BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Villa - 15th September 2018

OK, so a few days/weeks have passed since we got our 1st spanking of the season, lets hope the lads come into this one fit and raring to go.  Hoping to see the new lad Brererton starting this weekend with Dack not far behind.  When fully fit we have a decent squad, still questions marks for our defense.  Hoping Villa still have another defeat in them before they click into 2nd gear.  

• Like 4

Cant say I fancy us to take anything from this one, I think they will have too much for us going forward. With Bolasie, Abraham and Kodja we could get punished. We've had a decent amount of luck in some of our early games with teams hitting the woodwork, better players like those for Villa would have made those chances count. I know they had a poor result at Sheffield United as did we at Bristol but I think those additions will make the difference.

Certainly take a point right now.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

I don't suppose that it does not hit as hard as we expect, could you recommend any good bars here to watch it in?

Last time I spent bar crawling time in Hong Kong was 1987!

Always been business ever since. Sorry I can't help with current information. 

I'd hope to reach the 20,000 mark for this one however with 3,500 Villa sold as of yesterday, with Category A pricing and a tv game can't see much more than 16-17,000.

Another one of Waggott's massive away followings not looking like materialising.

Not too confident with this one. I get the impression Brereton isnt reay for a start yet, not had much pre season and had a tough time mid week for the England U20s. 

I dont think this is a game where sitting back will help us. I do think well score if we go at them. Hopefully have Dack back. 

Im pretty sure Mowbray will pick an unchanged side apart from Dack but I'd go with this.

Raya

Nyambe   Lenihan  Mulgrew  Bell

Evans  Bennett

Rothwell      Dack    Palmer

Armstrong

Subs. Leut,  Downing, Reed, Travis, Graham, Brereton, Williams

4-2-3-1 - Dack as a false 9

Raya

Nymabe            Lenihan        Mulgrew       Bell

Evans             Reed

Armstrong            Bennett            Rothwell

Dack

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Smallwood, Conway, Palmer, Brereton, Graham

Notes:

We're going to be under the cosh in this so setting us up similar to the brentford game is a good way to go. Vs Brentford Bennett was very effective defensively stopping them playing out from the back, now I don't know if Villa try to play the same way, if so then same again.

Graham to be used as an impact sub

I agree about sitting back. Villa can score and kodja is a real handful. Grealish always has a goal in him and needs the likes of Evans and Bennet to keep him on a lead, however they do seem to concede their fair share so I'd hope mowbray goes straight for the kill. Like most games in this league it's hard to call. We could score four as could they and that's what makes this league the most exciting league to play in. It all boils down to how Tony sets up tactically. Sit back and invite pressure we will be in trouble. Go for it and we can get a positive result. I won't make a prediction (I'm usually way off anyway) but I'm excited to see how we play against one of the bigger teams in this league and see where we are at and what we are really made of. COYB

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

4-2-3-1 - Dack as a false 9

Raya

Nymabe            Lenihan        Mulgrew       Bell

Evans             Reed

Armstrong            Bennett            Rothwell

Dack

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams, Smallwood, Conway, Palmer, Brereton, Graham

Notes:

We're going to be under the cosh in this so setting us up similar to the brentford game is a good way to go. Vs Brentford Bennett was very effective defensively stopping them playing out from the back, now I don't know if Villa try to play the same way, if so then same again.

Graham to be used as an impact sub

Dack is never a number 9 in a million years. Played there v Liverpool and it felt like there was a forcefield stopping us from going into the attacking third.

Round peg in a square hole. Play our best player in his best position.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack is never a number 9 in a million years. Played there v Liverpool and it felt like there was a forcefield stopping us from going into the attacking third.

If we're going to be on the backfoot most of the game Bennett in that position makes us more sound defensively. Nuttall was a passenger in the Brentford game so Dack dropping deep could give us an out ball and get us going on the break.

Obvs not his best position but better than benching him - though maybe after his off the field shtick he deserves to be dropped to the bench.

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

If we're going to be on the backfoot most of the game Bennett in that position makes us more sound defensively. Nuttall was a passenger in the Brentford game so Dack dropping deep could give us an out ball and get us going on the break.

Obvs not his best position but better than benching him - though maybe after his off the field shtick he deserves to be dropped to the bench.

Dack isnt an out ball, if you want an out ball then surely Graham and his terrific hold up skills are the best bet. Then you have Brereton and Armstrong as options of players to try and stretch Villa and to run in behind. Dack looked like a fish out of water against Liverpool, its not a role hes familiar with or suited to.

Our strongest position is the number 10 role in Dack, Palmer and Rothwell, to play a system without one would be crazy.

That said, we cant approach home games with too much overcaution. Against Brentford we were without Dack, Armstrong and Brereton with Graham unable to play the full game, hence the compromised team. 

It's just about balance. Find a way to win the game if we can.

Throwing on too many attack minded players to "go for it" can easily lead to the second half against Bristol. I'd much rather back Mowbray to outthink Bruce over the course of the game and try and keep it tight first half.

These lot have better players than us and a point would be decent all told but it's certainly winnable if we go about it smartly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack isnt an out ball, if you want an out ball then surely Graham and his terrific hold up skills are the best bet. Then you have Brereton and Armstrong as options of players to try and stretch Villa and to run in behind. Dack looked like a fish out of water against Liverpool, its not a role hes familiar with or suited to.

Our strongest position is the number 10 role in Dack, Palmer and Rothwell, to play a system without one would be crazy.

That said, we cant approach home games with too much overcaution. Against Brentford we were without Dack, Armstrong and Brereton with Graham unable to play the full game, hence the compromised team. 

Graham can't move though, he can hold the ball and bring people into play but he's mainly effective when he's not isolated on his own.

To say playing without Palmer, Dack or Rothwell as a 10 is crazy is nonsense considering the Brentford game where both Palmer and Rothwell played out wide.

Think its fair to say Villa aren't anywhere near the level of Liverpool but I take your point about Dack. I've changed my mind i'd go with Brereton up top, Dack on the bench.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He said false 9. I can understand his points he made and the team he selected. 

I thought he was fine against Liverpool in that role. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt be playing Graham in this game but Brereton up front with Armstrong wide right exposing the slowness of their left side of their defence. We have to use Graham from the bench for the 1st 2 games.

Dack in the 10 role will need to be good defensively aswell as attacking wise. Wouldnt surprise me if Bruce man mark him tbh. 

3 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

It's just about balance. Find a way to win the game if we can.

Throwing on too many attack minded players to "go for it" can easily lead to the second half against Bristol. I'd much rather back Mowbray to outthink Bruce over the course of the game and try and keep it tight first half.

These lot have better players than us and a point would be decent all told but it's certainly winnable if we go about it smartly.

I wouldnt say it is going for it to play Dack and Graham, in fact Mowbray often mentions playing Dack and 2 other attackers so he clearly agrees.

I agree about getting the balance but that balance has to include getting the best from your main attacking players, notably Dack.

They do have better players on paper but it would make no sense to play our very best player out of position, or not at all.

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Graham can't move though, he can hold the ball and bring people into play but he's mainly effective when he's not isolated on his own.

To say playing without Palmer, Dack or Rothwell as a 10 is crazy is nonsense considering the Brentford game where both Palmer and Rothwell played out wide.

Think its fair to say Villa aren't anywhere near the level of Liverpool but I take your point about Dack. I've changed my mind i'd go with Brereton up top, Dack on the bench.

I didnt see the Brentford game but Bennett as a 10 will always be a conservative decision, and one that should never be made when Dack is available. In the game you mention we had numerous players unavailable to us, specifically Dack.

Your team has Rothwell, Brereton and Armstrong ahead of Dack essentially, albeit obviously via a slight tactical change. If Bolasie plays, surely it would make more sense to put Bennett on that side, and then play Dack. The number 10 role is arguably the one with the least defensive responsibility attached, hence it often being referred to as a free role. That said, I wouldnt say that Dack has ever really proved a liability in that regard. Im sure he will start as a 10 on Saturday.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

He said false 9. I can understand his points he made and the team he selected. 

I thought he was fine against Liverpool in that role. 

I wouldnt be playing Graham in this game but Brereton up front with Armstrong wide right exposing the slowness of their left side of their defence. We have to use Graham from the bench for the 1st 2 games.

Dack in the 10 role will need to be good defensively aswell as attacking wise. Wouldnt surprise me if Bruce man mark him tbh. 

Obviously it was a friendly but we had absolutely no attacking threat in that game. Dack is never a number 9, false or otherwise. He will naturally get frustrated with the lack of the ball and influence he would inevitably get and leave us without a focal point. And hes the one attacking player who you do not want to risk minimising the impact he can have on games. He is our best player and the team should be built around him, which in a 4-2-3-1 it essentially is.

The false 9 role was glamorised in recent years by a Spanish team with an unprecedented abundance of midfielders who were above any other country in the world, all at the same time, Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Fabregas, Silva etc. They also had to slightly compromise as their main attackers, especially Torres were on the wane. Their tactic worked because of the continuing dominance of possession tiring teams out and eventually Spain breaking teams down. Obviously we do not have the midfielders they had to dominate possession in every game and do what they did. Very few if any teams can replicate those tactics.

Such a decision to play Dack as a false 9, one which im sure Mowbray wont and thus this is all hypothetical anyway, would also make a mockery of Mowbray spending 8m on strikers as well as having Graham already at his disposal.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldnt say it is going for it to play Dack and Graham, in fact Mowbray often mentions playing Dack and 2 other attackers so he clearly agrees.

I agree about getting the balance but that balance has to include getting the best from your main attacking players, notably Dack.

Oh I’m with you there, I’m saying Bennett Evans and Smallwood need to be on the pitch too.