• Evans
    • Palmer
    • Dack
    • Conway
    • Armstrong
    • Graham
    • Harrison
    • Bennett

Not easy on the eye but an excellent battling away point and a very professional performance. The whole defence was excellent, I thought we would miss Mulgrew but Williams proved a more than able deputy. Smallwood and Evans' work rate was fantastic as was Bennett's and Reed when they came on. The only two negatives were that I thought Armstrong really struggled again and Raya's kicking was bloody awful again.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I think we certainly need some changes in personnel for the next game, based on comments so far. Fundamentally, I don’t see the point in signing players if we’ve no intention of getting them on the pitch.

Just glad we didn’t lose, it sounded fairly ominous after the first half!

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

A just promoted team takes a point away at one  of the big guns ...draw away ..win at home ..well done Blues!

Draw away, draw at home, for Rovers. 

Edited by AAK

Just now, Stuart said:

Boroblue said:

You entitles to your opinion. But you didn’t actually say if you watched the game or not.

That’s about as poor as we’ve played under Mowbray. It wasn’t a professional “shut up shop” performance. We have the ball away regularly and have been saved from what on balance probably deserved a 2-0 Derby victory. Possibly 2-1 with Dack missing the kind of chance he normally eats for breakfast.

Still, it’s a point in an away fixture that would have been a 1-pointer target. Mowbray got his team selection wrong tonight and we didn’t look our usual selves.

Overall, we can go on about who’s opinion is right but we have to be glad of a point. Certainly we will be happier than Derby after that.

Played awful and still gained a point ! Things are looking up!

Great result, proper reaction and spirit second half after we really struggled to contain Derby’s attacks first half - they really are a proper midfield unit, we hardly had a second hence the early change and Dack being quiet.

I could’ve picked 2 or 3, Nyambe was impressive at times, Graham did what he does, Lenihan made lots of little errors but has dominant spells, but Smallwood will be my Motm again, he did make a fair few mistakes, lax passes etc but so did the lot, particularly Williams, Evans, Armstrong and Raya scared me a few times. Richie’s effort, energy and will to get that second ball has a bigger impact on the team than many seem willing to give credit for.

No surprise that Derby are topping possession tactics, they made us chase all night. Don’t think they’ll do much though because some of their final third stuff was woeful. Perhaps they’re missing Tom Lawrence!

I think Reed also did well in a RWB or right midfield role (was hard to tell we seemed to be shifting between 532 and 442 in the end) so I’d want to see Evans rested next game. Rothwell, Brererton also potential options - it’s probably time to give Armstrong a rest.

Nyambe and Graham the two players who stood out positively to me.

Neither Smallwood nor Armstrong should be anywhere near our starting 11, both are L1 quality at best. We need either Reed/Bennett/Rothwell alongside Evans in the middle, and Armstrong upfront on his own in a game like that is a recipe for 0 possession and continually invited pressure early on.

How Rothwell struggles to get a game is baffling, I really want to see him playing alongside Dack.

Glad we held on to get an undeserved point. Will take them away from home in this league.

First half pretty atrocious, very obvious the line up and tactics were wrong, which we all knew they would be. Second half I thought it was pretty even, we should have scored with dack and evans had a decent chance, they hit bar from a free kick and newt else.

Again though, WHY is smallwood taking free kicks, we had one last few seconds edge of box and he might as well have just give Derby the ball. 

Reed tidy player needs to start over smallwood. 

There were no leaders in the first half, that's why we were so bad. Graham, bennett and mulgrew are the leaders and none of them were on pitch, with Graham and bennett we were a lot more competetive. 

Edited by AAK

Didn't see the game, but sounds like we were steeped. Where the heck was Mulgrew? 

What did people find strange about the starting line up? I notice a good few saying it, but other than Williams for Mulgrew, it's pretty much as I guessed it would be. Barring I would have played Rothwell instead of Palmer

How was Armstrong upfront? Will we ever make an out and out striker out of him? 

How did Palmer get on? 

Going off the subs, it sounds like they worked, but Mowbray really doesn't care about preferred positions does he 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Biggest point of the season so far. I can’t wait to see Tonyoz’s analysis, a sea of red ink! Whether or not Mogga got it wrong, I can’t recall seeing so many unforced errors across the entire team

Particularly Palmer Evans and Armstrong...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't see the games, but sound like we were steeped. Where the heck was Mulgrew? 

What did people find strange about the starting line up? I notice a good few saying it, but other than Williams for Mulgrew, it's pretty much as I guessed it would be. Barring I would have played Rothwell instead of Palmer

How did Palmer get on? 

Going off the subs, it sounds like they worked, but Mowbray really doesn't care about preferred positions does he 

They said Mulgrew was ill on ifollow, at least he aint injured, hopefully back for Stoke on Saturday

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Boroblue said:

You entitled to your opinion. But you didn’t actually say if you watched the game or not.

That’s about as poor as we’ve played under Mowbray. It wasn’t a professional “shut up shop” performance. We gave the ball away regularly and have been saved from what on balance probably deserved a 2-0 Derby victory. Possibly 2-1 with Dack missing the kind of chance he normally eats for breakfast.

Still, it’s a point in an away fixture that would have been a 1-pointer target. Mowbray got his team selection wrong tonight and we didn’t look our usual selves.

Overall, we can go on about who’s opinion is right but we have to be glad of a point. Certainly we will be happier than Derby after that.

Sorry Stuart I wouldn’t give opinion without observation. So yes I watched the game. However the great thing about football and this board is we can watch the same thing and see it differently. However the one thing we all agree on what a great point and I’d have taken that whichever way we got it.

• Like 1

Happy with a point. Delighted with one after that performance. Absolutely bizarre starting line up. Why Tony has signed, what is it , 7 players and only two start. We needed signing that could strengthen the starting 11, go straight in and make a difference. Nyambe was the man of the match easily. Evans and Smallwood again run around putting tackles in but it's when they are in possession that's the problem. We need someone like a, oh I don't know, reed Bennett or rothwell in their who can pass/drive  forward when we have the ball not constantly do a 8 yard pass to the centre backs. A big difference following on from that was how much we missed mulgrews composure and distribution, his ability to find a man and play out from the defence showed today. We we're bad, derby were bad and the game was awful. Thank God it's over

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

A pretty one-sided affair...

8553995D-07CB-4CE5-92A6-573E3604D671.jpeg

3827B683-7865-41B3-8B24-560BAB6F6479.jpeg

DEF50D9A-66F5-4BD4-A71E-9B8F1EF67048.jpeg

BD8EF052-1822-4738-8519-B50499A58922.jpeg

Defensively solid performance going off those defensive stats. Sheer workrate going off blocks, tackles  and interceptions. Strangely we probably had the best chance of the game, 3 v 2 on target is poor but especially poor for them with so much of the ball.

I think tonight showed how much quality Mulgrew gives us from the back, finding the player as opposed to giving it away. Hopefully he is back for Saturday.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't see the game, but sounds like we were steeped. Where the heck was Mulgrew? 

How did Palmer get on? 

Bennett and Reed should have started, Armstrong didn’t get a kick as the lone striker. Got moved out wide and was as ineffective, played a good through ball for evans who could have done better but hit it straight at Carson. Evans impressed again tonight though, Lenihan MOTM for me. We weren’t at it going forward but defensively there was no backs to the wall stuff really, I think the score would have stayed 0-0 if we played for another half an hour. I remember in the first 5 minutes Palmer beat a couple of players and I thought that this guy is up for it tonight, after that he disappeared really. Gave the ball away a few times before he was subbed. He wasn’t the only one guilty of that tonight. Overall though it’s a great point, would have taken that before the game.