BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Meanwhile over at Deepdale....

Have to admit I was taken slightly aback by how much resentment there was towards Rovers from PNE when we found ourselves in the same division again. Suppose it'd be less of a shock for those Rovers fans who actually live over that way, but I always saw them as a benevolent little brother more than anything else, quite wanted them to succeed in truth.

Anyway, I love the recurring arguments they give about how massive they would be if they were in the top flight, or how we'd have dwindled in to obscurity if Jack hadn't have stepped in. Both dubious in any case, but even if they were true it's a bizarre way of thinking. 

It's like saying If Man United sacked Ferguson and got some no mark to replace them, they could well have drifted into being another Aston Villa. Fine, but they didn't, and now they're one of the world's biggest clubs. PNE would get sell outs every week if they were in the top flight. Fine, but they haven't been in the top flight since Adam was a lad, so they don't.

Been hearing their bull crap for 30 years, they were a sleeping giant and we are akin to Bury if it weren't for Jack, they had the invincibles then Sir Tom but we were nothing till Jack etc etc

One of them once told me they'd be like Sunderland support wise if they had what Jack gave Rovers !   Thankfully just like Burnley all their wind and piss from back in the day has proven to be just that. They are no bigger nor better than Blackpool without the recent Oyston drama.

• Like 3

Posted this before but I'll never forget in the 90's seeing North End fans coming to Ewood to watch Rovers when Preston were playing away (they would stand out as they usually wore PNE scarves and hats).

Couldn't quite understand why another teams fans would come to another teams ground to watch them. My Dad explained it, matter of factly. "Well, they'll probably never watch a top Premier League side in the flesh."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, booth said:

Posted this before but I'll never forget in the 90's seeing North End fans coming to Ewood to watch Rovers when Preston were playing away (they would stand out as they usually wore PNE scarves and hats).

Couldn't quite understand why another teams fans would come to another teams ground to watch them. My Dad explained it, matter of factly. "Well, they'll probably never watch a top Premier League side in the flesh."

I think we attracted a lot of non-Rovers supporters at that time who simply wanted to see a high quality PL game. After all we had some of the biggest names in the game, the atmosphere was electric, the cavities were top class and you could almost always get a ticket.

Somehow can't see that happening at the Turd! (apart from ALWAYS being able to get a ticket!).

Just now, 47er said:

I think we attracted a lot of non-Rovers supporters at that time who simply wanted to see a high quality PL game. After all we had some of the biggest names in the game, the atmosphere was electric, the cavities were top class and you could almost always get a ticket.

Somehow can't see that happening at the Turd! (apart from ALWAYS being able to get a ticket!).

Accy Stanley fans would occasionally turn up as well. My Dad's workmate was a West Ham fan and he had a Rovers season ticket :D

Preston fan's obsession and hatred for us is really puzzling to me. Like Bolton fans they seem intent on fostering some kind of intense rivalry with Rovers. As with Bolton, I couldn't care less about them, I have about as much interest in Reading or Brentford. I hate Burnley with the entire fibre of my being and have a strong dislike of manyoo as well as not caring much for some other clubs for a variety of reasons. Preston and Bolton barely register. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Neal said:

They're struggling now but can't see Alex Neill taking them down, decent manager, he'll do enough to keep them up but could see him walking away if there's no investment. 

Neil said at fans meeting on Monday that he had 2 bids for players that would have broken the club transfer fees but went elsewhere

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Neil said at fans meeting on Monday that he had 2 bids for players that would have broken the club transfer fees but went elsewhere

What is their in record transfer fee? Can't imagine it being massive. 

8 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Preston fan's obsession and hatred for us is really puzzling to me. Like Bolton fans they seem intent on fostering some kind of intense rivalry with Rovers. As with Bolton, I couldn't care less about them, I have about as much interest in Reading or Brentford. I hate Burnley with the entire fibre of my being and have a strong dislike of manyoo as well as not caring much for some other clubs for a variety of reasons. Preston and Bolton barely register. 

Seconded. Spot on!

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Apparrently one was Armstrong but I hate when managers and chairmen come out and say stuff like that after the window.

Its just empty words, if they were serious about spending that money then they would have gone elsewhere. 

All being said, whilst Preston may struggle to recover enough to linger around the play offs, they will be fine and have a good squad at this level. Struggling with injuries, suspension and loss of form but it will change.

• Like 2

Seems to be a bit of controversy around their proposed new training ground at Ingol. They went through a very public and drawn out planning process and rallied supporters behind them to get permission to build over the golf club there with a new training ground and hundreds of new houses yet nothing seems to have happened since. The club insist that things are progressing and it will get built but one or two are suggesting that the priority is on getting the lucrative housing built.

I don't see them as a good side. Perhaps not a bottom 3 side but they certainly overachieved last year in going close to the play-offs and haven't really looked like they've strengthened since then. Not sure Neil is as good a manager as some think - he got off to a flyer at Norwich and took them up but the longer he was there the worse they got and again at Preston he inherited a decent side from Grayson, built on that and now they seem to be in a decline.

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 02:17, Norbert Rassragr said:

Preston hair Cutterer if you want to be accurate.

Have Preston won a major trophy in the 20th Century, let alone the 21st?

They won a solitary FA Cup in 1938, other than that their other 3 major trophies were way back in the first couple of years of the Football League.

23 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Have to admit I was taken slightly aback by how much resentment there was towards Rovers from PNE when we found ourselves in the same division again. Suppose it'd be less of a shock for those Rovers fans who actually live over that way, but I always saw them as a benevolent little brother more than anything else, quite wanted them to succeed in truth.

Anyway, I love the recurring arguments they give about how massive they would be if they were in the top flight, or how we'd have dwindled in to obscurity if Jack hadn't have stepped in. Both dubious in any case, but even if they were true it's a bizarre way of thinking. 

It's like saying If Man United sacked Ferguson and got some no mark to replace them, they could well have drifted into being another Aston Villa. Fine, but they didn't, and now they're one of the world's biggest clubs. PNE would get sell outs every week if they were in the top flight. Fine, but they haven't been in the top flight since Adam was a lad, so they don't.

Thats almost exactly what happened.......except Ferguson retired....................

Get the houses up and flogged and it pays for the training ground - after all the suits have had their cut and back handers of course - that's probably what they'll dress it up as.

I'd never rule out something similar in regards to houses at Brockhall there'll be a few involved somewhere who've had eyes on that for years if the planning can be got around I bet and we don't need a training ground building with the proceeds !

On the football side I think PNE maybe over achieved a little bit when they first came back up with that promotion bounce etc after being in league 1 for a good few years. Finding their level now which is probably lower midtable.