BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An Assessment of Player performance v Bristol City

On 04/09/2018 at 12:47, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is Williams all that much better defensively? He's never really filled me with confidence and tends to get skinned quite a lot.

In terms of being a wing back you'd prefer to have Bell. He can beat a man, cross a ball and has the pace to get back in. You are right though - with a very attack minded Palmer he looked exposed. Didn't he get player of the year in league 1 after spending most of it in the wing-back position as part of a back 5? You can tell he's more comfortable further forward.

There's always little moments in a game like that for every player. I'm talking generally. He doesn't show near enough for a modern full back in my opinion.

Besides, anyway, I hope you agree with the fact that in order for Tony's plan of rebuilding a team challenging for promotion left back/centre back is a position to strengthen!

Well I feel less tense with the basics when Williams is defending + he has more of the “put it all in” mentality for me - Bell strikes me as someone not quite tuned to work as hard, but silkier, faster and a better final ball. It’s a nice choice for me. 

We agree that Bell is more the modern style but does he have the “want” that those top full backs need? Has the technique, the physicality. However, effort level is key for full backs. There’s times when I think Bell looks a bit disinterested, and lax.  

As for Williams - I think we agree he is more basic but I’d go with him behind KP if Dack is back at home to Villa. Otherwise, I’d put Kasey in the hole and stick Conway and Bell down the left.

• Moderation Lead

Fundamentally, I'd rather have Bell over Williams tbh. I always like pace from players in wide areas and Bell has that, whereas Williams obviously doesn't.....

Williams puts more of a shift in, but I think Bell is better going forward and needs to keep up this current run of games in the side. It could smash his confidence to drop him now, just because Lethal Dezzle is back in the fold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Williams would be my choice. He's the better defender, which we need on the side that Mowbray likes to play one of his 'two and half attackers'.

Given how transparently fair Mowbray is, I’d expect him to restore Williams as Bell hasn’t unequivocally earned the shirt while Williams has been injured.

Brought myself to watch the highlights.

We really should have gone in ahead at half time but the second half defending was woeful. 

Bell for 2-1, oh dear Raya letting in 3-1 but everyone in front of him before the strike and EVERYBODY for the 4th- that was just embarrassing. Bristol City are useful but not 4-1 good.

Hopefully gathered all our horrible moments into just one game....

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Brought myself to watch the highlights.

We really should have gone in ahead at half time but the second half defending was woeful. 

Bell for 2-1, oh dear Raya letting in 3-1 but everyone in front of him before the strike and EVERYBODY for the 4th- that was just embarrassing. Bristol City are useful but not 4-1 good.

Hopefully gathered all our horrible moments into just one game....

What about the first one and a silly free kick to concede from Nyambe in a very dangerous spot shouldn't he get a mention, hooked off and rightly so.

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Check Tony's stats, there were far worse players than Nyambe last week. But yet you pick on him again.....

Agree K Hod but this is the start of our downfall and it seems to be missed.   On one of those other disappointments Joe Nuttall, I'd like to be informed the day before a game that if he's in the squad, in that I, don't go and waste my time and energy supporting Rovers with this no hoper potentially playing in my side.

Enjoyed reading Tonyoz stats a great piece of independant work, looking forward to the next one far better than the LT man called Sharpe.

Edited by JAL

1 hour ago, JAL said:

What about the first one and a silly free kick to concede from Nyambe in a very dangerous spot shouldn't he get a mention, hooked off and rightly so.

To tell you the truth, for their free-kick, I thought the Bristol player tried to control the ball and just slipped. It wasn't a foul by Nyambe. My biggest criticism of Nyambe is that he sees himself being doubled up on, but doesn't seem to demand any help.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rigger said:

It wasn't a foul by Nyambe. My biggest criticism of Nyambe is that he sees himself being doubled up on, but doesn't seem to demand any help.

It was a foul by Nyambe and in a dangerous area.

As for your other point rigger think you've just identified that he's also a very poor communicator on the field of play.

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, JAL said:

As for your other point rigger think you've just identified that he's also a very poor communicator on the field of play.

He’s also 20 years old and you’re far too harsh on him on a regular basis and rarely anyone else...

Edited by K-Hod

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

He’s also 20 years old and you’re far too harsh on him on a regular basis and rarely anyone else...

Thought I'd made my thoughts clear on the lack of attacking threat that comes from Samuel and Nuttall.

On Nyambe he was pulled off because Elliasson was beating him hands down.

Edited by JAL

4 hours ago, JAL said:

Why didn't you quote my full post, as I stated there, from my position about thirty yards from the incident, the Bristol player slipped whilst trying and failing to control the ball. The linesman on our left side had a good view of the situation, but judging by the rest of his decisions he must have been briefed to only indicate off-sides and throw-ins. In my opinion the ref got it wrong.

18 minutes ago, JAL said:

Thought I'd made my thoughts clear on the lack of attacking threat that comes from Samuel and Nuttall.

On Nyambe he was pulled off because Elliasson was beating him hands down.

I think he was pulled to try and introduce more attack from midfield. Most of Bristols threat in the second half came down our left side or from Rovers errors.

Edited by rigger
additional comment

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Why didn't you quote my full post, as I stated there, from my position about thirty yards from the incident, the Bristol player slipped whilst trying and failing to control the ball. The linesman on our left side had a good view of the situation, but judging by the rest of his decisions he must have been briefed to only indicate off-sides and throw-ins. In my opinion the ref got it wrong.

Fair enough rigger different viewpoint but i'm with the referee, whom there where no complants with on the day, though you make a great point about Ryan Nyambe's lack of communication on the field of play with his fellow team mates.

Edited by JAL

14 hours ago, JAL said:

Fair enough rigger different viewpoint but i'm with the referee, whom there where no complants with on the day, though you make a great point about Ryan Nyambe's lack of communication on the field of play with his fellow team mates.

Except both sets of fans chanting, "You don't know what your doing".

11 minutes ago, JAL said:

Where the fans closer to the incident than the referee to make this call then.

I was talking about the entire game , not just that one incident. But on his decisions almost 20,000 thought he was wrong. 1 thought he was right. (Admittedly the most influential 1)

20 hours ago, rigger said:

I was talking about the entire game , not just that one incident. But on his decisions almost 20,000 thought he was wrong. 1 thought he was right. (Admittedly the most influential 1)

You mean you think 20000 thought he was wrong, when its you who couldn't be further from the truth.  Taxi for Nyambe !

16 minutes ago, JAL said:

You mean you think 20000 thought he was wrong, when its you who couldn't be further from the truth.  Taxi for Nyambe !

Could you start including the phrases “fake news” and “crooked Hilary” in your posts please JAL? 

55 minutes ago, JAL said:

No as I stated earlier, Both sets of fans where chanting to the ref, "You don't know what you're doing". I would take that as a telling sign that the ref was having a stinker. 

2 hours ago, bob fleming said:

Could you start including the phrases “fake news” and “crooked Hilary” in your posts please JAL? 

?will do Bob ....riggers fake news claims 20000 said so and so.....oh and Nyambe didn't put a foot wrong or something along those lines.