BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Villa - 15th September 2018

6 minutes ago, den said:

Thought it was a free kick for their goal. Raya must take the blame for the goal though. If you’re going to cover one side of the goal with a wall, it has to be positioned wide enough to stop the free kick from going around the blind side - and it wasn’t. 

Decent game though. Both sides played quite well but rovers will be the most disappointed of the two. Seen nothing from Brereton so far. Not sure what he’s about to be honest.

Yes, he set the wall up wrong. 

Brereton obviously isn't a right winger but did really well to nearly carve out a chance out of nothing when he was in the centre of the box at one point.

I know he gave the free kick away (which I didn't think was a foul). But Harrison Reed is a terrific little player. Early days of course, but I'd like to think we might be in the mix to get him permanently next summer. Really spiteful little rat of a player. Someone one described Sebastian Perez to me on here as being a pugnacious little so n so, and Reed has that about him. But he can play a bit as well. He's like a powered up Evans.

Really unlucky tonight. Showed we can mix it at this level. Fancy us to be in the mix for the last few playoff places at the end of the season.

Edited by patrickvalery
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

I knew it was me you were having a pop at. :lol: 

For some reason it’s not allowed for people (me) to criticise Mowbray “because of all he has done”.

“He is his own worst enemy” is what I said.

Unless you are being obtuse I honestly don’t know why you think he is above criticism. You talk about a “disappointing goal” but fail to notice that it was coming because we invited pressure. Pressure that Mowbray brought on himself by asking attack minded players to drop deep and defend a lead for 20 minutes.

He's not beyond reproach Stuart. You're absolutely right. But it's because of him that we have a side capable of going toe to toe with villa in the first place. He'll do for me every day of the week.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I knew it was me you were having a pop at. :lol: 

For some reason it’s not allowed for people (me) to criticise Mowbray “because of all he has done”.

“He is his own worst enemy” is what I said.

Unless you are being obtuse I honestly don’t know why you think he is above criticism. You talk about a “disappointing goal” but fail to notice that it was coming because we invited pressure. Pressure that Mowbray brought on himself by asking attack minded players to drop deep and defend a lead for 20 minutes.

Were Villa on top for the last 20 minutes? I wouldn’t say so, we definitely dropped off a bit i’ll say that but when they got the equaliser was it really coming or a matter of time? Not for me, they weren’t doing much at all. Reed was naive and Grealish knew what he wasn’t doing and bought the free kick and they sucker punched us. It wasn’t coming though for me, it was in the 93rd minute they equalised. I don’t think there was 20 minutes of constant villa pressure, we were still trying to attack up until the 90 minute mark when we naturally sat off. 5 minutes of added time too? F**k knows where that figure was pulled from. 

• Like 5

Just now, Butty said:

Were Villa on top for the last 20 minutes? I wouldn’t say so, we definitely dropped off a bit i’ll say that but when they got the equaliser was it really coming or a matter of time? Not for me, they weren’t doing much at all. Reed was naive and Grealish knew what he wasn’t doing and bought the free kick and they sucker punched us. It wasn’t coming though for me, it was in the 93rd minute they equalised. I don’t think there was 20 minutes of constant villa pressure, we were still trying to attack up until the 90 minute mark when we naturally sat off. 5 minutes of added time too? F**k knows where that figure was pulled from. 

F**k knows? We scored with 14 minutes left and there were 5 minutes added.

We changed our shape immediately after scoring and sat back playing on the break. It didn’t work.

Of course an equaliser was coming - and it came.

The BRFCS knives are clearly out tonight though for anyone not happy with a draw.

Well that was a bit of a rollercoaster game!! 

When I saw the teams before the game, I said to my son's.. looks like its the end of our unbeaten home run.. they started off really well and we edged back into the game (along with help for Lenihan).. typical achilles heel for us trying to hold onto a lead late on... Tony has to review the tactic of sitting back.. there has to be another way.. 

Some highlighted thoughts on players from me:

Reed - this guy looks immense, should be playing CDM with either Evans or Bennett for me! 

Lenihan - worst game in some time, the more I see him play the more I think he is more suited to be a CDM, the way he flies in, he can afford to do that with someone behind him if he cocks up?! 

Brereton - I'm a bit confused by what our strategy is with this guy.. is he gonna be a attacking wide striker or are we helping him learn his trade to be the main man in the future? 

Bell - Definitely going forward than defending 

Nyambe - this lad has made great progress and I honestly didn't think he had it in him.. so big well done! 

Dack - exceptional at times, personally don't think he's good enough for any premier league teams.. But he was great at times.

Overall Ok with the point both Mike everyone else disappointed given the position  we were in..  positive signs again and I think with a few more windows we will be a very good team! 

• Like 1

I must admit that I would have settled for a point before the game and thought we were desperately unlucky not to clinch a win.  Dubious decision for the free-kick but a wonderful strike from the lad.  I thought we had a number of good performers today - Nyambe, Mulgrew, Dack, Bennett and Graham were immense and young Reed looks very good.  A word for the manager who got his selection and substitutions spot on.  Going to three at the back worked well and was a sensible move for me once we were in front.  Another game which has shown how comfortable we look against teams that cost a huge amount of money.  Mowbray is certainly building something which looks very promising for the future.

• Like 6

Mowbray had a game plan and it was a couple of minutes from working perfectly. It's pretty much always the same game plan but still...?

We were cautious and set out to nullify Villa's players. I thought it worked really well (the odd Lenny head rush notwithstanding) and then we started to grow into the game. Similar to the Brentford game in many respects and very nearly the same outcome. Smallwood and Evans had a thankless task tonight against a good Villa midfield but they stuck at it and battled away. I thought they both protected the back 4 very well. Reed had a bit more forward thrust about him when he came on and looked a good addition. Definitely a different type of player to both Evans and Smallwood. Bennett was Bennett!

I'm really not sure what Armstrong brings to the team. He constantly loses the ball and isn't suited out wide. I thought he was poor again.

Nyambe and Bell were very good. Mulgrew composed and unruffled. Lenny a proper warrior if a bit impetuous. 

Having watched their goal again Raya should hang his head in shame. The wall is a disgrace, it practically invites their player to put it where he did. Sunday League goalkeeping.

Brereton - £7m??? hmmmm!!!! Smallwood looked quicker. 

Graham was good, held it up well. He's a bit like Kevin Davies used to be for Bolton. We play a lot of long balls to him and it's his job to keep it. He does it very well. 

the Dack/Jedinak battle was brilliant to watch. I thought Jedinak was just starting to shade it until Dack's brilliant finish. 

Positives: We look very solid as a team and will out battle anyone. 

Negatives: the lack of a genuine winger and the fact we get so few players in the box in open play.

A good point nonetheless and bodes well for a solid mid-table finish. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

F**k knows? We scored with 14 minutes left and there were 5 minutes added.

We changed our shape immediately after scoring and sat back playing on the break. It didn’t work.

Of course an equaliser was coming - and it came.

The BRFCS knives are clearly out tonight though for anyone not happy with a draw.

My “F**k knows where that figure came from” was in reference to the amount of added time the ref gave. Seemed excessive too me. You really think an equaliser looked inevitable? I can’t remember too many chances villa had towards the end of the game. Abraham put one wide but that was it really, they were 1-0 down they were obviously going to come at us, but for me they really didn’t look like scoring and bar that free kick I don’t think they would have scored. I’m the first to say when we haven’t played well but I have no complaints over today’s performamce and I think you’re being a bit over critical too be honest pal. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm really not sure what Armstrong brings to the team. He constantly loses the ball and isn't suited out wide. I thought he was poor again.

For me there in lies the problem. Armstrong , brereton and Graham are all players who play through the middle and bennett imo should be playing dm. We have no natural width and to really progress as a team we need to sort it in the next window. If we can do that and add a cb we are more than capable of challenging for a top six spot

Raya was urging the wall to move but it remained stationary so he gave up. That's what I saw.

Abraham, Grealish, McGinn and Jedinak are very polished players among other good'uns at Villa.

We matched them throughout and that is pleasing. I'd have settled for a point at half time. Good job we scored first otherwise we wouldn't have got the point.

48 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He's a negative tit 

Ah. Ok.

i liked this post. IMO he can be! As I can be an absolute knobhead.

The daft thing about this messageboard is that most arguements / disagreements can be sorted out over a pint with a smile and a shrug of the shoulders. No real biggie. 

Easy to forget we’re all Rovers fans sometimes. Sorry Stuart. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray had a game plan and it was a couple of minutes from working perfectly. It's pretty much always the same game plan but still...?

We were cautious and set out to nullify Villa's players. I thought it worked really well (the odd Lenny head rush notwithstanding) and then we started to grow into the game. Similar to the Brentford game in many respects and very nearly the same outcome. Smallwood and Evans had a thankless task tonight against a good Villa midfield but they stuck at it and battled away. I thought they both protected the back 4 very well. Reed had a bit more forward thrust about him when he came on and looked a good addition. Definitely a different type of player to both Evans and Smallwood. Bennett was Bennett!

Nyambe and Bell were very good. Mulgrew composed and unruffled. Lenny a proper warrior if a bit impetuous. 

Having watched their goal again Raya should hang his head in shame. The wall is a disgrace, it practically invites their player to put it where he did. Sunday League goalkeeping.

Graham was good, held it up well. He's a bit like Kevin Davies used to be for Bolton. We play a lot of long balls to him and it's his job to keep it. He does it very well. 

the Dack/Jedinak battle was brilliant to watch. I thought Jedinak was just starting to shade it until Dack's brilliant finish. 

Negatives: the lack of a genuine winger and the fact we get so few players in the box in open play.

If I was to write a bit more of a detailed review of the game this is exactly how I’d have put it so nice one Blueboy ;) I agree with you on Armstrong, he’s not a winger simple as and neither is Brereton. Both clearly not suited to the role unfortunately. Nyambe has impressed me all season, and Bell with Bristol city aside has seemingly grown in confidence with every game and he got forward today a lot more than he has done in past games. Our team togetherness and spirit is there for all too see, we might not have the most quality in our side but if any team comes to Ewood this season and isn’t up for it or has an off day i’d fancy us to beat them I really would. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Nyambe was brilliant, Lenihan looked awesome, Reed showed real Quality when he came on, and if Grealish is worth 30 million then Dack is bloody priceless!! Unlucky not to win but when you see the Villa squad you would take a point. 

I agree with most of that but Lenihan was woeful. He was our biggest liabity today - in fairness, mainly in the first half. He looked petrified and is making some daft mistakes. Kind of like when Dann and Hanley kept slipping about and gifting the ball away for no reason.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Brad Friedel best goalkeeper I ever saw had a weakness in organising a wall ...The free kick was perfect , move on ! Also last kick of the match and no room for error ...

6 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Ah. Ok.

i liked this post. IMO he can be! As I can be an absolute knobhead.

The daft thing about this messageboard is that most arguements / disagreements can be sorted out over a pint with a smile and a shrug of the shoulders. No real biggie. 

Easy to forget we’re all Rovers fans sometimes. Sorry Stuart. 

Agreed mate 

When it's constant though it gets on your proverbial tits 

We played very well and so unlucky not to have all 3 points after that good performance. I felt very good but gutted at the same time. 

Dack show why he is one of the best player in this league. So much skill and tricky its untrue. We got a bargain last season. Showed Grealish up today. I really enjoyed today song to him that you are just a poor man Bradley Dack. Towards the end he heard the song and he didn't look impressed. What a shame. He was always going to score today I felt before the game after his past couple of weeks

I thought Nyambe, Bell, Mulgrew, Reed and Bennett all had good game. Lenihan started very well and after 1 mistake his confidence dropped and started making mistakes. Graham poor today for me but he pick up abit after 60 mins. maybe abit of rustiness from no games in 2 weeks

I still feel that Dack first half goal should have stood after seeing replays/highlights at home. I felt that McGinn dived when I see it live in the stadium straight infront of me. But after seeing Highlights it was a foul. But I didn't feel that Reed foul was a foul in the stadium or after watching the highlights. 

On Mowbray and his subs today. Spot on with being Reed on and Putting Bennett in there as we were being over run there in centre midfield. Brereton causes a few problems but he is a striker but good to Mowbray changing it early in second half. I could understand Mowbray bring Williams on and going 3 at the back to stop the Villa threat with them playing 2 up front. And it worked untilo the ref give a free kick which in my opinion wasn't. IMO, Mowbray got it spot on tactically today and we didn't draw cos of him. We continue to counter when we could. 

on the Villa goal. It wasn't a foul imo but I felt the wall wasn't set up right and was 2 yards too far left for a left footed. Raya must take the blame for the goal. 

I more than confident we can finish top 10 this season with this squad as long as we don't get loads of injuries. 

52 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Nyambe was brilliant, Lenihan looked awesome, Reed showed real Quality when he came on, and if Grealish is worth 30 million then Dack is bloody priceless!! Unlucky not to win but when you see the Villa squad you would take a point. 

If the penalty had been given would you gave said the same then about Lenihan if Villa scored.

One of those scenarios, I would have taken a point at the start of the match but pissed that we only get a point at the end of it.  We need to close up matches, we have been in this situation many many times.  However keep chins up and go again Tuesday.  If we can snatch another point away from home would be 2 MASSIVE points for us. 

• Like 2

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Maybe so but it was a bloody free kick ...

Agreed. However, the wall was just about covering the post. All he had to do was start the ball a yard outside it which he did with ease. Anyone with an interest in football knows Hourihane has a wand of a left foot. It was poor goalkeeping that has cost us a win. Or the wall didn't listen (as someone posted earlier). Either way it was frustratingly avoidable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Agreed mate 

When it's constant though it gets on your proverbial tits 

I tell you what’s on my tits though. Me nipples.

i can’t keep my hands off them. My wrists.

At this low point of the evening, I’ll get me coat. G’night.