• Bennett
    • Dack
    • Armstrong
    • Graham
    • Reed
    • Williams
    • Brereton

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Refs are far too inconsistent at any level. Reed foul wasn't a foul considering what he let Villa get a away on Dack and Graham. But the ref had a soft spot on Grealish. 

Brereton isnt match fit at all. And he isnt a winger but came on and had an impact. And I didnt speak to you in patronising manner so please dont lie. 

Disagree on your Graham and Dack assessment. Graham did nothing until Brereton came on. Thought Dack try to make things happens and busy on the ball. 

Lets cut out the conspiracy nonsense, the ref was against us and for the opponent rubbish. Grealish used his body well and Reed barged into him clumsily. The ref didnt have a soft spot for Grealish. As for the other 2 main decisions, both us and Villa got a decision in the penalty non-award and the 'offisde' goal that went for/against us. 

He didnt have an impact bar a slight flick at the start of the melee following superb work my Mulgrew, leading to the goal. Im sure he will in time but not yesterday and not playing in that position.

Youve basically agreed on Dack, he did try and make things happen, he always does, but it usually wasnt coming off for him, attempts at nutmegs and dribbles not quite coming off. He was still influential but not to the same success as usual, apart from the crucial goal. He was never man of the match.

Thought the ref was over fussy all afternoon he pulled up everyone for running into each other but let some good meaty challenges go. We got our share of fouls and free kicks, not seen them back but the linesman on the JW side needed flogging with a large bunch of nettles however.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Even with the wall as it was, Raya should have been one step over to his right, he shouldnt have been beaten at that near post, Hourihane was always going to go for that side.

Raya had a good day in terms of claiming the ball and did one brilliant throw to set up a counter attack, but again got very lucky when he ran out by slicing the ball back into play when he should have put it in the stands. He does this almost every game and I'm amazed that it hasnt been nipped in the bud by both him and the goalkeeping coach.

Officials had a very poor day but again it wasnt a conspiracy against Rovers. As unlucky as we were to see a goal wrongly ruled out, we should have conceded a blatant penalty.

Brereton should never play wide, he looked like a fish out of water in a position that Forest fans suggested he was ineffective in there. They also said he throws himself to the floor a lot and he certainly did a few times. Hopefully its more fitness based than desire but the intensity in chasing people down just wasnt there and he seemed a lot slower than I expected and more ponderous. We all know that our squad lacks wingers but Palmer should have been brought on over him to play that role.

I do wonder who will start on Tuesday. Reed was very impressive albeit naive to give away the critical free kick. That said, I cant see him breaking up Evans and Smallwood. Further forward, Dack is a given. (Although I thought he wasnt at his best yesterday, was trying things but they often didnt come off) Palmer was unlucky not to start and deserves to come back in over Armstrong. So if its a straight fight between Graham, Brereton and Armstrong to be number 9. The latter 2 may fancy bringing mobility but Armstrong has been poor so far this season and Brereton hasnt done anything in his cameos to put him above Graham so id probably stick with him.

Very surprised to be the first to vote Mulgrew as man of the match, thought he stood out.

I agree re Palmer. Baffling that he didn't come on for Armstrong. Equally baffling, if Graham is going to play the whole game, why bring another striker on for the sake of it?

Its good to have so many options but it has to be managed properly.

I note Chaddy's comment earlier that "Brereton did fine for me, wide". I thought he was useless and I do not comprehend how that view of Chaddy's is possible!

Edited by 47er

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing is, you're posting in the Aston Villa individual match thread. I have not seen anyone say it is a terrible result, a bad performance or anything like that. I have seen people comment both positively and negatively on aspects of the team performance, on individual performance, on refereeing decisions, on team selection and on substitutions, which is exactly what I would expect.

It isnt the "how have Rovers done in the last 12 months" thread otherwise I have no doubt that there would be universal positivity. So many people seem insistent on creating an atmosphere on here whereby because the club is clearly on an upward trajectory, that every bit of criticism, no matter if it is warranted or not, should be met with hostility.

Expressing disappointment in a last minute equaliser doesnt have to then be manipulated into unhappiness at the overall current situation of the club, or towards the managers future, or anything like that. Posts like this just take peoples opinions over individual, isolated incidents and take them out of context to make people seem unreasonable.

Go onto a Man City messageboard, a Barcelona one, whatever, when they drop points or when certain players under perform, they will also criticise that. Again, doesnt mean they think the clubs gone to wrack and ruin.

Please can you quote the "absolute load of tripe" that you have seen that is the reason that many members have been driven away from the messageboard.

Like.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Refs are far too inconsistent at any level. Reed foul wasn't a foul considering what he let Villa get a away on Dack and Graham. But the ref had a soft spot on Grealish. 

Brereton isnt match fit at all. And he isnt a winger but came on and had an impact. And I didnt speak to you in patronising manner so please dont lie. 

Disagree on your Graham and Dack assessment. Graham did nothing until Brereton came on. Thought Dack try to make things happens and busy on the ball. 

In my humble opinion Brereton hardly  put a foot right and had no impact whatsoever. The tactical switch may have given us some impetus but Palmer or Rothwell would have carried more threat.

Hopefully he'll get a proper chance to show what he can do up front soon.

Edited by Hasta

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

I agree re Palmer. Baffling that he didn't come on for Armstrong. Equally baffling, if Graham is going to play the whole game, why bring another striker on for the sake of it?

Its good to have so many options but it has to be managed properly.

I note Chaddy's comment earlier that "Brereton did fine for me, wide". I thought he was useless and I do not comprehend how that view of Chaddy's is possible!

Agreed. Two things I remember reading as a common theme when looking through the opinions of Forest fans is that he throws himself to the ground a little too much, and that he is totally ineffective from a wide position. Both of which I felt were prevalent in his cameo yesterday.

It screamed of bringing him on because of who he is, rather than bringing on someone best suited to play the role that Brereton was brought on to do. If we needed someone to play a wide role, in the absence of a winger, surely Palmer and Rothwell were much better suited.

Brereton looked lively a few times when the ball dropped to him inside the box but like a fish out of water out wide and yes I know he's only 19 but he's very lightweight I thought we were buying a lad with physical attributes ?

We know TMs obsession playing strikers wide just to get them some mins, Armstrong copes but it did Samuel no favours at all so I hope we don't see a similar pattern here. Yesterday yet again was crying out for height and physique in the box attacking balls........

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lets cut out the conspiracy nonsense, the ref was against us and for the opponent rubbish. Grealish used his body well and Reed barged into him clumsily. The ref didnt have a soft spot for Grealish. As for the other 2 main decisions, both us and Villa got a decision in the penalty non-award and the 'offisde' goal that went for/against us. 

He didnt have an impact bar a slight flick at the start of the melee following superb work my Mulgrew, leading to the goal. Im sure he will in time but not yesterday and not playing in that position.

Youve basically agreed on Dack, he did try and make things happen, he always does, but it usually wasnt coming off for him, attempts at nutmegs and dribbles not quite coming off. He was still influential but not to the same success as usual, apart from the crucial goal. He was never man of the match.

The ref give a foul every time Grealish but never when Graham was. Never said was a conspiracy against did I? 

We had agree to disagree on Brereton and his impact. 

Dack was my man of the match. Plus I did praise other players aswell. Well 16 other posters agree with me why dont you ask them about why they thought that aswell? 

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

In my humble opinion Brereton hardly  put a foot right and had no impact whatsoever. The tactical switch may have given us some impetus but Palmer or Rothwell would have carried more threat.

Hopefully he'll get a proper chance to show what he can do up front soon.

Well we have to agree to disagree. I like Rothwell alot. But at the minute not a fan of Palmer but hopefully he prove me wrong. 

Can I just point out that refs are regularly assessed. My cousins husband, formerly premier league assistant ref is now an assessor. So whoever said refs need to be improved, they are trying. Perhaps we need more transparency and openess from refs. In rugby you can hear what the ref is saying so you know what he's thinking. If refs fronted up more to the public we might appreciate better where they are coming from

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Can I just point out that refs are regularly assessed. My cousins husband, formerly premier league assistant ref is now an assessor. So whoever said refs need to be improved, they are trying. Perhaps we need more transparency and openess from refs. In rugby you can hear what the ref is saying so you know what he's thinking. If refs fronted up more to the public we might appreciate better where they are coming from

Im sure they are but my point is more that it bugs me, as understandable as it is, when supporters criticise referees by suggesting or implying that they are biased whilst turning a blind eye to incorrect decisions that go in our favour.

I think maybe interviewing them afterwards has been done on occasion before and I take on board your communication point but if we got abad decision against us for example, I dont think that the referee coming out after and admitting his mistake would be of any consolation.

Dack motm for me as quite simply without him we don’t score and lose the match. He maybe wasn’t as effective as some other games but he had 2,3 players on him at times which should allow others to bear fruit. Armstrong just isn’t cutting it at champ level, he is a concern for me going forward. Smallwood isn’t a starter, please put reed in there from now on, Smallwood fine to come on and see out a game which sadly we didn’t do Saturday. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im sure they are but my point is more that it bugs me, as understandable as it is, when supporters criticise referees by suggesting or implying that they are biased whilst turning a blind eye to incorrect decisions that go in our favour.

I think maybe interviewing them afterwards has been done on occasion before and I take on board your communication point but if we got abad decision against us for example, I dont think that the referee coming out after and admitting his mistake would be of any consolation.

The standard of refs in English is poor and should be invest in. 

The ref was baised to Grealish all game. But did make a mistake to each team which ive already said

14 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I went for Graham. Thought he was excellent personally with his hold up play, flick ons and knock downs. Saw a few people on the match thread suggest he was poor. Think they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

Did the ugly stuff well. There is a marked difference in his attitude and work rate to what it was a little over 12 months too. We certainly need a player from his mould as soon as possible for back up.

Dack had a glorious moment in the final third on the LHS in the first half and his goal just proved how good he is as an innate talent. Thought Villa did a good job on him and did well to keep him fairly quiet. That said, the number of free kicks he wins is important.

Nyambe gets better and better. What is interesting is he isn’t being targeted by opponents quite as much in the way he was last season, which he deserves praise for and I hope Bell will grow in stature and confidence in the way our no.2 has. If Nyambe can improve his aerial presence we have a truly appreciating asset on our hands.

Reed was superb (other than the free kick). Looks like a dynamo. Love the way he looks forward and seeks to use the ball quickly. Villa felt his presence for sure.

Whilst my family and I left gutted at their equaliser, there were loads of positives in the performance and much to be optimistic about when you compare where we are now in comparison with 2 years ago.

RIP Owen Coyle

Three cheers for Tony Mowbray & Mark Venus

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Reed was superb (other than the free kick). Looks like a dynamo. Love the way he looks forward and seeks to use the ball quickly. Villa felt his presence for sure.

Yeah, totally. He was a livewire. Shame he had to go and blot his copybook with that stupid foul at the end, but apart from that I really liked what I saw.

Reed has to start - he is like Smallwood after 10 redbulls. Needs to cut out the needless fouls though. The first was taking one for the team but the second was needless.

I like how he got involved in attacking areas as well and was a big part of the Dack goal.

Would hope that this move is towards a more permanent deal.

Got to say i thought Grealish was poor, he should have left as he looks to be stagnating there or perhaps being found out to be not all that good. I know TM has a hard job to pick an 11 these days, which is a good thing of course but I feel for Joe Rothwell... Lad was given a chance to prove himself and did more than that, technically he's arguably the best player we have after Dack. Think he would have been better in place of Armstrong and then brought Arma on early in 2nd half for Graham.   

Picking an 11 now is a real headache, I can't remember the last time i've said that.

21 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I went for Graham. Thought he was excellent personally with his hold up play, flick ons and knock downs. Saw a few people on the match thread suggest he was poor. Think they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

Was funny how Graham was continually pushed in the back but got little from the referee - however Grealish goes down easily a gets a free kick - who would have thought it

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Reed has to start - he is like Smallwood after 10 redbulls. Needs to cut out the needless fouls though. The first was taking one for the team but the second was needless.

I like how he got involved in attacking areas as well and was a big part of the Dack goal.

Would hope that this move is towards a more permanent deal.

Was impressed with Reed - the ease with which he covered ground was in stark contrast to the more ponderous Smallwood.

4 hours ago, Neal said:

Got to say i thought Grealish was poor, he should have left as he looks to be stagnating there or perhaps being found out to be not all that good. I know TM has a hard job to pick an 11 these days, which is a good thing of course but I feel for Joe Rothwell... Lad was given a chance to prove himself and did more than that, technically he's arguably the best player we have after Dack. Think he would have been better in place of Armstrong and then brought Arma on early in 2nd half for Graham.   

Picking an 11 now is a real headache, I can't remember the last time i've said that.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rothwell start in the next match instead of Armstrong - especially as we are away from home.

IMO you can see what TM is trying to do - while showing some loyalty to the players that got promoted, and also retaining the same work ethic - he is acquiring midfield players that are more suited to possession football and slowly introducing them to the first team.

8 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rothwell start in the next match instead of Armstrong - especially as we are away from home.

IMO you can see what TM is trying to do - while showing some loyalty to the players that got promoted, and also retaining the same work ethic - he is acquiring midfield players that are more suited to possession football and slowly introducing them to the first team.

Can understand him leaving in the players with the work ethic as it sets a standard on the pitch for the rest. Think he's smart enough to use the closeness of these 2 games as an excuse to make a few changes. Wouldn't be surprised to see Reed, Palmer or Rothwell come in. Graham will be on the bench on Tuesday I recon, and he will either put Armstrong or Brereton through the middle.