• Dack
    • Armstrong
    • Graham
    • Reed
    • Williams
    • Brereton

16 hours ago, Stuart said:

I knew it was me you were having a pop at. :lol: 

For some reason it’s not allowed for people (me) to criticise Mowbray “because of all he has done”.

“He is his own worst enemy” is what I said.

Unless you are being obtuse I honestly don’t know why you think he is above criticism. You talk about a “disappointing goal” but fail to notice that it was coming because we invited pressure. Pressure that Mowbray brought on himself by asking attack minded players to drop deep and defend a lead for 20 minutes.

Invited pressure? I cant remember Villa cutting us open once. the 3 at the back worked and Mowbray changed it when Villa went 2 up top and Grealish went wide left. We were still attacking even when we was 1 nil up and in the last 20 mins. That goal wasn't coming at all. Can you why that goal was coming when Villa wasn't created clear cut chances or forcing Raya into saves after saves please?

on the subject of dropping deep. it deny their pacey players space in behind

They scored from a free kick that I thought wasn't after looking at the challenges the ref didn't give fouls for 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

People are too quick to blame Raya for that free kick imo. Watch it again.

Aside from being a great strike, Raya was telling Charlie where to position that wall and was being ignored. Then when it was being taken, you can see Charlie leaning into the wall (away from the flight of the ball).

If I were Mowbray I'd be asking what the hell Captain Fantastic was thinking. He cost us those points imo.

If he'd been where Raya tried to put him, that ball couldn't have gone where it did 

after watching the full game back this morning you can see Mulgrew ignoring Raya and he just give up. I'm sure Mowbray would have asked questions about it after the game. 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

That was pretty much the concencus of the people I go with and the fans on the bus going home. As we dropped deeper we gave Villa the initiative to get at us. Grealish started to find more room and we were under the cosh. I would rather have packed midfield during this period than the defence to deny the likes of Hourahane and Grealish any space,

Villa didn't even created a good chance when we went 5-4-1. 

Grealish didn't do much in the final third and he hated the Rovers fan chant that he is just a poor Bradley Dack. 

Even with the wall as it was, Raya should have been one step over to his right, he shouldnt have been beaten at that near post, Hourihane was always going to go for that side.

Raya had a good day in terms of claiming the ball and did one brilliant throw to set up a counter attack, but again got very lucky when he ran out by slicing the ball back into play when he should have put it in the stands. He does this almost every game and I'm amazed that it hasnt been nipped in the bud by both him and the goalkeeping coach.

Officials had a very poor day but again it wasnt a conspiracy against Rovers. As unlucky as we were to see a goal wrongly ruled out, we should have conceded a blatant penalty.

Brereton should never play wide, he looked like a fish out of water in a position that Forest fans suggested he was ineffective in there. They also said he throws himself to the floor a lot and he certainly did a few times. Hopefully its more fitness based than desire but the intensity in chasing people down just wasnt there and he seemed a lot slower than I expected and more ponderous. We all know that our squad lacks wingers but Palmer should have been brought on over him to play that role.

I do wonder who will start on Tuesday. Reed was very impressive albeit naive to give away the critical free kick. That said, I cant see him breaking up Evans and Smallwood. Further forward, Dack is a given. (Although I thought he wasnt at his best yesterday, was trying things but they often didnt come off) Palmer was unlucky not to start and deserves to come back in over Armstrong. So if its a straight fight between Graham, Brereton and Armstrong to be number 9. The latter 2 may fancy bringing mobility but Armstrong has been poor so far this season and Brereton hasnt done anything in his cameos to put him above Graham so id probably stick with him.

Very surprised to be the first to vote Mulgrew as man of the match, thought he stood out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

They did cut us open at times albeit earlier before the subs, Abraham missed two good chances after nice movement 

Thats why Mowbray change it

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Officials had a very poor day but again it wasnt a conspiracy against Rovers. As unlucky as we were to see a goal wrongly ruled out, we should have conceded a blatant penalty.

Brereton should never play wide, he looked like a fish out of water in a position that Forest fans suggested he was ineffective in there. They also said he throws himself to the floor a lot and he certainly did a few times. Hopefully its more fitness based than desire but the intensity in chasing people down just wasnt there and he seemed a lot slower than I expected and more ponderous. We all know that our squad lacks wingers but Palmer should have been brought on over him to play that role.

I do wonder who will start on Tuesday. Reed was very impressive albeit naive to give away the critical free kick. That said, I cant see him breaking up Evans and Smallwood. Further forward, Dack is a given. (Although I thought he wasnt at his best yesterday, was trying things but they often didnt come off) Palmer was unlucky not to start and deserves to come back in over Armstrong. So if its a straight fight between Graham, Brereton and Armstrong to be number 9. The latter 2 may fancy bringing mobility but Armstrong has been poor so far this season and Brereton hasnt done anything in his cameos to put him above Graham so id probably stick with him.

Very surprised to be the first to vote Mulgrew as man of the match, thought he stood out.

Firstly, officials in English football arent good enough. Thats why none went to world cup. Time FA, PL and FL invest more money in officials and the quality of them. 

On Palmer, not a game for him yesterday for me. Brereton did fine for me wide but should start up front on Tuesday. He was slow? Really? Maybe watch the game back? 

I would start Reed over Smallwood and Brereton for Graham. Other than that same time. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Graham had a great game. He gave their defenders a really difficult time. Won so many knock ons. Held it up well as always. Nobody else can do what he does and it's crucial to how we play. 

Mulgrew is our quarter back. Some nice trickery on the wing a few times too

I thought Graham was poor until Brereton came on. He upped his game after that. I think he thought he was coming off when Evans went off. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I went for Graham. Thought he was excellent personally with his hold up play, flick ons and knock downs. Saw a few people on the match thread suggest he was poor. Think they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

He won far more duels with the centre halves than he lost. He nearly always got a little flick on. He got out in front of Tuanzabe a lot and gave him a bit of a lesson really. Chester was a bit more 50/50,but I would say Graham did get the better of him a nice few times. I reckon Graham playing so well was the reason Brereton was brought on the wing instead of upfront 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats why Mowbray change it

Firstly, officials in English football arent good enough. Thats why none went to world cup. Time FA, PL and FL invest more money in officials and the quality of them. 

On Palmer, not a game for him yesterday for me. Brereton did fine for me wide but should start up front on Tuesday. He was slow? Really? Maybe watch the game back? 

I would start Reed over Smallwood and Brereton for Graham. Other than that same time. 

I thought Graham was poor until Brereton came on. He upped his game after that. I think he thought he was coming off when Evans went off. 

I know but my point was, contrary to some opinions, the officials poor performance affected both teams, rather than just us.

Please stop speaking in such a patronising manner, Brereton was right in front of me and I didnt see him take his man on at any point really, he didnt look sharp, (perhaps aprtially due to lack of game time) he threw himself over too many times and he failed to impact the game but I do take into account that he was out of position and it was only 35 minutes. I hope playing him wide isnt something that Mowbray will do going forward as he has with other forwards.

Graham held the ball up expertly on the rare occasions that we got him involved but I thought that his main problem was the support to him; Dack was involved as ever but he got tackled quite a lot and his final ball wasnt up to his usual high standards, and Armstrong was barely involved and never ran at Hutton.

Smallwood for me.

Perhaps some reaction to his criticism but i felt his impact on our team for an hour yesterday was a “never say die” mentality. Certainly not technically as proficient as others but his work rate is infectious.

I tried to add a response at Naples airport however the WiFi is typically crud!

there is no pleasing some Rovers fans and some talk an absolute load of tripe! Over the past 12 months we have seen a solid rebuild, promotion and the squad being assembled that should bear fruit in the future and the club is on a sound footing YET some on here are unhappy. 

We are just 8 or 9 weeks into a new season, we have a 24 match unbeaten home record and we have just drawn against a big spending massive club in Aston Villa. We didn’t lose we got a point ffs! 

Yes we are a little miffed at conceding a 94th minute equaliser BUT get on with it, we move on to Derby.

The whiners on here are the reason why many members don’t bother commenting or even coming on here at all.

This is Brfc 2018!

• Like 1

Interestingly Villa fans are uptight about playing Elmohamady on the wing rather than right back. https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/09/twitter/villa-fans-rip-into-elmohamady-v-blackburn/

Managers want to give their “best players” game time but the  wings appear to be places that they put players whether they are no 9’s or right backs. Armstrong and Brereton are not wingers but they can do a job cutting in.

Not sure that is better than putting on an out and out winger like Conway later on who can cross a ball to a target man. Then perm 1 out of 3 number 9’s to be in the target position. 

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

there is no pleasing some Rovers fans and some talk an absolute load of tripe! Over the past 12 months we have seen a solid rebuild, promotion and the squad being assembled that should bear fruit in the future and the club is on a sound footing YET some on here are unhappy. 

We are just 8 or 9 weeks into a new season, we have a 24 match unbeaten home record and we have just drawn against a big spending massive club in Aston Villa. We didn’t lose we got a point ffs! 

Yes we are a little miffed at conceding a 94th minute equaliser BUT get on with it, we move on to Derby.

The whiners on here are the reason why many members don’t bother commenting or even coming on here at all.

This is Brfc 2018!

The thing is, you're posting in the Aston Villa individual match thread. I have not seen anyone say it is a terrible result, a bad performance or anything like that. I have seen people comment both positively and negatively on aspects of the team performance, on individual performance, on refereeing decisions, on team selection and on substitutions, which is exactly what I would expect.

It isnt the "how have Rovers done in the last 12 months" thread otherwise I have no doubt that there would be universal positivity. So many people seem insistent on creating an atmosphere on here whereby because the club is clearly on an upward trajectory, that every bit of criticism, no matter if it is warranted or not, should be met with hostility.

Expressing disappointment in a last minute equaliser doesnt have to then be manipulated into unhappiness at the overall current situation of the club, or towards the managers future, or anything like that. Posts like this just take peoples opinions over individual, isolated incidents and take them out of context to make people seem unreasonable.

Go onto a Man City messageboard, a Barcelona one, whatever, when they drop points or when certain players under perform, they will also criticise that. Again, doesnt mean they think the clubs gone to wrack and ruin.

Please can you quote the "absolute load of tripe" that you have seen that is the reason that many members have been driven away from the messageboard.

• Like 2

Smallwood for me too.

I don’t get to as many games in the flesh as I would like, but managed to get on yesterday - This season and last I have always left impressed with Richie’s smart off the ball work, the way he pops up everywhere, and his surprising passing ability. 

Some things just don’t translate on the TV pictures and I don’t know if he had a particularly better game or what but he was fantastic yesterday.

HOWEVER I think one of him, or preferably Evans, has to make way for Reed on Tuesday. He looks exactly like the kind of player that Evans has often promised to be. Busy little bugger and very tidy with the ball - he will help those around him with that bit of extra quality.

By the same token of TV vs live and being able to watch a player - I thought in the first half that Graham, whilst not poor, just doesn’t have to mobility to be able to link up, move defences or get on the end of a snappy passing play and of course has no chance in behind. He came into his own second half when it gets a bit more direct and there isn’t many better at that - but I wouldn’t mind every now and then having Armstrong or Brereton starting games dragging centre halves around and not just bruising them. Expect we will see one of those two leading the line Tuesday.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

This is Brfc 2018!

Care to cite an example of the ‘whiners’?

We conceded a very late goal, people are bound to be frustrated and not exactly doing cartwheels! 

Literally every manager of every club on the planet has their decisions questioned, they live and die by those decisions, this isn’t a new phenomenon in football.

Having given them a bit of stick after Bristol City, I thought Mulgrew and Lenihan were both excellent yesterday. Also I thought Nyambe  was very good. I'm in the minority but I'd still prefer Williams over Bell.

Smallwood and Evans both held their own in the middle and Dack just gives us that threat that we lack without him. Even when things weren't coming off, you could see Villa were concerned about him. 

Armstrong was disappointing. You do look at the situations he finds himself in out wide and think "if only that was Chapman".

Brereton looked poor but I'm presuming he's never been a winger. It will be frustrating if he keeps coming on wide just to give him a game. 

The position of the wall was wrong but that's been covered.

Despite the timing of the equaliser, it was one of the most enjoyable games I've witnessed at Ewood for a while.

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I know but my point was, contrary to some opinions, the officials poor performance affected both teams, rather than just us.

Please stop speaking in such a patronising manner, Brereton was right in front of me and I didnt see him take his man on at any point really, he didnt look sharp, (perhaps aprtially due to lack of game time) he threw himself over too many times and he failed to impact the game but I do take into account that he was out of position and it was only 35 minutes. I hope playing him wide isnt something that Mowbray will do going forward as he has with other forwards.

Graham held the ball up expertly on the rare occasions that we got him involved but I thought that his main problem was the support to him; Dack was involved as ever but he got tackled quite a lot and his final ball wasnt up to his usual high standards, and Armstrong was barely involved and never ran at Hutton.

Refs are far too inconsistent at any level. Reed foul wasn't a foul considering what he let Villa get a away on Dack and Graham. But the ref had a soft spot on Grealish. 

Brereton isnt match fit at all. And he isnt a winger but came on and had an impact. And I didnt speak to you in patronising manner so please dont lie. 

Disagree on your Graham and Dack assessment. Graham did nothing until Brereton came on. Thought Dack try to make things happens and busy on the ball. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Having given them a bit of stick after Bristol City, I thought Mulgrew and Lenihan were both excellent yesterday. Also I though Nyambe was very good. I'm in the minority but I'd still prefer Williams over Bell.

Smallwood and Evans both held their own in the middle and Dack just gives us that threat that we lack without him. Even when things weren't coming off, you could see Villa were concerned about him. 

Armstrong was disappointing. You do look at the situations he finds himself in out wide and think "if only that was Chapman".

Brereton looked poor but I'm presuming he's never been a winger. It will be frustrating if he keeps coming on wide just to give him a game. 

The position of the wall was wrong but that's been covered.

Despite the timing of the equaliser, it was one of the most enjoyable games I've witnessed at Ewood for a while.

'like'

I thought Dacks battle with Jedinak was brilliant.