BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Villa - 15th September 2018

We concede so many late goals. It would be interesting to see the stats accross average minutes in the game we conceed over the last year. It seems a lot are 85 minutes onwards especually in added time. 

Would have taken a point before the game but that goal is a sickner

Horrible and slightly worryingly familiar feeling to that late goal. 

Didnt think Dack was at his best and thought he was lucky to get man of the match but clever flick for the goal, always a threat. Mulgrew was our best player, superb both defensively and on the ball, especially as a flying right winger for the goal. Reed was very good but poor to give away the free kick. Evans and Smallwood were fine but Reed a step up today. 

Big question marks over Raya again for the goal. Terrible organisation of a wall and should never be beaten at that side.

Lenihan had an absolute shocker, made a number of terrible errors and poor on the ball. Brereton was really poor and sluggish when he came on as much as the role he played doesnt suit him. Armstrong may as well have sat in the stands with me.

We were definitely competitive but we need to cut out conceding late goals.

5 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Hope I'm wrong on this but I think we've been sold a pup in Brereton. Movement was poor, ball retention poor and was lacking in pace and strength. Got to hope he improves..and fast.

Think Brereton picked up a knock when he turned and shot in the box. He seemed to struggle to shake it off for the remainder of the game, hence seeming a bit sluggish.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Hope I'm wrong on this but I think we've been sold a pup in Brereton. Movement was poor, ball retention poor and was lacking in pace and strength. Got to hope he improves..and fast.

I do wonder what TM would be like as car mechanic, somebody brings a car to him with a damaged left side door, do you think he would order a  bonnet to replace it? , it would probably do a job of pretending to be a left side door ,although it would do a better job putting it in the position it was meant to be in :)

• Like 1

I have to say the 'defending' for the equaliser looked bad on The Quest+1 football show. Player (not in the wall) ducked out of the way on the end, wall wasn't far enough across.

The 'guest pundit' put the blame on Raya for not saving it from so far out.

Edited by Husky

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

Nyambe had a good game today didn’t he? Your opinion on him changing a bit JAL?

Is very hard Butty because I've not been able to go and a few are saying hes had a good game but not what he did to have this good game.

For Rovers goal it looks like Charlie boy is doing the creative work down Nyambe's attacking right hand side to create Rovers goal this is what I want to see from Nyambe to say yes.

Gutted we didn't win.

Edited by JAL

8 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

I do wonder what TM would be like as car mechanic, somebody brings a car to him with a damaged left side door, do you think he would order a  bonnet to replace it? , it would probably do a job of pretending to be a left side door ,although it would do a better job putting it in the position it was meant to be in :)

Yes i know what you're saying but, if played in his supposed best position, he'd be replacing Graham. Based on what I've seen of him do far in regard to movement, strength and workrate he'd be a very poor substitute for him.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

I must admit that I would have settled for a point before the game and thought we were desperately unlucky not to clinch a win.  Dubious decision for the free-kick but a wonderful strike from the lad.  I thought we had a number of good performers today - Nyambe, Mulgrew, Dack, Bennett and Graham were immense and young Reed looks very good.  A word for the manager who got his selection and substitutions spot on.  Going to three at the back worked well and was a sensible move for me once we were in front.  Another game which has shown how comfortable we look against teams that cost a huge amount of money.  Mowbray is certainly building something which looks very promising for the future.

The "for the future" bit is what we should focus on. There's an outside chance that we could snatch a play-off place but you could say that for three quarters of  the teams in the Championship!

Our mission this season is surely to stay up comfortably and not be involved in relegation? Then build from there and go again. Its a miracle looking at where we were.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I said the same thing to my lads on the walk home.. my 13yr old then went on to remind me about Dacks first 4 or 5 games for us.. 

The forest fans rated him very highly l, says something for me.

44 minutes ago, JAL said:

Is very hard Butty because I've not been able to go and a few are saying hes had a good game but not what he did to have this good game.

For Rovers goal it looks like Charlie boy is doing the creative work down Nyambe's attacking right hand side to create Rovers goal this is what I want to see from Nyambe to say yes.

Gutted we didn't win.

He honestly played very well today and has been consistent all season, he’s so strong. There were numerous times he held off the opposition to win possession back and he certainly got forward well. For our goal it followed a corner ball hence why Mulgrew was out on the right side. Thought you might have watched it on the telly today pal. I’m gutted we didn’t hold on because we played well today. Two tough away trips coming up now, i’d take a point away at Derby but stoke have been poor so far. No reason why we can’t go there and get a result. Positive start to the season though JAL. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

Some utter THE WORD I HAVE TRIED TO USE DESERVES A BAN on here saying Raya was at fault for their goal, it’s one of the best free kicks I’ve ever seen. No keeper positions his wall 2 yards outside of the near post. It’s just one of those things. A keeper let in a good free kick, big deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Some utter THE WORD I HAVE TRIED TO USE DESERVES A BAN on here saying Raya was at fault for their goal, it’s one of the best free kicks I’ve ever seen. No keeper positions his wall 2 yards outside of the near post. It’s just one of those things. A keeper let in a good free kick, big deal.

Mowbray is also a word that deserves a ban, in that he thinks we should have had 2 more players in the wall. 

Also seen the 2 main decisions again, first instinct at the ground was it was a McGinn dive. It was a penalty having seen it again. That said, our first goal looks valid.

Sure you can question the wall, but sometimes you just need to admit the beauty of a free kick. Hats off to Hourihane on that one.

Lenihan was brilliant in the air today, but anything on the ground seemed to trouble him (had a couple of slips that were almost costly).

I don't think you can fault Smallwood's effort today, and he's looked better the past couple games than the first few. But Reed's appearance made it clear Smallwood's days as a regular starter may be numbered. (On the note of him looking lethargic coming back on occasion, I think it's more that his general lack of athleticism gets exposed in a straight line sprint). I do like having Smallwood as midfield option though. Certainly not keen on getting rid of him.

Nice work by Bell and Nyambe on the wings. Armstrong had a couple sparks... I'm not sure whether I'm hopeful that he's poised to break out soon or I'm worried that we're witnessing his (historical...) limitations at the Championship level.

Edited by RoverCanada

3 hours ago, Husky said:

I have to say the 'defending' for the equaliser looked bad on The Quest+1 football show. Player (not in the wall) ducked out of the way on the end, wall wasn't far enough across.

The 'guest pundit' put the blame on Raya for not saving it from so far out.

If irony then I apologise but surely you recognised the guest pundit?

Excellent game of exciting and absorbing football which I really enjoyed. We out played Villa for much of the game, I'd say we were on top at least 60/40 and possibly 70/30 - not dominant but on top of the game as a Villa goal was always a possibility.

We dropped points because of a stupid free kick beautifully executed. We'd have been singing Charlie's name all night if it had been one of his 

Lenihan was far better than most are suggesting with just the two poor errors in the space of, what, a minute? Credit to him for recovering and not losing confidence. I thought Charlie should have given him a quiet word of encouragement at that point.

Five minutes extra time? Obvious really. Six substitutions which I believe are 30 seconds each is 3 minutes plus 2 for a lot of Villa time wasting at throw ins.

Very, very happy with the manager and team performance. We grow in to this league with every game that passes.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Agreed. However, the wall was just about covering the post. All he had to do was start the ball a yard outside it which he did with ease. Anyone with an interest in football knows Hourihane has a wand of a left foot. It was poor goalkeeping that has cost us a win. Or the wall didn't listen (as someone posted earlier). Either way it was frustratingly avoidable. 

There's a few to blame, from the needless foul that gave them a sniff so close to the end of the game, the failure to get everyone but the dog in the wall.,and the failure of Raya to realise that a left-footer had only one option and to cover that option.

Very poor, whatever the quality of the free-kick.

11 hours ago, Neal said:

Can someone please explain this to me? WHY when a team has a free kick on the edge of 18 yard box does no one put a man on the f*cking post! He doesnt even have to stand on the post, just stand a 5 yards behind the wall and as soon as ref blows drop back to the post. I can understand it when free kick is 30, 35 or 40 yards out but there's no space to play in 20/25 yards out. Hypothetically if you had the option to put men on the post for a penalty then you'd do it... So why does no one seems to do it for free kicks??? 2 goals we could have avoided. Drives me mad.

There would have been ten Villa players in the six yard box... with their height and strength you have to play the percentages - the free kick was excellent and pretty much unstoppable.

Enjoyed the game though - if Villa are meant to be up there at the end of the season then surely we won’t be too far behind. Thought they were bang average and bloody lucky.

Liked Reed, he will give the out ball option better than Smallwood/Evans and should help cut out some of the Lenihan mistakes. 

Not sure DG is a starter, but was great second half.

Dack is an impudent genius and I bloody love him.

Roll on Tuesday - think it will be tougher.