BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 14/10/2019 at 15:22, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Disgraceful scenes in Sofia, Nazi salutes, monkey chants. When will UEFA actually do something drastic. Can see the game being abandoned. 

Ah yes good old EUFA England fans sing.a song about preffering to be like Rovers owners than Turkish and are threatened with expulsion, not particularly racist.  Then this disgusting behaviour goes on and probably a.slap on the pee pee.

13 hours ago, USABlue said:

Ah yes good old EUFA England fans sing.a song about preffering to be like Rovers owners than Turkish and are threatened with expulsion, not particularly racist.  Then this disgusting behaviour goes on and probably a.slap on the pee pee.

I'd suggest the song you're refering to could be classed as fairly racist.

Edited by LeftWinger
Spelling corrected
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let's just see how long Southgate stays in the job.

This is the key question.

Minimum requirement at the Euros will be Quarter Finals, expectation Semis, Stretch is the Final.

He also needs to beat everyone who is not tier one (Belgium, France, Portugal, Spain).

Will he get sacked if we lose in the quarter finals to France? Probably not. If we lose to Switzerland (despite them being a good side). Probably yes.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If we lose to Switzerland (despite them being a good side). Probably yes.

Hmmm, that would definitely represent a poor tournament, but I don’t think he would actually. Let’s not forget Hodgson was allowed to stumble into Euro 2016 and preside over the Iceland shambles despite England getting dumped out of the 2014 World Cup with one point from three group games.

He’s got a lot of credit in the bank from the World Cup last year and ticks a few other boxes too so I’d say he’s probably pretty bulletproof unless there’s a disaster like that Iceland game.

On 14/10/2019 at 22:49, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I could have gone to that game but I chose to go to Brazil versus Hungary instead. I was hoping to see Pele play but he was rested.

1966 at Goodison. I was there in the pouring rain watching Hungary beat a sorry-looking Brazil side. Florian Albert was the Hungarian centre forward who kept tracking back, winning the ball and ploughing forward wreaking havoc in the Brazil defence.What a great game!

On 14/10/2019 at 23:22, skous18 said:

Didn’t even watch the match tonight. Were there any real racist chants and shouts or was it just ordinary boo-ing, as this is something quite normal in Eastern Europe and all players get it, not just the dark skinned ones?

I watched it on TV and it sounded like booing whenever Rashford got the ball. Then there were boos again when Sterling got the ball. Other players didn't get it. Must have been monkey chants. Then the cameras showed a group of people dressed the same in black, with open mouths, and giving nazi salutes. They had obviously been allowed into the ground and they had a banner. The authorities were very weak IMO for allowing this.

Looks like the Bulgars are dealing seriously with it, though.

11 hours ago, bazza said:

1966 at Goodison. I was there in the pouring rain watching Hungary beat a sorry-looking Brazil side. Florian Albert was the Hungarian centre forward who kept tracking back, winning the ball and ploughing forward wreaking havoc in the Brazil defence.What a great game!

I watched it on TV and it sounded like booing whenever Rashford got the ball. Then there were boos again when Sterling got the ball. Other players didn't get it. Must have been monkey chants. Then the cameras showed a group of people dressed the same in black, with open mouths, and giving nazi salutes. They had obviously been allowed into the ground and they had a banner. The authorities were very weak IMO for allowing this.

Looks like the Bulgars are dealing seriously with it, though.

I'd just got into the ground when Bene scored the first goal for Hungary. The volleyed goal Farkas scored later on was one of the goals of the tournament.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2019 at 09:39, arbitro said:

I can't help thinking that the England team walking off and not coming back would have made a much stronger statement (which is what they said they would do). That for me would have put pressure firmly on UEFA to take really strong action rather than the piddling little fines and part ground closures that they think will cure this disease. It's simple for me, Bulgaria should be banned from the next World Cup.

Too busy trying to rape clubs of ambition than tackling something as minor as racism. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Raheem Sterling won't play against Montenegro. He's been dropped for allegedly trying to get Joe Gomez in a headlock after reporting for England duty. It happened almost as soon as he arrived at St. Georges Park.

Media reports state that although Sterling smoothed it over with Gomez after the game he managed to rile himself up after reading social media reactions to the confrontation. 

He supposedly apologised to Gomez and the rest of the team/staff after the altercation but Southgate had already made his mind up to drop him.

This could get tricky. Southgate has to show that he can stop this dead. Any simmering could could problems further down the road. 

8 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Raheem Sterling won't play against Montenegro. He's been dropped for allegedly trying to get Joe Gomez in a headlock after reporting for England duty. It happened almost as soon as he arrived at St. Georges Park.

Media reports state that although Sterling smoothed it over with Gomez after the game he managed to rile himself up after reading social media reactions to the confrontation. 

He supposedly apologised to Gomez and the rest of the team/staff after the altercation but Southgate had already made his mind up to drop him.

This could get tricky. Southgate has to show that he can stop this dead. Any simmering could could problems further down the road. 

How is he going to pull the race card out on this one? Maybe he is just a tosser after all? Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Husky said:

How is he going to pull the race card out on this one? Maybe he is just a tosser after all? Hmmmmm.

I've always thought Sterling was a complete knob. Yet the way he's been portrayed in the media of late you 'd think he was Mother Theresa and Gandhi rolled into one.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I've always thought Sterling was a complete knob. Yet the way he's been portrayed in the media of late you 'd think he was Mother Theresa and Gandhi rolled into one.

I can't see what Sterling has done to be thought "a complete knob". In my view he has rightly been praised for the mature and decent way in which he has conducted himself when being on the receiving end of racist abuse.

• Like 4

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I can't see what Sterling has done to be thought "a complete knob". In my view he has rightly been praised for the mature and decent way in which he has conducted himself when being on the receiving end of racist abuse.

Taking nitrous oxide, missing a plane and turning up for England duty a day late, having a machine gun tattooed on his leg and then complaining about the coverage when it caused a furore in the Press, complaining in general that he's been singled out for unfair attention off the media and now this latest incident with Gomez.

He's extremely high maintenance off the pitch to say the least.Thank God Gomez wasn't white.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Taking nitrous oxide, missing a plane and turning up for England duty a day late, having a machine gun tattooed on his leg and then complaining about the coverage when it caused a furore in the Press, complaining in general that he's been singled out for unfair attention off the media and now this latest incident with Gomez.

He's extremely high maintenance off the pitch to say the least.Thank God Gomez wasn't white.

But he's turned himself round though. This latest incident looks like something that goes on in training all the time - despite what some supporters might say footballers generally do care about what happens on the pitch and from time to time it goes just a bit too far.

Regarding Sterling generally there is evidence that he has been on the receiving end of some unpleasant reporting in the press which looks to have a racial element - buys a property so his mother can have somewhere nice to live and gets slammed for having a big time attitude - meanwhile a white player does the same thing and gets praised.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

But he's turned himself round though. This latest incident looks like something that goes on in training all the time - despite what some supporters might say footballers generally do care about what happens on the pitch and from time to time it goes just a bit too far.

Regarding Sterling generally there is evidence that he has been on the receiving end of some unpleasant reporting in the press which looks to have a racial element - buys a property so his mother can have somewhere nice to live and gets slammed for having a big time attitude - meanwhile a white player does the same thing and gets praised.

Possibly.

Other players of all types of background and ethnicity seem to manage without being involved in these sorts of incidents on a regular basis though.

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How many footballers aren't? Especially those under 30.

I also disagree with your characterisation of him. He's been given all sorts of grief by the press. I think that he's handled himself quite well.

He's still relatively young and has been playing first team football since he was 17. He's had to do a lot of growing up in the spotlight.

As mashed potatoes points out he's had some bad press.

I seem to remember on his way to training a while back that he was set on and racially abused by a bloke because said bloke's girlfriend said "look, that's Sterling".  

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Possibly.

Other players of all types of background and ethnicity seem to manage without being involved in these sorts of incidents on a regular basis though.

I think the point is that any minor slip ups for him are magnified and in my opinion that magnification in the press stems from his race. So it's no wonder you say other players manage to not get involved in these incidents as they don't have the press trying to hang them out to dry all the time.

With this incident all it shows to me is that he really cares. It's no big deal and I'd rather a player be a sore loser and take things too far than just go through the motions picking up their salary. 

Can't say Southgate has dealt with this particularly well by saying Sterling will not be considered for selection on Thursday(?) but has allowed him to stay with the squad. 

There's two ways of dealing with this, either get the two players to sort it out in private and subsequently if both are happy, issue a statement to that effect, or if you feel such behaviour isn't acceptable and you need to make an example and it's only fair on Gomez who imay well have been a completely innocent party then send Sterling home altogether. Don't still have him hanging about the squad, what Southgate has done is neither one thing nor the other

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

........and he's also a brilliant footballer who gets better every season. England are lucky to have him

Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Barcelona or Real Madrid eventually. 

The race comment is silly, Rev

• Like 3

I see that young Raheem trotted out the familiar "I'm sorry I used violence, that's not who I am" line which is always used when a person loses their temper and assaults another. 

Unfortunately, actions speak louder than words and I'm afraid that that is exactly what he is. Behind his very carefully cultivated and heavily managed public persona, Sterling has proved himself capable of unprovoked violence against a colleague.

In many, many other walks of life this would be considered a matter for the police. 

The victim is apparently left with a cut around the eye and if that was my son I wouldn't be happy at all. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 1