BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 minutes ago, Husky said:

So, I've just put it through the Woganator.

England to lose in the first knock-out stage to Portugal/France/Germany. ?

We will lose on penalties to the Germans in the semi-final at Wembley, Southgate missing the twelfth penalty, as it was 11-11, and the managers had to decide it.

I have to say that was the worst draw I've even seen for anything.

Even the commentator and the people in the studio hardly had any clue what was going on. They should have at least got Jonathan Pearce to do Robot Wars style commentary to distract everyone and maybe play some animations of the Belgians whining. 

We all know the format is crap in 2020. If UEFA really do want to 'bring it to the fans' they may as well play testimonial games and give everyone a winners medal. There is no real group of death as such as four out of the six group's 3rd placed teams also qualify. THAT SUCKS!

On 30/11/2019 at 19:11, Husky said:

Turkey? They aren't even European.

Are Saudi Arabia in this time?

The rules relate to countries having territory inside Europe.

The part of Turkey west of the Bosporous is actually bigger than Belgium.

Kazakkstan similarly has a tiny part west of the Caspian so technically in Europe.

Russia of course is Europe's largest country... and Asia's largest country also.

Until 1810, Malta was considered part of Africa but a British Act of Parliament deemed it to be European.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, philipl said:

The rules relate to countries having territory inside Europe.

The part of Turkey west of the Bosporous is actually bigger than Belgium.

Kazakkstan similarly has a tiny part west of the Caspian so technically in Europe.

Russia of course is Europe's largest country... and Asia's largest country also.

Until 1810, Malta was considered part of Africa but a British Act of Parliament deemed it to be European.

What about Israel?

• 1 month later...

A question for the England fans amongst us.

Harry Kane's annual injury is upon us. His latest one looks more serious than his usual ankle issues. He did his hamstring and had to have surgery. Initial reports had him out until April, but yesterday Mourinho was a little more vague saying that he could miss the Euros.

Should Southgate write him off for the summer? Even if he does come back in April it will take him a while to get fit. He is also one who usually starts slowly. He was similarly out last spring, came back for the Champs league final and played like a chump.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Harry Kane's annual injury is upon us. His latest one looks more serious than his usual ankle issues. He did his hamstring and had to have surgery. Initial reports had him out until April, but yesterday Mourinho was a little more vague saying that he could miss the Euros.

Should Southgate write him off for the summer? Even if he does come back in April it will take him a while to get fit. He is also one who usually starts slowly. He was similarly out last spring, came back for the Champs league final and played like a chump.

Too early to write him off completely but he should start having a backup plan. 

Edited by JacknOry

On 14/01/2020 at 13:58, speeeeeeedie said:

It feels like that for virtually every tournament England's 'star' player is injured beforehand and we are all supposed to pray that he's fit for the finals. He's then not properly match fit but gets played anyway and is useless resulting in England effectively playing with 10 men. Rinse and repeat.  Essentially, if Kane is physically fit (not injured) I think he will be a long way off match fit and shouldn't play in the tournament.  Unless he is back and playing effectively for a reasonable time before the finals start.

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:38, JacknOry said:

Too early to write him off completely but he should start having a backup plan. 

Rashford, Sterling, and Sancho as a front 3 will give teams kittens. They may need to stay on their feet though as they aren't the best at penalties, something that Kane is very good at.

32 minutes ago, DanLad said:

It feels like that for virtually every tournament England's 'star' player is injured beforehand and we are all supposed to pray that he's fit for the finals. He's then not properly match fit but gets played anyway and is useless resulting in England effectively playing with 10 men. Rinse and repeat.  Essentially, if Kane is physically fit (not injured) I think he will be a long way off match fit and shouldn't play in the tournament.  Unless he is back and playing effectively for a reasonable time before the finals start.

I don't think that Kane will be anywhere near match fit. He'll get the best treatment and rehab that money can buy but I don't think that there will be enough games for him to play in. That's if he comes back in April. He won't be playing matches until late April/early May. The Prem finishes mid May. He wasn't fit for the CL final last year and was very poor.

It is part of the narrative of England at tournaments from the golden generation on. It always struck me that other nations didn't have the same problems - they may have done but I didn't notice.

I seem to remember Japan/Korea 2002 being particularly bad. It was the era of the metatarsal injury.

I think that Southgate would have played Ox and Gomez in Russia too if they would have been fit. He didn't trust Walker. Ox was flying. He'd have been ahead of Lingard.

I don't think we're really dependent on key players like we were 15 years ago. Sohthgates built a team where players rotate in and out. Sterling, Sancho, Rashford, Vardy (assuming he comes back) is a great set of strikers.

No one's really irreplaceable anymore.

I think we're in the top nine or so teams in Europe. France, England, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Croatia, Portugal, Germany, Belgium. With, imo, France a cut above everyone else. So based on that I'd give England about a 10% chance of winning it. But the favourites, France, I would only say a 30% chance. 

Absolutely wide open. Should be great entertainment.