BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bell vs Williams

Because of Williams' injury , Bell finally got the run of starts that a few of us had been waiting eagerly for.

Now that Williams back to full fitness, do you think that Bell has done enough to keep his place?

I don't go to games so I know in the eyes of some that precludes me from having an opinion on it. Fair enough, to a degree, but regular game-goers, what's your take on it?

However, going on the games I've seen online, I think Bell has done enough to warrant his continued presence in the starting 11. I thought he looked a threat when he was pushed further up the field after Williams came on. 

My caveat here is that I didn't see a kick of the Bristol City capitulation, so I honestly don't know how he performed there.

• Moderation Lead

I like quick players out wide, so I'd always go with Bell over Lethal Dezzle tbh. If we took pace out of the equation however, I don't think there's much in it.

Me and Biz were speculating about the need for our full backs to be more adventurous going forward after the game on Saturday. Something which I feel they could both improve on.

Thought Bell had a good game against Villa, people questioned his ability to get forward but I recall him causing them plenty of problems in the 2nd half. Personally, I favour Bell's pace and the fact he's an out and out left back over Williams who I feel is a better at centre half. I watched Bell at Hull and his pace was crucial a few times recovering to get a block in to stop crosses, something I think Williams doesn't do enough of. Williams always seem to be too far away from his man to stop the cross and puts us under pressure. All that said, I still feel Williams is a decent player and wouldn't be gutted if he was first choice but Bell gives us more going forward and is still growing into being our first choice left back so can still get even better. 

• Like 1

Bell looks a threat going forward but, when playing 4 at the back, the first job is to defend. I just think Williams is a better defender generally and offers us a bit more in the air which we need due to our centre back pairing. 

However it's a fairly even call. I don't sigh with despair when I see Bell's name on the team sheet.

I've always preferred Bell but simply because Williams is a player I've never warmed to. Bristol City got rid of him when they began to have bigger ambitions than just surviving in the league and I don't think he's done enough to stay as our full back in the coming seasons. Bell has potential to improve and offers far more attacking. He's found wanting sometimes defensively but balancing the attributes of either player I think he's the better of the two.

Who was our last solid left back? Olson? 

Bell for me every day of the week.  However Mowbray seems to have the same blind spot with Williams that he has with Smallwood, namely that if they are fit, they will play. How many could have honestly predicted he would bring Williams on against Villa?  Not many I'd wager.

I respect Mowbray tremendously but he can be frustratingly bloody minded. He couldn't wait to bring him on!

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Bell for me every day of the week.  However Mowbray seems to have the same blind spot with Williams that he has with Smallwood, namely that if they are fit, they will play. How many could have honestly predicted he would bring Williams on against Villa?  Not many I'd wager.

I respect Mowbray tremendously but he can be frustratingly bloody minded. He couldn't wait to bring him on!

To be fair that allowed us to push the wingback further forward  which instantly led to a period of pressure which we scored from. I think that was a shrewd tactical switch rather than just getting Williams's on the pitch.

Bell for me.

Think I've posted this somewhere similar but i'll repost it. when you break it down I think Bell is the better left back.

Bell is better going forward, better dribbler and crosser of the ball.

Bell is quicker.

Bell is better in possession IMO.

I believe Bell is a better 1v1 defender than Williams is, I think Williams gets skinned quite a lot.

I often think Williams gets caught out of position a bit so not sure there's much difference there

Williams is better in the air.

Williams is more likely to put his body on the line for the cause.

When going forward, Williams will underlap more and drives inside with the ball, whereas Bell sticks wider and can go on the outside 

When we signed Williams I remember Andy Cryer saying on twitter that he did well for Bristol City as a left sided CB in a back 3 but wasn't good enough as a left back or a centre back. Thats interesting for me as I see him as something similar, maybe being more of a Centre Back than a Left Back.

With Bell the main criticism i've heard around me is that he doesn't get forward enough, but considering that he's sort of readjusting to playing in a back 4 having spent the last few years as a wing back in a 5 I can cut him some slack on this.

Since Bell has come into the team he's done well and would be unlucky to dropped but Tony does seem to like Williams so we'll have to wait and see. I'd certainly stick with Bell and Williams is good to have on the bench as he covers two positions.

• Like 2

I think Williams get a harsh time on here, he's a solid full back defensively and make a some goals going forward. Bell had probably his best performance for us against Villa, but to me he just seems a bit dozy and has too may lapses in concentration, also when going forward he seems afraid to cross the ball instead he stops his runs and come back inside. For me Williams would be my first choice as he from what I have seen from Bell so far Williams if better defensively and going forward.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

With Bell the main criticism i've heard around me is that he doesn't get forward enough, but considering that he's sort of readjusting to playing in a back 4 having spent the last few years as a wing back in a 5 I can cut him some slack on this.

He'll be under instruction from Mowbray, the same as Nyambe, not to venture forward too often. Bell won't be in charge of when he goes forward.

It should be pretty clear now that Mowbray puts safety first when setting up a team. 

12 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've always preferred Bell but simply because Williams is a player I've never warmed to. Bristol City got rid of him when they began to have bigger ambitions than just surviving in the league and I don't think he's done enough to stay as our full back in the coming seasons. Bell has potential to improve and offers far more attacking. He's found wanting sometimes defensively but balancing the attributes of either player I think he's the better of the two.

Who was our last solid left back? Olson? 

You can't judge a player because his former club got rid of him. Its about what they do for YOUR club, and Williams has done little wrong at Rovers I think.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think Williams get a harsh time on here, he's a solid full back defensively and make a some goals going forward. Bell had probably his best performance for us against Villa, but to me he just seems a bit dozy and has too may lapses in concentration, also when going forward he seems afraid to cross the ball instead he stops his runs and come back inside. For me Williams would be my first choice as he from what I have seen from Bell so far Williams if better defensively and going forward.

Difference is we're basing our opinion of Bell in a better standard league than Williams who we've seen most of in league 1. Besides, Bell was voted ahead of Williams in league 1 team of the season.

Edited by Neal

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Difference is we're basing our opinion of Bell in a better standard league than Williams who we've seen most of in league 1. Besides, Bell was voted ahead of Williams in league 1 team of the season.

Did Derek Williams not make more than half of his appearances so far for Rovers in the Championship, the same year he won the player of the season award?

Edited by Hasta

41 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Did Derek Williams not make more than half of his appearances so far for Rovers in the Championship, the same year he won the player of the season award?

Apologies, yes of course, it's a season I've chosen to forget ?

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Do you mean the season we were relegated and conceded goals for fun?

Hardly a badge of honour for Williams.

Well 10 other players turned up week in, week out and the fans decided that's Williams was the best player over the full season. 

I'd be pretty proud of that if I was him.

• Like 5