
15 hours ago, Husky said:

Calm down guys. It's England in the World Cup, which is a whole lot better than watching that African nations kick fest.....

This.

I feel myself being critical of some of the poor skills on show by some of the women's teams and then I flick over to the Africa C Of N.....

Jesus Christ some of it is pitiful. I swear every time I tune in some donkey defender or DM is trying to crack a shot from 40 yards out, which always ends up in the top tier of an empty stand. Embarrassing. 

• Like 1

Some fragile masculinity on show here! Yeah, the women's game is not like watching Man City's men's team in full flight, but half the teams are amateurs and completely neglected by their county's FA. It's only turned full time professional in this country fairly recently, so it'll take time for it to match the men's competition in terms of skill. The games I've seen have been much more watchable than a lot of Premier league bore fests.

• Like 5

I played alongside some very good strikers in my time in the amateur game. But the best of them all was a lady called Anne Smith (nee Morris). She ended up playing ‘pro’ women’s football as far as I know (30 years or more ago)

• Like 1

Mixing records with the men's game is silly.  As for the ladies game, it's a little slow, a little sloppy and a little "weak" but these women are commited.  No faking no rolling around no diving.  I am watching and am enjoying it and after all isn't that what counts.  Giving me my football fix to a tolerable level.

Both these teams USA and France look to be better than England so I think next round is as far as we go.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1