BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Ryan Nyambe Appreciation Thread

18 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I like Nyambe, and he's going to improve again next season, but Premier League quality? Maybe in a couple of seasons, and although he could go to a Premier League side to be a squad player right now, I think he needs to improve before he'd be any Premier League team's first-choice right-back.

Agree that he’s not brilliant, but nowadays the teams in the bottom half of the Prem aren’t that much better than the Championship imo.

He seems to have temporarily regressed post lockdown back to the over-cautious full back he has been in the past, so reluctant to run forward at the moment and not offering a threat on the overlap.

Even on top form he was powering forward but not really doing much once he got so far up the pitch.

I cant see Premier League teams having any interest in him.

That being said, Nyambe at his worst is always a better option there than Bennett.

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He seems to have temporarily regressed post lockdown back to the over-cautious full back he has been in the past, so reluctant to run forward at the moment and not offering a threat on the overlap.

Even on top form he was powering forward but not really doing much once he got so far up the pitch.

I cant see Premier League teams having any interest in him.

That being said, Nyambe at his worst is always a better option there than Bennett.

I like Ryan a lot but I think this is a fair assessment of where he is at present. Progressing nicely but not yet PL standard.

He does seem to be playing slightly within himself post-lockdown - not in a way which is a concern but still a slight drop off. I wonder if this might have something to do with him managing his body with all the extra games. He's talked about his tendency to pick up muscle injuries in the past, maybe the extra games in a condensed period means that he wants to reduce the risk. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I like Ryan a lot but I think this is a fair assessment of where he is at present. Progressing nicely but not yet PL standard.

He does seem to be playing slightly within himself post-lockdown - not in a way which is a concern but still a slight drop off. I wonder if this might have something to do with him managing his body with all the extra games. He's talked about his tendency to pick up muscle injuries in the past, maybe the extra games in a condensed period means that he wants to reduce the risk. 

I think hes always had a weakness in terms of attacking. Its like there is a brick wall before the final third. Even pre lockdown he rarely put in a dangerous final ball but he was more forceful breaking through and providing an overlap.

I think hes always been a more defensive full back.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I think hes always had a weakness in terms of attacking. Its like there is a brick wall before the final third. Even pre lockdown he rarely put in a dangerous final ball but he was more forceful breaking through and providing an overlap.

I think hes always been a more defensive full back.

Can't argue with that. I suppose the way that the game is going fullbacks are increasingly less likely to get away with just being good defenders and not need to offer a significant attacking threat. Having said that he has clearly developed in running with the ball and keeping possession - he probably only needs to become adequate at his final ball and other clubs might be looking in his direction.

I wonder if a player like Andre Ooijer would have had any sort of career as a right back in the modern game. Good defender and technically v. decent, but his instincts are so much that of a defender that he might've not even have been given the chance there to begin with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Nyambe looks like he could genuinely terrify the opposition when he starts to bomb forward, so much pace and power, just needs to work on that final ball and decision making in the final third.  

Don't know where this talk of him having no final ball.

Whenever I've seen him cross it's always a really good ball.

Mowbray just doesn't want him running at players and getting the ball into the box.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray just doesn't want him running at players and getting the ball into the box.

Game of opinions, but I really don't see it that way at all.

I do think that he has worked really hard on his technical play and he can do a pretty good job of keeping possession high up the pitch, and it might be easy to exaggerate how bad his final ball tends to be (happy to say it's no worse than Bell's, more often than not). Even so, I can't agree that we can call his crossing good, definitely a weaker part of his game as I see it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think this is nonsense and seeing what you want to see. And I have been critical of Mowbray recently.

When has he ever put in good crosses? I can only think of the one v Swansea, ironically which came when he was playing at centre back.

Since he broke through he has always seemed reluctant to run forward, always one for a sideways/backwards pass when he gets so far up the pitch. Dangerous crosses from him are always clearly reluctant ones and are few and far between. Im not saying hes a poor full back, hes an important player for us and he is improving but hes better defensively rather than attacking.

Mowbray seems to encourage his full backs to push forward but although Nyambe is the most effective, none really offer the consistent attacking threat we need from that area at this time.

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think this is nonsense and seeing what you want to see. And I have been critical of Mowbray recently.

When has he ever put in good crosses? I can only think of the one v Swansea, ironically which came when he was playing at centre back.

Since he broke through he has always seemed reluctant to run forward, always one for a sideways/backwards pass when he gets so far up the pitch. Dangerous crosses from him are always clearly reluctant ones and are few and far between. Im not saying hes a poor full back, hes an important player for us and he is improving but hes better defensively rather than attacking.

Mowbray seems to encourage his full backs to push forward but although Nyambe is the most effective, none really offer the consistent attacking threat we need from that area at this time.

He put in a phenomenal cross in the West Brom game.

When has crossed it's been generally a really good ball.

Everyone on here and at Blackburn knows he's our best outlet.

He hasn't ventures forward much since the restart, no idea why that is.

24 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He put in a phenomenal cross in the West Brom game.

When has crossed it's been generally a really good ball.

Everyone on here and at Blackburn knows he's our best outlet.

He hasn't ventures forward much since the restart, no idea why that is.

Is he? He has never been a good attacking right back in terms of final delivery, even when he was brimming full of confidence earlier in the season his final ball was never particularly threatening. He is a good full back with plenty of promise but his strengths lie defensively at this moment. The assist v Swansea was his first since we returned to the Championship.

I cant really remember the good cross from Saturday but may be getting forgetful, when was it?

Mowbray just doesn't want him running at players and getting the ball into the box" was just a bizarre and unfounded comment and totally unfair.

Edited by roversfan99

Big fan of Nyambe but he does look a bit uncomfortable when he gets in a position to cross. You can tell it's not something he's used to doing, and he doesn't appear to have great technique when he does cross.

However whenever he has Samuel or Gallagher in front of him, not natural wingers so they've a tendency to drift inside to where they're more comfortable, I've noticed that Nyambe often has to do the whole right flank himself. You often see him with a huge gap in front of him down the right. Generating a threat in the final third in those circumstances would be a big ask for any full back, even for those that are comfortable taking players on and crossing - never mind somebody who's traditionally been a more defensive minded full back like Nyambe.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he? He has never been a good attacking right back in terms of final delivery, even when he was brimming full of confidence earlier in the season his final ball was never particularly threatening. He is a good full back with plenty of promise but his strengths lie defensively at this moment. The assist v Swansea was his first since we returned to the Championship.

I cant really remember the good cross from Saturday but may be getting forgetful, when was it?

Mowbray just doesn't want him running at players and getting the ball into the box" was just a bizarre and unfounded comment and totally unfair.

I'd love to see a stat where it says how many crosses he's made because he hardly makes any.

He always beats defenders so I'm not sure why doesn't cross.

I reckon if there was a RB heatmap he'd spent the most time in the opposition's half.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'd love to see a stat where it says how many crosses he's made because he hardly makes any.

He always beats defenders so I'm not sure why doesn't cross.

I reckon if there was a RB heatmap he'd spent the most time in the opposition's half.

So Mowbray clearly encourages him to get forward if he spends so much time near the opposition box?

He's come a long way, a very decent Championship right-back. Unforunately for his own personal career, that jump to the Premier League is hindered by his lack of attacking potency. The PL contains 18 teams who use VERY attacking full backs. There's only Burnley and maybe Villa who still play with traditional defenders in those roles. To play at right-back in that division you have to be able to create, run at a man and score from time to time too, all whilst having the stamina and where-with-all to get back and track the two men you're having to mark on your wing.

On a greedy, Blackburn oriented club level, it's great news. I can't imagine Ryan being desperate to jump ship to another side in our division, and I can't personally see a PL side coming in for him either. Will likely mean a long and plentiful career at Ewood Park. A player who unlike a lot of others in our Starting XI, is relatively fit and not to often sat out injured for long periods. I think we can all agree that right-back is a department that we have slotted in, locked and thrown away the key for - and thank God after the Todd Kane, Bradley Orr, Alex Baptiste, Adam Henley and Paul Caddis years.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He's come a long way, a very decent Championship right-back. Unforunately for his own personal career, that jump to the Premier League is hindered by his lack of attacking potency. The PL contains 18 teams who use VERY attacking full backs. There's only Burnley and maybe Villa who still play with traditional defenders in those roles. To play at right-back in that division you have to be able to create, run at a man and score from time to time too, all whilst having the stamina and where-with-all to get back and track the two men you're having to mark on your wing.

On a greedy, Blackburn oriented club level, it's great news. I can't imagine Ryan being desperate to jump ship to another side in our division, and I can't personally see a PL side coming in for him either. Will likely mean a long and plentiful career at Ewood Park. A player who unlike a lot of others in our Starting XI, is relatively fit and not to often sat out injured for long periods. I think we can all agree that right-back is a department that we have slotted in, locked and thrown away the key for - and thank God after the Todd Kane, Bradley Orr, Alex Baptiste, Adam Henley and Paul Caddis years.

I agree with all of that but Baptiste did really well whilst he was here and shouldn’t be placed along side the rest of the dross imo

• Like 3

Nyambe's final product isn't great, but it's not helped by two things. I've said this before, but...

1) Not operating with a proper right winger who you'd expect would not only link up better, but take some of the pressure off Nyambe to do the deliveries. It shows him up a lot more when most of the weight is on him to do it. I'd be happy with a system of Nyambe thundering us up the pitch from defence and laying it off to someone else who could put a good ball in.

2) The frequent lack of decent options in the box. Ironically, our 'favoured right winger' is the tallest lad in the team and we would be a lot better served by him being on the end of crosses instead of trying to make them. I wonder how much of Nyambe's checking back is just because there's nobody taking up a good spot, showing for the ball.

Ultimately we just aren't set up for crosses to be a fundamental part of our game anyway.

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Eh? He misses about a third of games every season.

Not usually through injury. Missed a huge chunk in the last two years purely because Mowbray had dropped him. Repeatedly told in the LT that Nyambe was fit again but wasn't chosen.

I think it was the game where he missed a good scoring chance early on that Bradley Dack was co-commentator. Dack said that Ryan refuses to join in after training shooting practice.

Can you imagine Brian Clough allowing that refusal? I'd by whispering in his ear that if he wants to continue being picked at full back he MUST join in shooting and crossing practice.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Even when they were both fit, Mowbray picked Bennett over Nyambe at times....

In my view, he’s a confidence player and the above won’t have helped with this one bit!