BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

23 million? Last night? That’s some increase from the 7 million that watched the quarters...

Official figures have now been released and viewing figures peaked at 11.7 million, while not 23 million it is still phenomenal.  For reference the men's semi final peaked at 26.6 million last year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yet another tale of heroic English failure. Good but always not quite good enough. I've been watching it for 60 years and it's depressing. No doubt there'll be another screw-up in the cricket tomorrow. 

The US played a high pressing game and forced England into errors - it was like watching Guardiola's City team.  The penalty (which wasn't) was awful.

Worst of all was Pearce's "commentary".  I turned the sound off and it was far more enjoyable

I hate Pearce's commentating on any football match,i always put the game on mute when i'm watching a game hes commentating on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

23m seems high, is that official.

Did you not see the England v Cameroon.....8 extra minutes because of whingeing and moaning......

I don't buy your argument 

Apologies I thought I heard 23m mentioned on TV last night. Apparently the peak audience was 11.7m being 50% of the available audience and the largest for ANY TV programme in 2019 to date.

No I didn't see England v Cameroon. You don't have to accept my argument, I don't mind. Everyone I've spoken to thinks the WWC has been a wonderful advert for the women's game and puts male players to shame. I simply think the men's game is shit. Other than Rovers I rarely watch it because I am sick to death of watching cheating multi-millionaires denying the paying fan a full 90 minutes of entertaining and honest football.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think we can all agree that the example you give is an exceptional one, and most of the added on time in the other games has been as a result of normal stoppages plus VAR. 

The USA defender who was penalised for the ‘penalty’ last night got booked for the ‘foul’. Given the nature of the decision and the state of the game at that point, I defy anyone to simply nod to the referee on receipt of that card, in the way that she did. If I were her captain or manager I would be giving her a pat on the back for that. Could you imagine a male professional footballer reacting to that decision in that way? That’s the sort of example that is more representative of the WWC, not the ridiculous Cameroonian behaviour.

Exactly. Disciplined and honest players.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul said:

Apologies I thought I heard 23m mentioned on TV last night. Apparently the peak audience was 11.7m being 50% of the available audience and the largest for ANY TV programme in 2019 to date.

No I didn't see England v Cameroon. You don't have to accept my argument, I don't mind. Everyone I've spoken to thinks the WWC has been a wonderful advert for the women's game and puts male players to shame. I simply think the men's game is shit. Other than Rovers I rarely watch it because I am sick to death of watching cheating multi-millionaires denying the paying fan a full 90 minutes of entertaining and honest football.

I'm with you.

15 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They need to seriously revisit VAR before they unleash it on the wider world.

How that White goal was offside is beyond me. Clear and obvious was the remit. That was neither.

Yep, VAR needs some refining. The pen was given after loads of slow mo repeats. White was never offside. The same happened to Lingard against the Dutch the other week. I thought that there had to be daylight to give a decision.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I must say, I have noticed far less diving in the womens game. Which is kind of funny. Some of the "men" playing now should be ashamed. 

Not last night. The USA were trying all sorts of tricks. I don't think that the sending off was deserved. 

USA will walk the final. I'll not be watching. Unlike the last World Cup there isn't unanimous support for the women's team over here. Rapinoe angered Trump fans. Others got mad at them tonking Thailand, and more simply have a hatred for football so won't watch.

I'm not gonna watch something because it's on terrestrial Tv in this day and age. I hardly watch any men's football so I'm hardly gonna spend time watching a bunch of women. Where was the support when Rovers Ladies were denied a deserved promotion by Man United many of whom's players are probably in Neville's squad. Granted that sounds hypocritical because I couldn't have cared less about the Rovers women's team beforehand but at least that's honest. These people watching this won't care anymore in 2 weeks than they did after watching synchronised swimming for about 5 minutes in 2012. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

I'm not gonna watch something because it's on terrestrial Tv in this day and age. I hardly watch any men's football so I'm hardly gonna spend time watching a bunch of women. Where was the support when Rovers Ladies were denied a deserved promotion by Man United many of whom's players are probably in Neville's squad. Granted that sounds hypocritical because I couldn't have cared less about the Rovers women's team beforehand but at least that's honest. These people watching this won't care anymore in 2 weeks than they did after watching synchronised swimming for about 5 minutes in 2012. 

I ‘kind of’ see where you’re coming from Vinjay, but as someone posted earlier it was a bit of a throwback to the less cynical football that many of us were brought up on. 

Hope you are well by the way.

20 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Nonsense.

Women's football is on the rise;  there's more money coming into the women's game - pointing to rising standards as players and coaching improves.

Nearly 12m people watched on TV last night.  You missed out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

stop being so parochial

19 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

As has been said before, these offside decisions show that the problem is with the rule, and not with VAR.

If anything, it proves that the technology works.

By the book, that was the correct decision.

Still, absolutely bollocks.

You're right, the rule needs changing. Perhaps it's time to get rid of the offside rule all together. That would help clear things up. Surely the game needs more open play goals?

VAR use in it's current state is in danger of making the game even staler than it already is - with less open play goals - no live goal celebrations and many more penalty kicks.

Just now, Husky said:

You're right, the rule needs changing. Perhaps it's time to get rid of the offside rule all together. That would help clear things up. Surely the game needs more open play goals?

VAR use in it's current state is in danger of making the game even staler than it already is - with less open play goals - no live goal celebrations and many more penalty kicks.

The offside rule was designed to stop forwards just standing in the box waiting for the ball and allowed for more exciting matches with timing being far more important.

We know have a law of the game that has all the enjoyment of a speed camera.

Being offside by a finger nail is not on the spirit of what was trying to be achieved and it now means that referees will defer every goal that isn’t a direct shot from behind play to a second referee. Don’t celebrate a goal until it has been triple checked.

VAR isn’t the problem, it’s application is.

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The tea sipping celebration was a bit childish - and the newspapers even worse. Hope we stuff them next time

Image result for tea party new york post

Looks more like she's pretending to smoke a joint tbf ?

• Like 1

Looking back I can see why Neville flopped in Spain. You're going into the biggest game ever and you change the system of playing from the one that has got you there in the first place. Parris who's a wide player gets to play in a sort of No10 role where she's never played before and as a consequence never sees the ball. We revert to Plan A after an hour and we're all over them like rash. Taxi for Phil ?

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking back I can see why Neville flopped in Spain. You're going into the biggest game ever and you change the system of playing from the one that has got you there in the first place. Parris who's a wide player gets to play in a sort of No10 role where she's never played before and as a consequence never sees the ball. We revert to Plan A after an hour and we're all over them like rash. Taxi for Phil ?

Its the same worrying about the opposition instead of letting them worry about you thought process. Thing is, when you start looking to stop a good team, you often weaken your own.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 23:22, Mike E said:

Looks more like she's pretending to smoke a joint tbf ?

Yep! It looks more like a homage to the Herb God and the Californian cannabis laws.

Edited by Husky