SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County vs Rovers, Tues 18th Sept

• Backroom

Name: Derby County FC
Stadium: Pride Park
Manager: Super Frankie Lampard
Form: Pretty good, 12pts from 7 games.
Strip: Laughably boring compared to our hallowed halves.

Derby County are famously a perennial second division team in modern times, being humiliated during their brief forays into the Premier League (I'm looking at you, 'Giles Barnes').

Derby are generally a club that hovers around the play-off places, while our season in this league is (to my mind) one with aims to hit midtable.

Their history consists of being notable as one of our fellow founder members of the Football League in 1888, and among the select ten clubs to have competed in every season of the English football league system.

The club's home colours have been black and white since the 1890s. It appropriated its nickname The Rams, a tribute to its links with the First Regiment of Derby Militia, which took a ram as its mascot and the song "The Derby Ram" as its regimental song, at the same time.

Their honours consist of 2 First Divisions, 4 Second Divisions, 1 Third Division, 1 FA Cup, and a Charity Shield. Now while we have a smug giggle at their comparatively crap list of honours compared to ours, here are some interesting notes:

We played Derby in the first game 125th Anniversary season of the FL, as fellow founder members in 2013; a game treasured in the minds of Rovers fans as being one of the few games Leon Best made himself useful before turning out to be a complete arsewipe. Aside from that, I have no real memory of our matches against them.

Players in common:

Andy Todd, Jay McEveley, Kasey Palmer, Frank Fielding... I know there are many others, but I'm struggling.

I did ask a Derby supporting pal of mine, Tim, to answer some questions. He answered them at 3am Sunday morning, which may explain his bizarre answers:

1. What do you think of the season so far, and what are your aims?
We're shit, how could we lose to bloody Rotherham. What a waste. Relegation is looming!

2. Who are your star players? Anyone at Rovers you're scared of?
Star players?? Ha! Lampard should dust his boots off and teach our lot a thing or two! Honestly, Rotherham? Frigging Rotherham?? No wonder the missus left me last night, that loss left me a quivering wreck!

3. Predictions for the match vs Rovers?
How can I get her back Mike? I'm a shell without her!

I'm sure he doesn't read this mb, but nonetheless I share all our thanks to Tim for his remarkable insight. Personally, I think we'll get another draw. They'll be looking for a reaction after their result this weekend, but we have fight in us:

1-1.

• Like 2

• J*B pinned this topic

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Evans

Bennett Dack Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Smallwood, Williams, Brereton, Rothwell, Armstrong, Downing

Think Palmer deserves to come in over Armstrong, and I don't think Graham deserves to surrender his shirt yet.

Central midfield is a judgement call to partner Evans, I have chosen Reed for his energy but I suspect Smallwood to play and he did improve yesterday.

Very tough game and we will need to be on it for 90 minutes.

I “like” your post Mike E.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Smallwood

Bennett Dack Palmer

Brereton 

Time to give the young lad a go, and Palmer a chance to impress in front of his old fans. Give Evans a rest, think Reed and Smallwood would give us a good foothold.

Snap yer hand off for a point right now.

Still remember that goal when we had the red kit on, when we where playing awful and derby where flying. We where 1-0 up , they equalised and it felt like it was another one of those days and trips home that had become the norm, then Graham scored that goal, where it seemed all the team touched the ball. Great passing goal and one of my favorites. 

As for Tuesday are we playing a wounded animal or a team low on confidence. I still haven't worked out if derby are as spineless as they seem or are just waiting to put the afterburners on. I fancy a 1-1 draw with Armstrong to score for us. Reed must start and I would like rothwell to get on the pitch at some point. Won't be going to this one so red button for me. COYB

Edited by Oldgregg86

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Name: Derby County FC
Stadium: Pride Park
Manager: Super Frankie Lampard
Form: Pretty good, 12pts from 7 games.
Strip: Laughably boring compared to our hallowed halves.

Derby County are famously a perennial second division team in modern times, being humiliated during their brief forays into the Premier League (I'm looking at you, 'Giles Barnes').

Derby are generally a club that hovers around the play-off places, while our season in this league is (to my mind) one with aims to hit midtable.

Their history consists of being notable as one of our fellow founder members of the Football League in 1888, and among the select ten clubs to have competed in every season of the English football league system.

The club's home colours have been black and white since the 1890s. It appropriated its nickname The Rams, a tribute to its links with the First Regiment of Derby Militia, which took a ram as its mascot and the song "The Derby Ram" as its regimental song, at the same time.

Their honours consist of 2 First Divisions, 4 Second Divisions, 1 Third Division, 1 FA Cup, and a Charity Shield. Now while we have a smug giggle at their comparatively crap list of honours compared to ours, here are some interesting notes:

We played Derby in the first game 125th Anniversary season of the FL, as fellow founder members in 2013; a game treasured in the minds of Rovers fans as being one of the few games Leon Best made himself useful before turning out to be a complete arsewipe. Aside from that, I have no real memory of our matches against them.

Players in common:

Andy Todd, Jay McEveley, Kasey Palmer, Frank Fielding... I know there are many others, but I'm struggling.

I did ask a Derby supporting pal of mine, Tim, to answer some questions. He answered them at 3am Sunday morning, which may explain his bizarre answers:

1. What do you think of the season so far, and what are your aims?
We're shit, how could we lose to bloody Rotherham. What a waste. Relegation is looming!

2. Who are your star players? Anyone at Rovers you're scared of?
Star players?? Ha! Lampard should dust his boots off and teach our lot a thing or two! Honestly, Rotherham? Frigging Rotherham?? No wonder the missus left me last night, that loss left me a quivering wreck!

3. Predictions for the match vs Rovers?
How can I get her back Mike? I'm a shell without her!

I'm sure he doesn't read this mb, but nonetheless I share all our thanks to Tim for his remarkable insight. Personally, I think we'll get another draw. They'll be looking for a reaction after their result this weekend, but we have fight in us:

1-1.

We really need that laughing emoji back. I'm glad she dumped him!!

Draws are subjective and we don't want to just going for one or throwing another hard fought 3 points in the bin but yet again you'd take one here. Probably the hardest game so far but Rovers being Rovers it's just the type we'll go and win.

Be positive, get amongst them and have a go they might just have an off night good teams do and this is the Championship where anyone can beat anyone and that has to be the mindset.

If I had my last quid on it though i'd go..

Derby 3   Rovers  1

Our 1st set of tricky fixtures continues with a difficult road trip.  Not sure how much them losing Lawrence will effect them.  Also what are the repercussions of Franks Lampard's dismissal at the Rotherham United game?  I'll take a point if offered before the match.  Derby will be in the mix at the end of the season.  I spoke with Chris Parson's about the buildup to the match to get a Derby point of view. 

• Like 1

I'd always take an away point , especially in this division. Some hard decisions for Mowbray to make, does he persist with Evans and Smallwood. Can Evans start two  games in four days ? Same goes for Graham ? Can we play Bennett out wide with Armstrong out wide on the other flank ? Armstrong hasn't set the World on fire yet. You can have one grafter out wide but the other wide man has got to contribute more in attack. Maybe Palmer will take his place. Will he risk starting with the £6 million man up front ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Armstrong can't play up alone. Brereton should play up

Did he not play up top against Hull?

I'd disagree at any rate. Away from home with the home team pushing up would leave the ball over the top or into space. I think AA is perfect for that role in a team that counter-attacks. 

At home teams sit deep against us and so we have to hoof (sorry, long ball) it to Graham to get up the pitch because we can't play through them. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

Mogga on Reed:-

"I still feel as though he needs to understand the position I want him to play. At times he’s by the right-hand corner flag putting crosses in but we need him in the middle of the pitch to stop counter-attacks and feed our wide player"

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16882410.boss-on-the-challenge-facing-harrison-reed-after-rovers-debut/?ref=mac

.As old Blueboy pointed out in the match thread Reed doesn't look a like-for-like replacement for Smallwood/Evans and that as soon as Smallwood went off we lost control of the midfield. I'm the pundit's pundit?

Mogga doesn't like his central midfielders leaving the centre circle!

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mogga on Reed:-

"I still feel as though he needs to understand the position I want him to play. At times he’s by the right-hand corner flag putting crosses in but we need him in the middle of the pitch to stop counter-attacks and feed our wide player"

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16882410.boss-on-the-challenge-facing-harrison-reed-after-rovers-debut/?ref=mac

.As old Blueboy pointed out in the match thread Reed doesn't look a like-for-like replacement for Smallwood/Evans and that as soon as Smallwood went off we lost control of the midfield. I'm the pundit's pundit?

Mogga doesn't like his central midfielders leaving the centre circle!

Hopefully there are times where we dont need Evans, Smallwood and Bennett in the same team and Reeds natural instinct to get box to box will be encouraged rather than reigned in.

The aforementioned quote is surely referring to when he played a big part in the goal, after recycling a set play then bringing it forward before laying it to Mulgrew.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hopefully there are times where we dont need Evans, Smallwood and Bennett in the same team and Reeds natural instinct to get box to box will be encouraged rather than reigned in.

The aforementioned quote is surely referring to when he played a big part in the goal, after recycling a set play then bringing it forward before laying it to Mulgrew.

Whatever it is referring to Mogga obviously doesn't want it happening again. 

1 minute ago, Colt Seavers said:

Palmer will be up for starting this one as he will know Derby well.

I would bring Garns back for a guaranteed 5 (five) goal haul.

Thirty five years ago to the month ?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/match_of_the_decade/10456956.Match_of_the__80s__Blackburn_Rovers/

… and then lost 6-0 the week after. Typical bloody Rovers!!?

Tough one to call. Derby are going to be one of those teams that is great one week but terrible the next. Pride Park is one of the toughest away games in this league, though, so I would take a point. Sadly, I think Derby may be too strong for us. 

There's no chance Graham will start this one after he played the full 90 on Saturday. I would expect AA to go up top with Palmer coming in on the left. I thought Reed looked excellent when he came on at the weekend, but from reading those comments from TM it doesn't sound as though he will be starting him just yet. I'm not convinced at all that Smallwood is good enough for this level, but you can never fault his desire and effort. Brereton looks a little short on match fitness and confidence so I don't expect him to start for a while yet. The one thing you don't want to do is throw him in before he's ready and then everyone writes him off as a dud before he's even properly got up to speed. 

Rothwell is very unlucky not to be in the starting line up, he's been excellent every time he's played. I think the problem with Rothwell is that I'm unsure what position he actually plays; he's full of energy and running but perhaps his positioning is not disciplined enough for TM to start him. 

• Like 2