Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County vs Rovers, Tues 18th Sept

Raya

Nyambe           Lenihan                 Mulgrew             Williams

Reed       Evans       Bennett

Dack                      Palmer              

Brereton

Subs:Leutwiler, Bell, Rothwell, Smallwood, Graham, Armstrong, Travis

I think Reed deserves a start after an impressive cameo in Saturday. I'd bring Palmer in for Armstrong as one he may have a point to prove against Derby and two Armstrong just looks to lightweight at the moment. Given Graham played the whole game Saturday I would say it is very unlikely he will start this one so lets see what Brereton can do starting in his favoured role. A shame I had to leave Rothwell out but away from home where we are likely to have less possession I've gone with Bennett for his extra work rate.

Edited by Ewood Ace

16 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Tough one to call. Derby are going to be one of those teams that is great one week but terrible the next. Pride Park is one of the toughest away games in this league, though, so I would take a point. Sadly, I think Derby may be too strong for us. 

There's no chance Graham will start this one after he played the full 90 on Saturday. I would expect AA to go up top with Palmer coming in on the left. I thought Reed looked excellent when he came on at the weekend, but from reading those comments from TM it doesn't sound as though he will be starting him just yet. I'm not convinced at all that Smallwood is good enough for this level, but you can never fault his desire and effort. Brereton looks a little short on match fitness and confidence so I don't expect him to start for a while yet. The one thing you don't want to do is throw him in before he's ready and then everyone writes him off as a dud before he's even properly got up to speed. 

Rothwell is very unlucky not to be in the starting line up, he's been excellent every time he's played. I think the problem with Rothwell is that I'm unsure what position he actually plays; he's full of energy and running but perhaps his positioning is not disciplined enough for TM to start him. 

I would expect Derby to line up with the following;

Carson

Bogle   Keogh Tomori Forsyth

Johnson   Huddlestone Mount  Fozefoon

Bennett

Waghorn

Lawrence is suspended after being sent off last week, probably their best player. Looking at that, Fozefoon is a good player, Waghorn can be a handful but nothing better than Graham, their team isn't that great, Johnson and Huddlestone both past their best. Wilson, Marriott, Nugent and Ollson decent for them, who've been on the bench a lot. But I would fancy Dack and Graham getting in their side, as well as Mulgrew and our full backs and other who if they perform to expectation like Brereton and Rothwell, Palmer possibly also seen as they wanted him again. So all in all, we shouldn't be going into this thinking Derby are a far better side, however like Bristol if we defend stupidly we could concede a few.

Edited by AAK

I'd go

Raya

Nyambe            Lenihan         Mulgew             Bell

Reed            Smallwood or Evans*

Bennett                      Dack                        Rothwell

Armstrong

*Depends who is good to go again both got taken off

Bench. Leutwiler, Williams, Smallwood or Evans, Conway, Palmer, Brereton, Graham (Nuttall if Graham is rested)

• Backroom

Armstrong would be a little fortunate to keep his place, he’s been awful the last two games, wouldn’t be adverse to see him given a crack up top though.

Rothwell and his energy would be useful I think in this one as well.

51 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Two good poachers goals there. A great kit with proper shorts not like today's beach wear. Davison was looking handy for them until Keeley quietened him.

Classic 80's kit.

Classic 80's chant from the Blackburn End 35 seconds into the video too. 

Probably best not to suggest resurrecting that one for our modern audiences!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Still remember that goal when we had the red kit on, when we where playing awful and derby where flying. We where 1-0 up , they equalised and it felt like it was another one of those days and trips home that had become the norm, then Graham scored that goal, where it seemed all the team touched the ball. Great passing goal and one of my favorites. 

As for Tuesday are we playing a wounded animal or a team low on confidence. I still haven't worked out if derby are as spineless as they seem or are just waiting to put the afterburners on. I fancy a 1-1 draw with Armstrong to score for us. Reed must start and I would like rothwell to get on the pitch at some point. Won't be going to this one so red button for me. COYB

Don't think Derby were flying on that occasion. Nigel Pearson was their manager at the time and they had a terrible start to the season, shortly after we beat them he had a big fall out and was placed on gardening leave and McClaren returned and dragged them into mid-table before himself being sacked and replaced by Gary Rowett.

One of our rare victories under Coyle.

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't think Derby were flying on that occasion. Nigel Pearson was their manager at the time and they had a terrible start to the season, shortly after we beat them he had a big fall out and was placed on gardening leave and McClaren returned and dragged them into mid-table before himself being sacked and replaced by Gary Rowett.

One of our rare victories under Coyle.

Your probably right. I just remember turning up and thinking we would get hammered 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Your probably right. I just remember turning up and thinking we would get hammered 

That was happening every game that season lol. It might actually have been our first victory if memory serves me correctly. We'd been thumped against Norwich and Wigan and humiliated at Cardiff before that.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

500 tickets still sold for Derby despite red button.

I couldnt imagine us taking that many more midweek if there was no live coverage. Just shows that there is a hardcore that will follow the team regardless.

Derby away is one of those games. We never seem to take that many, and for some reason (intentional?) we always seem to go there midweek. Last 3 or 4 times now we've only had 500 or so there for the midweekers. As you say I think the majority of those 500 are the ones who go to every game or most games regardless of the ticket price, weather, tv coverage etc.

They've had some sub one thousands up here and a couple of not many more in recent times when things weren't going well for them. Big club but shows no one is immune to bad ownership and highlights how well our away support has actually stood up since Vs and partners rocked up.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Its important for us to go there looking to press and attack. They like to play it out at times naively from the back and with players like Keogh they can often be caught in dangerous areas.

I would expect to us to play similar to the Brentford performance at home. Playing either Armstrong or Brereton as the main striker. Graham wont be able to start to fitness and 2 games in 4 days isnt something he can do now from the start

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Two good poachers goals there. A great kit with proper shorts not like today's beach wear. Davison was looking handy for them until Keeley quietened him.

That tackle by Killer permanently damaged Davison and was never the same player again. Surprised nobody mentioning THE play off semi finals.

To Tuesday. Derby are great if you let them get at you but play tough and high tempo against them and they struggle.

We have played that way this season so let's see if we can go again.

Cannot make a prediction but the fact I think we have a chance of winning it speaks volumes about what Mowbray is achieving with the lads.