Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
riverkiller

Meanwhile over at Deepdale....

Recommended Posts

It would seem that the nobbers are turning against their ageing, billionaire owner Trevor Hemmings. The general feeling seems to be that having bought the club cheaply from the fans (by threatening administration if shareholders didn't accept 5p per share), Hemmings used the club for his own ends (tax purposes, soft loans),  used the fans to help get planning permission for a training ground and houses - now houses to be built, training ground not so certain).

It seems clear that Hemmings is getting ready to sell the club, but the talk is he wants £70m+ for it.  

We are all too aware what can happen when results deteriorate as a direct result of the owners of a football club. What next for Pne ? Could be interesting.

 

Edited by riverkiller
Repetition remov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, riverkiller said:

It would seem that the nobbers are turning against their ageing, billionaire owner Trevor Hemmings. The general feeling seems to be that having bought the club cheaply from the fans (by threatening administration if shareholders didn't accept 5p per share), Hemmings used the club for his own ends (tax purposes, soft loans),  used the fans to help get planning permission for a training ground and houses - now houses to be built, training ground not so certain).

It seems clear that Hemmings is getting ready to sell the club, but the talk is he wants £70m+ for it.  

We are all too aware what can happen when results deteriorate as a direct result of the owners of a football club. What next for Pne ? Could be interesting.

 

A lot of unhappiness at a lack of investment into the playing squad. Same thing happened a while back when Moyes and Davies had them knocking on the door of the Premier League and they ended up walking out and they sold most of their decent players and ended up sliding into League One.

I was surprised how well they did last season, this season was always likely to be more of a struggle. Neil is one of those managers who seems to set off doing really well and then it starts to unravel. Same thing happened for him at Norwich.

On the flip side if Hemmings is getting ready to sell he might be able to market them as a relatively well run, debt free established Championship club with a new training ground approved and a decent little stadium. £70 million is pie in the sky stuff but if he reduced that they might attract interest from wealthy people. Other small clubs like Barnsley and Wigan have managed to attract foreign interest despite hardly being attractive clubs to get involved with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread:

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?107219-Is-PNE-being-lined-up-for-general-onward-sale

£77million for Preston North End is obviously cloud cuckoo land stuff, but whenever I see valuations like this bandied about for clubs smaller/similar to us, always makes me look back to the actions of the Walkers in 2010 who sold the club for significantly less than just the playing squad was worth, nevermind Premier League status and the club’s assets.

I’m sure Preston fans were saying last season that they were a model club - unlike ourselves and Bolton - make the play offs and they could be the next Burnley. Now, a few bad results and Hemmings is an Oyston- esque asset stripper...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow, what a fickle bunch 

Wouldnt say fickle. Dont think they have ever been totally enamoured with the owner. David Healy is still their record signing and after 3 seasons in the top half with a well built talented squad I can understand why after selling 2 key players and spending a pittance in return, that their fans are frustrated at a time when they could have pushed on towards the Prem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Wouldnt say fickle. Dont think they have ever been totally enamoured with the owner. David Healy is still their record signing and after 3 seasons in the top half with a well built talented squad I can understand why after selling 2 key players and spending a pittance in return, that their fans are frustrated at a time when they could have pushed on towards the Prem.

Valid point, but I suppose the owner could make the case that they have been building well on a budget. They lost Hugill, who else? I think losing Maguire to injury was a big blow for them. He gave them some boost when he came back last season. He was by far the best player int he League of Ireland when he went over, but unlike the majority, he hit the ground running.  He was never really injury prone, so just unlucky it seems. 

Also, some teams just respond badly the season after not getting out of the play offs.

Sounds like you have a far better understanding of whats going on there than I do though. I would really only follow whats happening with them because so many Irish lads have gone over there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wouldnt say fickle. Dont think they have ever been totally enamoured with the owner. David Healy is still their record signing and after 3 seasons in the top half with a well built talented squad I can understand why after selling 2 key players and spending a pittance in return, that their fans are frustrated at a time when they could have pushed on towards the Prem.

Are they currently being run at a profit, or are they running at a loss and the fans are expecting the owner to throw more money at it?

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every now and again when I meet a northender, I usually Show a few sympathies with them that they’re the only club around here that’s never made it into the Premier. I remind them that even Blackpool made it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much all North End fans I've met have been utterly obsessed with and embittered towards Rovers. 

Edited by K-Hod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Are they currently being run at a profit, or are they running at a loss and the fans are expecting the owner to throw more money at it?

The figure mentioned most is that he is spending £500k per month the cover running costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, den said:

Every now and again when I meet a northender, I usually Show a few sympathies with them that they’re the only club around here that’s never made it into the Premier. I remind them that even Blackpool made it there.

Same mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Are they currently being run at a profit, or are they running at a loss and the fans are expecting the owner to throw more money at it?

Does anyone make a profit in the Championship unless they sell someone for big money or have parachute payments? Bolton, bizarrely, just announced a small profit but only because they sold Madine to Cardiff for £6m+. Hemmings has put in £73m according to that link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Does anyone make a profit in the Championship unless they sell someone for big money or have parachute payments? Bolton, bizarrely, just announced a small profit but only because they sold Madine to Cardiff for £6m+. Hemmings has put in £73m according to that link. 

Probably not, and that's a big problem with this league. If Hemmings has put in £73million, and is still funding it at £6million every year, what are the fans expecting him to do?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hasta said:

Probably not, and that's a big problem with this league. If Hemmings has put in £73million, and is still funding it at £6million every year, what are the fans expecting him to do?

 

Sell to a rich Sheikh probably. Beyond that, not much. 

I'm not sure how much he's worth or even that he's a PNE fan. He probably doesn't want to burden his businesses/family with the club so he's trying to offload in the hope of getting his money back. PNE fans were giddy when he took over but he seems to have just covered losses. Even that has proved expensive. The Prem is the only game in town for an owner unless you do a Fleetwood or AFC Fylde and come through the leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, riverkiller said:

The figure mentioned most is that he is spending £500k per month the cover running costs.

This is what they should be grateful for really considering where they've spent most of the last 30 years.

Rich business folk who aren't really football fans and own clubs through vehicles set up to run them do this mostly for business/finance and tax reasons. Under pinning running costs with profits from elsewhere and running a bit through the books to be taken out elsewhere. Added advantages of the corporate side, advertising for their other projects and a bit of an ego trip.

It's the way it is and those Nobbers who thought they'd got their very own Uncle Jack or Barry Kilby when TH bought their club were definitely in cuckoo land. Like I said above though he has ensured they've kept batting at a more decent level than they used to be.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's worth about £900 million but how much of that is available to spend is anyone's guess.

I spoke to him a few times about 16 years ago, both professionally and socially.  Lots of talk about horses but I don't remember him ever mentioning football once.

Most owners in the Champnship seem to have to be prepared to fund a small debt in the hope of getting lucky one season and the riches that come with it. The excessive parachute payments mean the relegated sides have a huge advantage but if it doesn't come off straight away it can also be a bit of a noose once they wear off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Another loss for Preston. 

fans not happy on twitter

I've got them with Ipswich and Rotherham for the drop. 

Cunningham and Hugill gave so much to the team. Not convinced with Neil as a manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hasta said:

He's worth about £900 million but how much of that is available to spend is anyone's guess.

I spoke to him a few times about 16 years ago, both professionally and socially.  Lots of talk about horses but I don't remember him ever mentioning football once.

Most owners in the Champnship seem to have to be prepared to fund a small debt in the hope of getting lucky one season and the riches that come with it. The excessive parachute payments mean the relegated sides have a huge advantage but if it doesn't come off straight away it can also be a bit of a noose once they wear off.

He used to be a Charlton Athletic fan, I think they'd be very grateful to have had his stewardship over the last few years !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

I've got them with Ipswich and Rotherham for the drop. 

Cunningham and Hugill gave so much to the team. Not convinced with Neil as a manager.

Looking a very good shout that right now, but I would never have thought they were in disarray before the season started (compared to Birmingham and Bolton etc at least). Bet you got good odds.

Has this been coming? Thought they had a good side in spite of off the field ballax and the loss of a couple of players?

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.