BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Villa - 15th September 2018

Can someone please explain this to me? WHY when a team has a free kick on the edge of 18 yard box does no one put a man on the f*cking post! He doesnt even have to stand on the post, just stand a 5 yards behind the wall and as soon as ref blows drop back to the post. I can understand it when free kick is 30, 35 or 40 yards out but there's no space to play in 20/25 yards out. Hypothetically if you had the option to put men on the post for a penalty then you'd do it... So why does no one seems to do it for free kicks??? 2 goals we could have avoided. Drives me mad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

But if they'd won the penalty and Tammy Abraham's radar was better tuned? Disappointing to concede 2 points in injury time yet again I agree but I think a draw was a fair result overall.

The penalty incident was immediately after our wrongly disallowed goal so shouldn't even have been an incident so let's not count that, and the tammy chance, so what, not good enough to score it so therefore doesn't mean they deserve a goal from it, mate. If we were going off chances missed then we could say we should have been 4-1 up at Bristol. 

Edited by AAK

Thought we were very unlucky today. Can't see how the goal we had chalked out could have been offside and I thought the free kick for their goal should have been a free kick the other way. 

Overall a very good performance. Thought both full backs were terrific, especially Bell who was my MOM.

Only slight downsides once again were Smallwood and Evans who once again Didn't offer enough for me and Reed looked far more urgent and a cut above those two when he came on.

Graham had an absolute shocker and looked about 53 not 33 today. Brereton looked quite promising I thought but looks like he needs to be playing down the middle. That would be the obvious switch.

Overall very encouraging looking forward if TM makes a couple of obvious looking tweaks to the line up.

• Like 4

Fair result, just annoying to concede late. 

Look at the state of their squad though, anything less than automatic promotion is a failure to me. 

This is a consolidation season tbf, and we ain't doing too bad at all. Another toughie next week but we'll follow in numbers I hope. 

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Husky said:

Very poor since scoring. Defending far too deep, there was no pressure on the ball at all until they were already in our half.

Will have to see the goal again, but the wall didn't look the best.

Brereton looks like he could be a big waste of money, he looks slow and immobile.

Another draw snatched away with some poor defending and game management.

Even me wife has commented we always do that and she is nit exactly a student of the game.

Thought it was a free kick for their goal. Raya must take the blame for the goal though. If you’re going to cover one side of the goal with a wall, it has to be positioned wide enough to stop the free kick from going around the blind side - and it wasn’t. 

Decent game though. Both sides played quite well but rovers will be the most disappointed of the two. Seen nothing from Brereton so far. Not sure what he’s about to be honest.

30 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray is his own worst enemy.

He brought on all these attacking players, pushed Bell and Nyambe forward in search of a winner. Then as soon as he got it, and I mean as soon as - literally speaking to Reed and Dack before the restart to tell them to drop deeper. With 15 minutes still to play, asking the lads he brought on to play a defensive shape was a huge gamble.

We have the players to hurt Villa and we let the off the hook.

So disappointing but the responsibility has to lie with the manager. I don’t care about any ‘on paper’ results, we should have won that today.

You must be a mind reader Imma thinking pretty much the same scary huh?

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray is his own worst enemy.

He brought on all these attacking players, pushed Bell and Nyambe forward in search of a winner. Then as soon as he got it, and I mean as soon as - literally speaking to Reed and Dack before the restart to tell them to drop deeper. With 15 minutes still to play, asking the lads he brought on to play a defensive shape was a huge gamble.

We have the players to hurt Villa and we let the off the hook.

So disappointing but the responsibility has to lie with the manager. I don’t care about any ‘on paper’ results, we should have won that today.

It's what Mowbray does, score then defend deep is his game plan isn't it?

That offside goal wasn't offside though.

Edited by booth

2 minutes ago, booth said:

It's what Mowbray does, score then defend deep is his game plan isn't it?

That offside goal wasn't offside though.

The free kick one? Honestly not sure. Looked just off according to the Sky pictures.

I often wonder why teams don’t step out on free kicks and play everyone off side.

6F92EE7F-C917-4D0F-9DEC-E1942B461098.jpeg

• Downvote 2

• Backroom

Frustrating to say the least but I really enjoyed that.

Felt like a proper game of football between two decent teams.

Smallwood should be out now his best tackle of the game was unfortunately on his own teammate!

Brereton isn’t a wide man and needs playing centrally.

Think Rothwell can consider himself unlucky not to feature and would be looking to bring him or Palmer in midweek and maybe bring in Armstrong from the bench

• Like 2

Reed played a part in our goal and looked very lively when he came on, it was definitely a free kick and a silly one to give away but I wouldn’t be overly harsh on him. I expect him to overhaul Smallwood in the team soon. Nyambe MOTM for me today another very good display from him, too be honest not many players had a bad game today. I honestly think we played pretty well today overall. More positives than negatives that’s for sure. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Brearton had one lovely touch in the box. He's  a striker though. Def not a winger 

He did so well to chest it down and just couldn’t get the shot off. He should be played centrally or not at all, as even after seeing so little of him it’s blaitantly obvious he’s not suited to playing on the wing. He struggled today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Frustrating to say the least but I really enjoyed that.

Felt like a proper game of football between two decent teams.

Smallwood should be out now his best tackle of the game was unfortunately on his own teammate!

Brereton isn’t a wide man and needs playing centrally.

Think Rothwell can consider himself unlucky not to feature and would be looking to bring him or Palmer in midweek and maybe bring in Armstrong from the bench

We have an embarrassment of riches in the attacking positions but lack quality in defensive positions. Yet we also don’t have natural width. Wing backs if strikers played out wide. Brereton needs to be Graham’s apprentice (with them swapping minutes as the season goes on) or not at all. Not looking like £6m well spent... yet.

Lenihan had a bit of a stinker today. Smallwood was full of endeavour but just isn’t good enough for this level. Reed impressed and I thought was unlucky both with his yellow and with the Grealish dive at the end. Mowbray doesn’t care about form and sticks with his favoured few, tinkering when he feels necessary - with mixed results.

As usual some right bobbins being talked on here....

That was a very good performance from a side that lost at home to AFC Wimbledon this time last year.

Its disappointing to lose a late goal, was it even a free kick? But what a tremendous strike.

Mowbray has worked wonders since his arrival, brought in a bunch of players that actually give a sh1 t and I, like most fans, couldn't be happier with progress so far.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Brearton had one lovely touch in the box. He's  a striker though. Def not a winger 

Are you going to learn his name at some point? I thought it was a typo when you started doing it but it seems to have stuck.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Most posters seem to be saying we played well and were unlucky Gav?

Even AdamRochina!

Try reading Stuart's posts Matty, I think he sits behind a post on the Riverside.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Try reading Stuart's posts Matty, I think he sits behind a post on the Riverside.

I knew it was me you were having a pop at. :lol: 

For some reason it’s not allowed for people (me) to criticise Mowbray “because of all he has done”.

“He is his own worst enemy” is what I said.

Unless you are being obtuse I honestly don’t know why you think he is above criticism. You talk about a “disappointing goal” but fail to notice that it was coming because we invited pressure. Pressure that Mowbray brought on himself by asking attack minded players to drop deep and defend a lead for 20 minutes.