BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Derby County vs Rovers, Tues 18th Sept

• Backroom

Another 1-1 I think, would be happy not to lose and delighted to win this one!

Rothwell and Brereton could be very useful from the bench but it’s imperative we don’t have a sloppy start. 

• Like 1

Palmer, Dack, and Armstrong will be a handful for them. I don’t think their defence is the most mobile; I can see those three players causing real problems. Equally, I can see their front players causing our defence problems. 

Williams at CB is a bit of a worry and I’m not a huge fan of the Smallwood/Evans combination at this level; I think we have better options in there. 

I think home advantage may prove to be the crucial factor here. 

Conway and Williams......I hope Saint Tony hasn't dropped a huge one here!!

What does Rothwell have to do to get a game, and Reed looked ready for a start on Saturday.

We desperately need a CH if Williams is our first option.

Come on Rovers and Tony, prove us wrong please.

Edited by Doug

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, that doesn't look like a winning team I'm afraid. Last season's team plus Palmer minus Charlie.

why? These players have shown they can hold their own in this league. 

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Conway over Brereton or Rothwell is an odd one for me, think he’s been shoe horned in to wear the armband 

I think Mowbray has mention before the way he like to play 2 and half forwards. Conway defensive will be better. I would have prefer Brereton up with Armstrong and Rothwell wide if Bennett couldn't start the game and Palmer on bench. Lets hope Palmer, Dack and Armstrong all link up well

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Worrying side. Mulgrew a huge blow and playing Williams out of position seems a strange choice, as does Conway over Rothwell.

That said, im not convinced that the Derby line up is as bas as it could have been.

Williams has played centre half here and Bristol City so don't the comment above. Agree on Rothwell point. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Worrying side. Mulgrew a huge blow and playing Williams out of position seems a strange choice, as does Conway over Rothwell.

That said, im not convinced that the Derby line up is as bas as it could have been.

In  one breath an “out of position” Williams is an issue, but putting a winger on the wing as opposed to Rothwell is a strange choice? I find that confusing. Surely you can see subjective reasons for choosing either?

I would sooner see Bennett and Mulgrew in, but I think Conway deserves a start now and then - plus he takes decent set pieces - something we will miss with Charlie out.

Couldve picked 3/4 different starting line ups which shows the growth in depth this season, as for up front- when we have less of the ball it probably makes sense to put Armstrong upfront for opportunities to counter in behind.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Tonight's team is a Third Division line-up .....Mowbray's loyalty to last year's side is wearing a bit thin

For me, the notion that some of our players are “third division” is wearing a bit thin, especially when it’s obvious that most of these players have been performing above expectations thus far this season.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Tonight's team is a Third Division line-up .....Mowbray's loyalty to last year's side is wearing a bit thin

what a load of rubbish Jim. I'm getting abit boring seeing the same old posters still posting this tripe when these players have show they can hold their own and beat good teams like Brentford. 

1 minute ago, Biz said:

For me, the notion that some of our players are “third division” is wearing a bit thin, especially when it’s obvious that most of these players have been performing above expectations thus far this season.

Agreed. I think it's BS that a promoted side somehow can't perform unless there are 8 new signings on the pitch. A lot of these players not only did the business last season, but also were in unfortunately cracking form in the Championship under Mowbray.

Edited by CD_93

Just now, CD_93 said:

Agreed. I think it's BS that a promoted side somehow can't perform. A lot of these players not only did the business last season, but also were in unfortunately cracking form when they went down under Mowbray.

Stand still in football and you lose. The teams needs to evolve and improve. He's signed the players and he needs to start playing them 

• Like 3

Just now, Biz said:

In  one breath an “out of position” Williams is an issue, but putting a winger on the wing as opposed to Rothwell is a strange choice? I find that confusing. Surely you can see subjective reasons for choosing either?

I would sooner see Bennett and Mulgrew in, but I think Conway deserves a start now and then - plus he takes decent set pieces - something we will miss with Charlie out.

Couldve picked 3/4 different starting line ups which shows the growth in depth this season, as for up front- when we have less of the ball it probably makes sense to put Armstrong upfront for opportunities to counter in behind.

Williams is never a centre back, @chaddyrovers says he has played there before and I know he did in a 3 at Bristol City but when played in a central 2 last season he really struggled I felt, when we had a bit of a wobble around the time of the Plymouth defeat. That said, I dont think that Downing is going to be good enough at this level either, so I appreciate that its a tough choice, in an area where we really needed to strengthen in the summer.

Understand what you are saying in terms of hypocrisy but Conway isnt a competent Championship winger. Hes been chosen to protect his full back but Rothwell has shown his ability to graft and also unlike Conway, who should never be starting games at this level anymore, he can also add something going forward. I think Palmer and Dack are superior set piece takers too.

Based on my personal expectations, I wouldnt say that the team is performing ABOVE expectations. Based on the results and the fixtures so far, we are about on par.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Williams is never a centre back, @chaddyrovers says he has played there before and I know he did in a 3 at Bristol City but when played in a central 2 last season he really struggled I felt, when we had a bit of a wobble around the time of the Plymouth defeat. That said, I dont think that Downing is going to be good enough at this level either, so I appreciate that its a tough choice, in an area where we really needed to strengthen in the summer.

Understand what you are saying in terms of hypocrisy but Conway isnt a competent Championship winger. Hes been chosen to protect his full back but Rothwell has shown his ability to graft and also unlike Conway, who should never be starting games at this level anymore, he can also add something going forward. I think Palmer and Dack are superior set piece takers too.

Based on my personal expectations, I wouldnt say that the team is performing ABOVE expectations. Based on the results and the fixtures so far, we are about on par.

I personally think Williams is more suited to a centreback role than a full back, especially in a three. I know this is obviously not the perfect replacement but it makes some sense, especially when I’m quite sure TM likes his left footed/right footed two in a 4, thus it makes sense since we never signed Baeur and Rodwell isn’t ready yet. It’s hardly what I’d call baffling. Maybe a bit frustrating because we’ve not the same level replacement as (arguably) our best player and captain waiting in the wings... (sarcasm by the way!)

Equally - Conway might be getting on but the judgement he “shouldn’t be starting games at this level” seems extremely harsh since his performances should decide that, don’t recall him starting a game this season and stinking it out. I also don’t get the assumption it’s for defensive reasons, wouldn’t Bennett be exactly the same thing? He gets a chance whilst Bennett/Mulgrew is out - you may dismiss his set piece ability but ask Rudy Gestede what he thinks of CC’s delivery. If he’s crap, he’s pulled at half time or on 60 for another option. You might see it as pointless but there’s also an argument for an older/wiser head since the aforementioned two “captains” ain’t starting.

If you go by Jim’s idea, that we’ve a poor team (you say it yourself a couple of ours aren’t good enough at this level) then how on earth do you get too is being about “on par” despite picking up a decent point haul and performing well overall so far? Not just my opinion, look at the stats/ratings/opinions in the media.

I’m quite happy to accept you’ve every right to an opinion, but that doesn’t mean I can’t think you’re being extremely over critical of seemingly  anything you can get your teeth into!

Obviously, the result matters more than either of our opinions on the implied “strangeness” of the lineup so COYB!

1-2